Walking Poles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Another vote for Pacerpoles. I have an attachment on mine so it can be used as a monopod for the camera, and I believe there was an attachment which could connect them to be used as an upside down V to drape your tarp over!

kP

E

ex member coconino

Another vote for Pacerpoles. I have an attachment on mine so it can be used as a monopod for the camera, and I believe there was an attachment which could connect them to be used as an upside down V to drape your tarp over!

Ah, interesting. Would it be sturdy enough to hold a pair of 10x50s? I often lug a tripod, but if a walking pole could be used as a monopod it would go some way to lightening my load.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

kP

I wish I'd bought that attachment when I got my poles, might have to treat myself.

Did you get the alloy or carbon poles btw ?

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
i use a leki [one] its the only way i can get down slopes though if i can i walk down backwards.
i have had major knee ops on both knees.
what i do is lengthen it for down and shorten on the flat.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Had a look at Tesco ones at the weekend. Cork grips and seem quite solid. The basket is a bit minimalist. They have integral shocks, nothing OTT with just a couple of inches travel. No price on them in the shop - so I didn't buy them, but online they're quoted at £9 each. Anyone tried one in anger?

SS08100-0699TPS299308.jpg

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Ah, interesting. Would it be sturdy enough to hold a pair of 10x50s? I often lug a tripod, but if a walking pole could be used as a monopod it would go some way to lightening my load.

Not sure about the weight of the bins, but the poles are sturdy and would imagine it would be ok. You could give them a shout and I'm sure they could advise.. They were very helpful when I lost the small basket in some mud- they sent 2 replacements as well as snow baskets...

E

ex member coconino

Not sure about the weight of the bins, but the poles are sturdy and would imagine it would be ok. You could give them a shout and I'm sure they could advise.. They were very helpful when I lost the small basket in some mud- they sent 2 replacements as well as snow baskets...
Thanks, the bins are around a kilo, so more like the weight of a large SLR than a pocket camera. If your screw fitting is the one shown on their web site then it's almost certainly not up to it, though great for small cameras.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Thanks, the bins are around a kilo, so more like the weight of a large SLR than a pocket camera. If your screw fitting is the one shown on their web site then it's almost certainly not up to it, though great for small cameras.

Just had a look on the website and mine is all metal so perhaps more sturdy.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Another + vote for walking poles. I have had a pair pf Lekis for about 20 years now and they are still going strong. I tend to use them more if I am lugging a heavy sac but don't forget that they are also excellent in deep snow, as long as you remember to fit the baskets!

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Has anyone noticed the original question/o.p was asked 5 years ago :D

After seeing some friends use poles recently, a pair of leki's are on the list... That seems to be growing, and growning.

al.

bearbait

I've used a single Leki pole for many years. I prefer a single pole so my free hand/arm can be used to shift my point of balance around when on on uneven terrain, or to hold on to a rock/tree/tenuous piece of grass on tricky going. (Whilst the wrist loops are useful I've found in some situations a "loose pole" dangling off my wrist can do its utmost to trip me up thereby compounding the situation - hence the single pole use. Maybe it also harks back to the old nautical expression: One hand for yourself and one hand for the ship.) I carry the pole in hand or on my pack on the level and use it only on gradients: great for ascents and brilliant for descents.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE