Walking Sticks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
I was just wondering if there are any stick makers among us? I rather fancy a thumbstick to accompany me on my journeys and would appreciate any tips on making one....

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
The quick easy and effective method, find some hazel, (mine has a base diameter(now it is cut to size) of 2cm (ish)the prongs are roughly 1cm thick each and 15 cm long) at this time of year (lots of people/parks needs things coppicing) go along and help for the wood. select a few likely peices with a forked top leave for 1 week in a shed to season a little.

Work the space between the prongs with a knike then sandpaper, until smooth and at the desired shape (the more natural you leave it the stronger it will be, try it constantly for confort) don't try for complicated shapes as they are likely to leave you with thumb blisters and weaken the Y on you stick.

Play around with another bit to work out the perfect height, I like mine so I can rest my wrists confortably in the y just under my chin, but it is a personal thing. Remember when sizing take it slowly you can always take a little off but, it is a real pain to add on length. The two angled prongs of the Y should also guide you, Walk using one then the other then the central groove, if you get it right the prongs should assist in hillclimbing comfort (because your thumb stick is longer than a walking stick you use it at an angle like a punt)

trim off side buds and branches smoothly then lightly sand off bark roughness (to touch, run it through your hands if it feels good its done), carve/decorate treat with linseed oil. hey presto... Then leave for a few weeks (be warned if you dry it out too fast it will split).

You can band the bottom with metal but I never do, my stick made like this has lasted many miles and two years so far and shows no real signs of wear and tear and if and when it does give up on me, I can burn it or ditch it and it will leave nothing but compost.

People have tried to buy, swap and even steal my stick, it looks beautiful the dark bark against the light tan wood creates a lovely effect. I have a few holes inthe tips where when educating children in woodlore I insert feathers and a hole just under the Y to thread willow cord to hold markers when using it as a story/journey stick.

It is really easy, the hardest bit is the measurements but take your time and feel them out, It will be a stick made just for you and perfect size.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I make basic walking sticks. I find some ash, or hazel, and peel the bark. Then dry by a fire for a few hours. Scrape it down until it's proper, and then begin sanding. Afterwards I rub it down with linseed oil about 6-7 times. Stick is done :D

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
holly is the best in my book it is very hard and durable and is easy to work with. be sure to dry out slowly as it will split if you dry it indoors :beerchug:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have a question, is it possible to make the 180b degree bend in the handle for a walking stick at home or do you need special equipment ?
leon

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Antonio Carluccio (italian chef) is a great proponent of 'thumb-sticks' (as also seen being carried by Ray and his munchkin chum on 'Wild Food'). I heard a very interesting Radio 4 programme about him a while back where he made one and then presented it to the presenter.

If you look at his mushroom book, 'The Quiet Hunt', you can see the ones he has made. I would, therefore, disagree with the comment made above about 'scraping' them down. If you leave the bark on most of the stick, you can carve amazing patterns into the stick and make is a little less ordinary. I have been inspired by Carluccio's book and am on the hunt for a good piece of Hazel for my own carved thumbstick.

Sorry - tried to find a picture on the web to show you what I mean but, alas, none!

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Thanks for the helpful replies - seems like there are plenty of options for the wood, which is nice as there isn't a huge amount of Hazel nearby. I reckon drying in the shed for a while will be the way forward as the heating is on in the house at the moment...

Pipistrelle said:
The quick easy and effective method, find some hazel, (mine has a base diameter(now it is cut to size) of 2cm (ish)the prongs are roughly 1cm thick each and 15 cm long) at this time of year (lots of people/parks needs things coppicing) go along and help for the wood. select a few likely peices with a forked top leave for 1 week in a shed to season a little.

Work the space between the prongs with a knike then sandpaper, until smooth and at the desired shape (the more natural you leave it the stronger it will be, try it constantly for confort) don't try for complicated shapes as they are likely to leave you with thumb blisters and weaken the Y on you stick.

Play around with another bit to work out the perfect height, I like mine so I can rest my wrists confortably in the y just under my chin, but it is a personal thing. Remember when sizing take it slowly you can always take a little off but, it is a real pain to add on length. The two angled prongs of the Y should also guide you, Walk using one then the other then the central groove, if you get it right the prongs should assist in hillclimbing comfort (because your thumb stick is longer than a walking stick you use it at an angle like a punt)

trim off side buds and branches smoothly then lightly sand off bark roughness (to touch, run it through your hands if it feels good its done), carve/decorate treat with linseed oil. hey presto... Then leave for a few weeks (be warned if you dry it out too fast it will split).

You can band the bottom with metal but I never do, my stick made like this has lasted many miles and two years so far and shows no real signs of wear and tear and if and when it does give up on me, I can burn it or ditch it and it will leave nothing but compost.

People have tried to buy, swap and even steal my stick, it looks beautiful the dark bark against the light tan wood creates a lovely effect. I have a few holes inthe tips where when educating children in woodlore I insert feathers and a hole just under the Y to thread willow cord to hold markers when using it as a story/journey stick.

It is really easy, the hardest bit is the measurements but take your time and feel them out, It will be a stick made just for you and perfect size.

Do you have a pic of your walking stick, I am very curious?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
leon-b said:
i have a question, is it possible to make the 180b degree bend in the handle for a walking stick at home or do you need special equipment ?
leon

Leon, you need a bucket of wet sand and somewhere to heat it up (campfire?). Place the thick end of your stick in the bucket of wet sand and place it on the fire. Let it boil for a good half hour or so.

In the meantime take a short log about the same diameter as you want for the inside of the stick handle (5-6" is about right) You'll also need a 'G clamp'.

Remove the stick from the sand and clamp one (hot) end to the log with the G clamp. The stick will be soft and pliable so bend it round the log and tie it into place. Let it set for 24 hours then remove the clamp. Trim and round the butt of the handle, sand smooth and varnish or oil. Job done!

Eric

Reactions: xylaria and Toddy

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Eric_Methven said:
Leon, you need a bucket of wet sand and somewhere to heat it up (campfire?). Place the thick end of your stick in the bucket of wet sand and place it on the fire. Let it boil for a good half hour or so.

Now that's a neat trick! Much more portable than a steam chamber.

thanks Eric! :You_Rock_

Bob

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
Eric_Methven said:

In the meantime take a short log about the same diameter as you want for the inside of the stick handle (5-6" is about right) You'll also need a 'G clamp'.

Remove the stick from the sand and clamp one (hot) end to the log with the G clamp. The stick will be soft and pliable so bend it round the log and tie it into place. Let it set for 24 hours then remove the clamp. Trim and round the butt of the handle, sand smooth and varnish or oil. Job done!

Eric

never used hot sand, sounds easier than boiling water/steam, again I am really greatful. Thanks. Any chance of a bushcraftuk course? for us all to benefit from your amazing amount of knowledge!

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
penvisser said:
Do you have a pic of your walking stick, I am very curious?

stick1med_quality.jpg

Here goes!

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
wow this makes me feel really rustic with my walking stick . I made mine by walking past a fallen hawthorn tree and seeing a branch that looked a bit like a walking stick, obviously someone ells had thought that as well because it had been bent and twisted in an attempted brake it off. So I got my knife out and cut it off, trimmed off the splintered ends and it turned out to be exactly the rite length for me. Apart from carving out the thumb grip a bit thats all i did to it, and its lasted a couple of years so far with out any real sines of wear.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i bought mine at a show, it has a big lump at the top and i have just put bit of copper end pipe on it, i dont like the colour so i will need to use it in mud lol, i am might varnish it soon
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE