Waiting in for the postie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Gorgeous day today and at half seven I got a text to say RM were going to deliver a couple of parcels - Buggeration! :mad:

Grumped about a bit after taking the dog out for a short walk and then decided not to waste the day and got a bit of sewing done that I'd been putting off, but sat indoors with a sewing machine seemed a shame, so I went out int he garden, had a go at @Neil1 wizards and then remembered I'd pretty much burned the tines off my wooden fork the last time I was out camping so made another to replace it. It clearly needs a bit more work and a soak in oil but an hour well spent and better than moping about indoors.

My mate seemed blissfully happy with his lot too... :)

We have a large colony of house sparrows nearby and they are a common visitors to the feeders, as are green and goldfinches, but today I was pleased to see this cumnock after the mealworms with a couple of its friends, as well as a robin.

Feeling we hadn't wasted the morning, I went indoors to make a brew and spotted what I thought was a pigeon going into the shed mooching for food, but no.....

I'm guessing a youngster, but as bold as brass for a sparrowhawk as it had a good look around the garden.

Perhaps I should stay in more often? :rolleyes: :smile:

Edited to say I've no idea why the text turned blue half way through! ? :banghead:

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Amazing sparrow hawk pics. I've seen them hunting on the ground a few times now, even chasing small birds on foot through the bushes. I think they do it more than people think.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Amazing sparrow hawk pics. I've seen them hunting on the ground a few times now, even chasing small birds on foot through the bushes. I think they do it more than people think.

I've had them in a few times because pigeons grub about after the stuff scattered from the feeders and make easy prey and yes, I've seen them chasing birds and the like before now, but this is the first time I've had one pop in the shed for a rummage which makes me think it was a relative youngster. Gorgeous birds. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that was a totally un-wasted morning :D
Very productive, and an interesting kind of sit at peace and watch the world kind of day :cool:

Beautiful hawk too. They are incredibly confident, and if they've caught something, they have no intention of moving off until they're done. The only thing is that they leave the garden looking like a pillow burst. Astonishing amount of feathers on a pigeon really.

M

Reactions: beachlover

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I keep asking BcUK members to carve some forks for me to look at.
Finally. I like the design and the effort.
I must try that style. Good time filling project.
Thank you.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I keep asking BcUK members to carve some forks for me to look at.
Finally. I like the design and the effort.
I must try that style. Good time filling project.
Thank you.

It was just a bit of fun and a time filler really. It needs properly finishing. The last one I made properly, out of hawthorn I think and it lasted over five years, but letting my nine-yearold grandson tend the firebox last summer on a camping trip saw the tines reduced to mere stumps. :biggrin:

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Kids will be kids. Let me guess: thick as my thumb, 12" long and fresh/green wood? (the fork, that is.)
Think I can find some trash alder that I can walk to (sense of balance badly upscrewed.)
I'll keep all the chips and shavings, alder is a traditional wood here for smoking fish.

325F veg oil for 3 minutes 30 seconds and cool will seal the wood for a decade or more.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Kids will be kids. Let me guess: thick as my thumb, 12" long and fresh/green wood? (the fork, that is.)
Think I can find some trash alder that I can walk to (sense of balance badly upscrewed.)
I'll keep all the chips and shavings, alder is a traditional wood here for smoking fish.

325F veg oil for 3 minutes 30 seconds and cool will seal the wood for a decade or more.

Yep. Around 1” diameter.
I need a treatment to make it grandson and fire proof I think! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE