Voyageur/Mertis Sash. Where to get, who makes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Second link closed for security reasons Mary!?
Top link looks right, French/Canadian company on ebay using hand looms aswell
BIG money on the finger woven ( as one would expect..)
Thanks!
Chris.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the right address, but it's a puzzle why :dunno:

go to Google and type in crios belt, and it's Cleo Irish handknits. The link to the belts comes up under Men.

HWMBLT says that it's a secure site because it's selling stuff.

I opened it when I first posted, and again a moment ago, with no issues.

No connection to the seller, just that I really admire good handcrafts :)

Mary

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak to Humblebumble.....I taught him to spin years ago, and the lad took the little information I gave him and worked at learning more; he's now one of the most capable weavers I know :D He's at the textiles college in the Borders now, but he makes braids to order to help pay for materials for his course.

atb,
Mary

Hi Chris

What exactly are you looking for? I search Metis Sash, and I find a sash as worn by american indians, which appears to be of a 2/2 twill loom-woven structure.

The first of mary's links, i'm not sure of the structure of the fabric, but it looks like by fingerweaving they maybe mean fingerknotting as you find in those wee bracelets the wee kids in south america make for tourists.

The second link is pretty clearly inkle-woven bands.

I can weave loom-woven fabric in any colours you like, inkle-woven fabric (though my inkle weaving is a little basic), or tablet-woven bands of any level of complexity you care to name.

I am generally of the opinion that given a choice I'd always choose a tablet woven band for anything narrower than 3" and loom woven for anything over. Either can be made in whatever thickness and from whatever material you like. Though a tablet woven band has more structural strength due to it's warp-twined nature, you can get more colour variation into a loom-woven fabric as you can see both the warp and the weft.

If you wish to talk in more detail send me a PM. I'll happily talk about fabric till the cows come home

cool link John. I wasn't aware that's what people meant by finger weaving, cheers! :)

Boy is that labour intensive, i wonder if the same effect could be created by kumihimo, it definitely looks like a kumihimo band in the finished stage. Though for a wider band I suppose we'd be talking about a taka-dai. I've always wanted one, but how many looms can one boy fit into his front room before his dog has nowhere to sleep?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Fantastic link EM, thank you!
Finger weave is out, as you say Mr bumble, FAR too labour intensive ( for me, read expensive!)
Hand loom ?
Humble sir, what do you make of the ones made in Canada on ebay?
Thanks so much for getting back to me, all of you.
Best.

Chris.

My experience with the sashes is through historical reenacting, most of the ones for sale are made of polyester, not good for me but probably ok for some.They look good to me but I can't say if its a good price or not.(I paid $300 for a long, finger wove one, made of hand died red wool) If you just want it for looks, one wrap around you is good if you really want to use it twice is necessary. The voyagers used them the same as a weight lifter uses a leather belt, they used to portage heavy loads past rapids etc often 200ib + at a time

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
Just too add a bit of extra info - In Ray Mears series on Canada (cant rmemeber which episode and am at work so cant check) he interviews a lady weaving a voyaguers sash (in the foyer of a hospital i think) and indeed they are used like a weight lifters belt for support and do have a pocket type fold in them but I seem to remember they a woven from the centre outwards they are finger woven with a technique that seem to be a really wide plait - you guys in the know will no doubt correct this if i'm wrong

hope this helps

Gary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE