Walking Wellies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have a birthday coming up and SWMBO has suggested a pair of wellies to keep me mobile during the winter months. They need to cope with mud and slush and to be comfortable enough for field edge and footpath walks of five to ten miles. Sort of thing for walking the dog if we had one. Up till now I've used bog standard wellies from the garden centre but they don't last long and aren't really suitable.

Grateful for any suggestions to guide choice.

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
54617-201216171636804928687.jpg
Rigger boots ? I can't walk too far in normal wellies because they rub at the top. The lower rigger boot type suit me better with tops that have a tie in.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Muck Boots or Grubs Boots are a good start.
Vast range according to your needs.

I got Grubs Snowlines after a recommend on here -
Comfortable, warm, & a sole like the tread on a tractor tyre....

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've had Hunter and Chameau in the past - I've got Hoggs at the moment; I will not be buying another pair of Hoggs - started leaking around the sole seam after just one winter :(

The problem I've had is getting a pair of wellies that are a good enough fit around the foot to walk in but aren't then a pain to get off. The best I've had were the Chameau but they're a bit pricy now.

A review I looked at recently was suggesting Muck Boots or Aigle (but they're French :) ) on a budget, but recommended Dubarry and Le Chameau (both expensive).

https://www.wonderfulwellies.co.uk/best-wellies-men/

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
This thread may be of interest https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/muck-boots-or-grubs.118308/#post-1468779
I have a pair of Grubs with Vibram sole are great for dog walking, they are Fenline but do not think they have Vibram sole any more. I got them from this website https://www.grubsbootsonline.co.uk/, would recommend being able to try them on though
I have a birthday coming up and SWMBO has suggested a pair of wellies to keep me mobile during the winter months. They need to cope with mud and slush and to be comfortable enough for field edge and footpath walks of five to ten miles. Sort of thing for walking the dog if we had one. Up till now I've used bog standard wellies from the garden centre but they don't last long and aren't really suitable.

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands

I have tried a number of types of welly in the past. I need a stiff sole as flexible soles affect my instep. Muck boots have always done the trick with Muckmaster model being the best for my needs.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If you can justify the cash leather lined Le Chameau cannot be beaten imo
When I was keepering I'd walk miles and miles every day in them and didn't regret the price for a minute....they are dearer nowadays though

Not hard wearing for daily use but muck boots are very comfy
The half height neoprene ones more so.
Be warned the aggressive tread pattern muck boots do is lethal on concrete. The standard pattern is grippy enough in mud

Avoid the likes of hoggs and Jack pyke

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would recommend the french Le Chameau.

Very, very comfortable, and super quality.
For the ultimate comfort, choose a size that you can have an extra sole in, and a pair of thick wool socks over the skin closest cotton or silk ones.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
May have to invest in a other pair of grubs my self after my current pair started leaking. Must have had them for about 4 or 5 years now and we're great.

I found the trick with the fit is to try them on in person or be ready to send them back. The next key thing is sock and insole choice. Almost as important as the welly choice. I would have a thich pure wool outer and thinner inner. This was for daily dog walking and woods bashing. One thing to be careful of when in the woods is getting too close to the fire....

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Boots are a very personal thing.
not only are our feet different shapes but we also heat up and sweat at different rates.
I used to work outside all day, every day and in my teens wore Hunter wellies or the very cheap plastic kind.
my feet were always soaked in sweat and squeaked when i walked! Not very pleasant
i have now changed to DuBarrys. not cheap i totally agree.
However i'm on my second pair now, not because of faulty goods so that must say something... my feet don't overheat and squeak even when others around do, even with them wearing mid to high end boots like Le Cham etc. a couple of weeks ago on a very hot October day i was walking back to base with some of my fellows for lunch. it was like a frog chorus song around me! fortunately no-one took their boots off while we were having lunch!
the other advantage of Dubarrys is the ability to form to your foot shape. As they are leather they wear in and mine fit me like a glove. I can walk or even run if i need to without fear of them being launched into a ditch at any moment.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Thank you for all the helpful advice and useful links.

I'm going to restrict myself to those brands I can examine and try on in the shop.

SWMBO is also grateful for your help in solving her annual problem of a present for "the man who has everything"!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When I was out a lot more than now, I wore Greb Kodiak lined leather boots. Waterproof. Very comfortable for miles and miles.
Wet grass was the absolute killer for the finish. One season and I was into the silicone grease.
Finally, the price put me off. But, I'd go back in a minute if I ever felt I needed to.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thank you for all the helpful advice and useful links.

I'm going to restrict myself to those brands I can examine and try on in the shop.

SWMBO is also grateful for your help in solving her annual problem of a present for "the man who has everything"!

Check gunshops for le chameau aigle and the like
Agricultural suppliers too

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Building on helpful advice here, went to a local farm and country supplies shop and tried a range. Settled on le Chameau. Far more comfortable than Muck on my legs. Good job I tried them, as a size smaller than I usually wear fitted best. Also, by going to the shop i got 15% discount. Saved a year's BCuk subscription!
Again, thanks for all the advice.

Reactions: chas brookes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE