visiting BC and Alberta

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
We're looking at a tripover to Banff and then Vancouver next year and pretty expensive it is too. 10 Years ago we did a 2 week trip from Calgary to Vancouver through the Rockies via Banff, Jasper Icefields, Kamloops and Victoria and loved it. This time we're going with friends and don't want to just repeat the trip so we're looking at around 5 nights in Banff and the same in Vancouver. Anyone done anything similar and have a ny suggestions? We'll probably go from Banff back to Calgery and fly to Vancouver but we're trying to do this without breaking the bank so any advice on travel companies or personal experience gratefully received.

Cheers all.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
We were over looking at jobs and houses about 13 years ago and fell in love with Canmore , it is just outside the national park before you get to Banff and is probably a bit cheaper to stay in than inside the park . We also did a few nights camping in Kananaskis and Jasper

Craig..........

bearbait

You could hire a car - shouldn't be too bad between four of you. And drive from Calgary to Banff and the Rockies and then on to Vancouver, then fly out of Vancouver back to Heathrow. Some car hire companies are cool with one-way hires. (NB Virgin are starting London to Vancouver flights sometime this year.) And camping in the National Parks and Provincial Parks is pretty good. You can have fires in the fire pits, although the National Parks charge extra (certainly Banff and Jasper do) for a fire "permit" but you do get "free" firewood included. If you're camping swot up on being "Bear Aware", unless you already are from your last trip! If you fancy sharing a room with your buddies you can get rooms with two double beds at various motels and hotels which can ease the cost.

The drive into Vancouver from the north via Lillooet is stunning (as is much of B.C.) but this is especially good.

In and around Banff I mostly hiked so can't offer too much there. I guess you visited Lake Louise last time in the Rockies? Certainly worth a look and a hike or two. There are some nice short hikes off from the Icefield Parkway if you're into that. The Edith Cavell and Angel glaciers up around Jasper I thought was way way better than getting the n-wheel-drive trip out on to the Athabasca glacier on the Columbia Icefield from the Icefield Parkway. YMMV.

In Vancouver - the Sun Yat Sen Garden is good for a bit of peace from Vancouver for a couple of hours, in Chinatown. The Buddhist Temple in Richmond (one of the 'burbs) is worth a visit, as is Granville Island and the Museum of Anthropology. The Visitor Center at Canada Place will provide loads of ideas for other stuff to do. If you're into camping and all sorts of outdoor stuff go and be awed at MEC on Broadway.

If you don't have a car in Vancouver the buses and the Skytrain will get you around. You can get a network map for a very few dollars from a number of places. The tickets are zoned so you can swap from bus to train and back for, I think, 90 minutes within your purchased zones. I'm expect that you can probably get day/week tickets too. If you do have a car make sure your hotel/motel has allotted parking.

If you plan on taking your laptop you can generally get free internet from the Public Libraries, although sometimes this is time-limited. Also some Visitor Centres provide it too.

Have a great trip!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bedarbait what is Canadian rail travel like? I mean cross country rail, not intra-city. Do they offer scenic trips with the domed glass cars? Their website doen't give a lot of info apart from schedules and fares.

Also, Bonzo Frog, if you do the car rental be aware of the Truckstops in North America. The name is misleading as many (if not most) of the larger ones are actually travel centers catering to RVs and autos as well as trucks. They usually have food (retaurant and/or fast food) fuel, a travel store (shop) and many have exercise trails (both for you to get a short walk and to execise your pets) internet access, ATMs, etc.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
Train travel in Western Canada is abysmal- the domed car runs through the Rockies have been privatized and the company that does them, Rocky Mountain Rail Tours is currently having its workers picket their offices on strike.

Rail service in Canada is strictly for freight nowadays...

Your best bet is to either to hire a car to drive from The Rockies to Vancouver, or fly.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Thanks for the replies, some useful info there. we're not camping just playing at being touriists this time. It looks like it's a toss up between Canada and China (I'd love to do both) and in the end it's down to cost although Canada is my first choice.
Does anyone else have any views on Canmore v Banff?

Cheers,

Bonzo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE