Walking from Dover to London

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
One option is the North Downs Way (National Trail) Take the Southern loop from Dover via Folkstone rather than the old Pilgrim route via Canterbury. The trail will take you to the North of Sevenoaks in Kent, from there it will be local footpaths/cycle routes.
The NDW will keep you away from virtually all road traffic and re-supply food/water etc: is easy.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
One option is the North Downs Way (National Trail) Take the Southern loop from Dover via Folkstone rather than the old Pilgrim route via Canterbury. The trail will take you to the North of Sevenoaks in Kent, from there it will be local footpaths/cycle routes.
The NDW will keep you away from virtually all road traffic and re-supply food/water etc: is easy.

Thanks for the advice. Seems perfect.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Are you after the most "direct" route? the most scenic route? or the most interesting route? or a balance of the three?

You could follow the Saxon shore way from Dover as far as Gravesend, then follow the Thames the rest of the way. Or Saxon Shore Way to Rochester, and join the North Downs Way...

North downs way to Ashford, join the green sands way heading west, and then hang a north somewhere around when you cross 0° longitude?

There are lots of interesting options for the route. Wikipedia has a handy map of the long distance routes in Kent.

1024px-Kent_Long_Distance_Footpaths.png

The Long Distance Walking Association website may be useful for choosing routes, and working out which long distance paths inter connect nicely.

What ever route you decide on, this sounds like an interesting walk, if you can, do a write up on your trip.

Julia

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The 'Via Francigena' an medieval pilgrim route between London and Rome is still in use today.

It uses the National Cycle Network route 'NCR1' from Grenwich to Dover.

More here.

:)

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just had a look, there is a foot path that Connects the North Downs Way with the Thames called the Thames Down Link. So you really could walk the North downs way then hang a right onto the Thames Down Link, and you're in Kingston Upon Thames, London...

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
The north downs way seems ideal for me. Nearer the time I shall ask people if they want to walk with me. It's part of my 400 mile charity walk for the Alzheimer's Society in June.

I am based in Canterbury and have always wanted to do some of the North Downs Way. So let me know nearer the time, and I'll see if I can join you for a few km.

Julia

Nov 30, 2014
Folkestone
Quote Originally Posted by boisdevie View Post
The north downs way seems ideal for me. Nearer the time I shall ask people if they want to walk with me. It's part of my 400 mile charity walk for the Alzheimer's Society in June.

I am based in Canterbury and have always wanted to do some of the North Downs Way. So let me know nearer the time, and I'll see if I can join you for a few km.

Julia

I'm just down the road from Dover, in Folkestone, I'd be well up for joining you too.

Matt

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Just had a look, there is a foot path that Connects the North Downs Way with the Thames called the Thames Down Link. So you really could walk the North downs way then hang a right onto the Thames Down Link, and you're in Kingston Upon Thames, London...

Julia

Thanks for this one Julia; I hadn't come across that path before - and I live right next to Kingston so might have to give it a go

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Thanks for this one Julia; I hadn't come across that path before - and I live right next to Kingston so might have to give it a go

Found via the long distance walkers website. If you find a route in their directory, the page links to routes that link with that route, and you can follow from there. Lots of interesting stuff on that site.

J

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
In my youth (late 1980s) I walked the North Downs Way from Farnham to Dover. It's a great walk which took me and my mate (if memory serves) 10 days. Great scenery/views and flora along the way (depending on the time of year). It was my second attempt. The first attempt had to be abandoned due to the number of wind blown trees across the trail...it was the summer following the great storm of 1987.

I found the walk to be more challenging than West Highland Way as it often ascends and descends the face of the Downs as it snakes its way to Dover....but I think it is fair to say the most difficult parts of the trail are in Surrey around Box Hill.

I managed to find "unofficial" places to sleep/camp along the entire route, although one night was spent sleeping in a rural bus shelter. Ablutions came courtesy of pub toilets but I was nearly caught on several occasions washing my backside in the sink :) The trick is to be quick and, once clean, make a swift dash for a cubicle to dry off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE