vista

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 27, 2007
essex
Ok, im almost red in the face with rage from this so called advanced windows system!

Shall I complain and go back to XP or this just a wonky copy I have?

It keeps freezing, files vanishing and all sorts of other things!

Kris

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Ok, im almost red in the face with rage from this so called advanced windows system!

Shall I complain and go back to XP or this just a wonky copy I have?

It keeps freezing, files vanishing and all sorts of other things!

Kris

Sounds like Vista to me! It's a crock when it doesn't work... New machine pre-installed or did you upgrade? Hope you took a backup first if you upgraded...

Sep 27, 2007
essex
A new everything. Blinking thing, its a royal pain in the toosh! It was already installed on the PC. Spent almost 2K on it as well!!!! good job its more for personal use than the business systems but its still business spec, mainly for for my photographs.

I think I may get a refund and go back to XP, the service is as bad as the system too.

I won't mention names.

Kris

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`d say go back to XP if they can do it for you. We`ve just rolled 800 PC clients at work back to XP from Vista because it was to flakey and costing the business pennies.

It`s still early days yet for Vista customers and it`s always the same for any MS operating system, it`s probably a bug and will eventually get sorted. On the other hand you could have a hardware fault and a check by the suppliers should confirm this. Either way it shouldn`t cost you a penny.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I seem to be the only lucky one in the land. I've had no problems with a preinstalled Vista Business version on a Sony laptop (touch wood etc etc). Looks pretty but I wouldn't upgrade if I had XP on a machine already.

Pablo.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
Was in almost the same situation a few months ago. Stuck Vista on a brand new PC at home... very fast, 64 bit dual core, 2 gig RAM (that's about as much techno-babble as I could get my head around), and it was soooooo slow. It felt like it needed a handle on the side for me to wind it up a bit.
Long and the short was I gave up and installed my old copy of XP on there instead. Now lightening fast.
Given the choice I'd go mac without question. The only problem is I've got programs I need to run which aren't mac compatible. If you haven't, that would definitely be the way I would go

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Thanks everyone for advice. And sorry Tomtom, I didn't realise I had put the thread in the wrong room :(

I had a PC tech out today and he said its Vista but the company I got it from won't downgrade to XP (yet). The DVD dives were on the wonk too!

Anyway, they have agreed to swap the system (the lot) but only for the same set up. The guy who looked at it for me said he has been trouble free with Vista so far.

Anyway, I am going to try and get XP again but I think I will need to ask for a full refund and re-order to get it done!

I would love a MAC but I too need programs that won't run on them :(

Kris

Beat me to it Tony!

All new Macs now come with something called Bootcamp which means you can load Windoze as well as OSX (although I'll say at this point that I've never tried it myself as all my office software is now completely compatible - e.g. I can write a letter in Pages, then email it to myself at work (PC) to finish it off in Word. Or if I'm working on a Powerpoint presentation at work, I can still work on it in Keynote on the Mac at home).

At risk of being a Mac bore (and hijacking the thread!). I'd say go for it - they are secure out of the box (no third party security software required) and whilst the hardware is generally more expensive, the software is much cheaper and you'll find the Mac will last a lot longer too (our desktop is coming up to 8 years old with no glitches, loss of speed and up to date software - which is pretty ancient by computer standards).

I have no affiliation to the company - I just hear an awful lot of Windows/ PC users discussing problems that I don't seem to have!

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Thanks guys, I will be looking into the world of the Mac! I read this afterwards but I have managed to go back to XP and get a free printer worth £100 so thats somthing but its never too late to cancel ;)

Kris

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
is it your machine specs? Vista eats up alot of your CPU and all that stuff JUST running the operating system alone, and all sorts of magical stuff happens then :/

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I'm with the mac bore GET A MAC even the blokes in the office who dont run with OS have noticed the differance...and they look nice

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I've got 4 mac's :) and 3 windows pc's as well :( I only use it for work (mandatory) and games, although now I've got a PS3 I don't seem to be playing the PC very much..

Sep 27, 2007
essex
It took hours on the phone to India and many e-mails but I have now got a new PC with XP on it and a free printer and other gear worth £200, BUT..... on this "new" computer the DVD/CD drive won't work! Oh the joys of owning such a machine!

I will look into a Mac in the future but for the office I need a team of PC's as they are a tad cheaper, so I’m sure the fun of my personal PC will be nothing compared to a bunch of business one :(

Kris

D

Deleted dude 7861

Indian helpdesks please don't get me started :banghead: I'm on the end of their call logging for pc hardware faults at times. Easier to find somebody local who will help you out for a pint :D well I get paid in bottles of wine these days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE