volunteering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I was just wondering how many of us bushcrafters do contryside based volunteering? I have just started as part of my college course and am having a great time.

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
When my local ranger service fells any trees i volunteer to take the logs away.
Seriously id love to do this if i had the time.
Soloman

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
When my local ranger service fells any trees i volunteer to take the logs away.
Seriously id love to do this if i had the time.
Soloman

I know what you mean when I was working I could never find the time as I say its part of course requirements now.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I volunteer with RSPB,i'm also depute leader of local group.

I courier for local wildlife rescue too.

Work with Barn Owls in the local area.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
did a year as an FTV for the NT. Also have done a fair bit for Herts & Middx Wildlife Trust and some for another local conservation group.

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
Done a fair bit during the summer/autumn months for a few different places, and it was great. Outdoors 3-4 days a week. Hard work but very satisfying. it's woth it purely for the health/sleep benefits.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I volunteer as a warden for the NT in Essex. 1000 acres of ancient woodland to help in. Duties can include all sorts of forestry, sign replacement and my personal favourite emptying the bins around the cafe and lake area! The best bit is that I teach on the Forest Survival courses and am currently working on lesson plans for advanced courses for the New Year! On a sour note my hip is giving me a lot of pain, I just hope it's a groin strain and nothing more severe!:eek::rolleyes:

Forgot to mention my first degree was in Land Use Ecology & Conservation though after 3 yrs in the field I realized I couldn't afford to raise a family on the wages (twas the early 80's). Often regret leaving conservation hence the volunteering! Used to bash the Rhodo's too and my boss the conservation officer had an abject hatred of Sycamore so we bashed that as much as possible too:AR15firin

I await your ribald comments!

Last edited:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Just spend most of today hauling allsorts of stuff we cut from the local moss, also did a bit of rhododendron annihilation, flipping EVIL stuff.
thanks to calibanzwei i've been getting more into the volunteering side, so RIMAG hold monthly work days (Risley Moss Action Group) the site is local and its an SSSI and utterly fascinating.
next sunday i'm off to help sankey valley park with some of their stuff, really enjoying it so far and if you can get into any voles schemes (what the trusts etc call their volunteers) i'd recommend it. you learn a fair bit too, plus if your after surplus wood there's no better place to go ;)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I work with volunteers doing woodland crafts, and rearly enjoy it.
The pace is a little slower than im used to working but they dont get paid and are knocking on a bit, but the laughs and the skill sharing is more than worth it.

If I had a job that didn't involve playing with trees all the time i'd be the one volunteering!

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I really want to start volunteering does anyone know the best place to look for volunteer work

you can have a look on the National Trust website, almost all properties have voley parties. You could also try your local Wildlife Trust, or if there's an RSPB site near you. See if you can find any nature reserves near you, they'll be signs up saying who manages it, then give them a call.

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
I've just volunteered through our local council - their rangers have conservation mornings in the local woods where people can help out, so I've asked to join in.

I did a week with the conservation trust volunteers years ago - had a great time and got many blisters :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE