WALKING STICKS [CROOK]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Don,t know if this is the right place to post this but here we go anyway.

I,m going to try making walking sticks, the kind herdsmen used to use,you know the kind,the ones with horn handles that were used for hooking lambs by the back legs when the herd wanted to check them over.

So i just wondered if anybody else had any experience with making these things.

I,ve got a nice old bit of coppice not to far from my home.

The reason i,m trying to make these things is because i used to have an old herd that used to stay next door to me. He was going to show me how to make them,but unfortunately he became ill and saddly died, so he never got the chance to pass the skill on to me. So i,ve done some reading on the subject and i,m going to give it a bash.

I thought i would be nice to learn another craft.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i fancy a crack at that myself, there`s a woodturning place near me that does walking stick courses ,, i`d rather find out myself than do a course ,let us know how you get on , i just finished carving a cup whoich i`m pleased with, cheers al

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
A good book on making 'sticks is Walking and Working Sticks.
I can't remember the name of the author off the top of my head but he tells you everything you need to know. (including dealing with ram's horn)

Favourite part: there's a cartoon with a man holding a block of wood. A second man is stood next to him with a carved wooden duck saying, "it's easy - just remove the bits that don't look like a duck!"

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
stuart f said:
Don,t know if this is the right place to post this but here we go anyway.

I,m going to try making walking sticks, the kind herdsmen used to use,you know the kind,the ones with horn handles that were used for hooking lambs by the back legs when the herd wanted to check them over.

Was it a leg crook or a neck crook?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Jack, to awnser your question i just fancy trying to make all kinds,from using horn to just carving animals out of the wood. I mean i,m no pro, but a compleat novice when it comes down to it. The unfortunate thing is that the herd never got the chance to show me any construct methods, but i did get a good look at the end product so i have a rough idea of whats needed. Sorry a bit long winded for a short awnser.

Incidentally the herd used to make both sorts, neck and leg crooks.
CHEERS
STUART F.

PS i received my Lapp Puukko in the post a couple of weeks back from you and its a cracking bit of kit. Thanks

J

Jamie

hey stuart

a friend of mine is a stick maker, try dropping him a line to see if he can help in any way. heres his web address.

all the best

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
133735.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
133732.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Here is a couple of Hazel wands that i collected today,they will hopefully become nice walking sticks.

All i have to do now is let them season for a year :roll:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
They have the potential to be very nice sticks - good find. :biggthump

I tend to use walking style sticks when beating.
When I'm walking round the woods I look out for potential sticks, if they're not quite straight or thick enough I train them to another stick or weight them down so I get a nice 90 degree bend at the handle and then come back the following year to harvest them.
Works well. You need to keep an eye on them through the year to make sure they're growing how you want them.

Haven't tried carving or anything though

Cheers

Mark

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sometimes called a 'cromach' in these parts.

I was given one a few years ago - the traditional sort with a thistle at the end of the hook.

Being longer than an ordinary walking stick it is useful for wading, supporting a telescope, and as a pole to support hide netting.

Useful kit - good luck with it.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
If you are looking to hook lambs, sheep... one way as was shown to me was to cut a sturdy sapling with a branch junction at a 45 deg., trim the branch to a 8"-10" stub, invert the whole tree, lop of the bottom and keep the top of the sapling with the junction and voila an expedient shepard's crook.
just a thought

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE