Walking Sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
WhichDoctor said:
wow this makes me feel really rustic with my walking stick . I made mine by walking past a fallen hawthorn tree and seeing a branch that looked a bit like a walking stick, obviously someone ells had thought that as well because it had been bent and twisted in an attempted brake it off. So I got my knife out and cut it off, trimmed off the splintered ends and it turned out to be exactly the rite length for me. Apart from carving out the thumb grip a bit thats all i did to it, and its lasted a couple of years so far with out any real sines of wear.
Bet the original person was not best pleased if they came back. You might have needed the stick :lmao:

Sep 11, 2006
grays,essex
Check at local night school,country fairs etc. I had been making stick for about 2-3 years when i got chatting to a chap at a country fair who had a stand. He runs courses twice a year,perhaps there is someone like that in your neck of the woods. Also get down to your local libary and see if you can get a book called Stickmaking A Complete Course by Andrew Jones & Clive George. This is agreat book with lots of photos,diagrams etc for allsorts of sticks for the beginner. The ISBN no is 1-86108-083-2. If i can work out this new fangled technology I will try and post some pics of my sticks.

J

john habb

Hiya
Thanks for info on shanks, the only advice i would give for making a stick is to not overcomplicate. decide what you want and the size and go from there. Just done my 1st one now looking to start 2nd.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE