Vildmark course review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
For the last week I have been in on the Vildmark course run by Bearclaw Bushcraft, Nordic Bushcraft and Preben Mortensen from the Nordmarken Kanot Centre in Årjäng, Sweden.

I booked the course wanting to expand my skill set further and to gain experience and confidence in practising bushcraft in a different environment and by gosh what a place to do it.

I arrived in Oslo, Norway, on the Saturday and along with a few others from the course we explored the city taking in a few of the sites and emptying our wallets on the heavily priced drinks. I can’t answer for the rest of the group but I found it very strange being in a city with the mindset and equipment to live for the next week in the wilderness and therefore I was very much looking forward to the Sunday morning when we caught a bus over the border into Sweden and arrived at Årjäng two hours later. There we were met by Preben and one of his team who drove us down to the Kanot Centre where we were greeted by Gary and JP from Bearclaw Bushcraft and Johan from Nordic Bushcraft. After a brief induction to the course we were shown around the centre and taken to where we were to spend the night.

We were to spend the week split between two locations, the Kanot centre and 3 days at the beginning of the week in a remote location a little further south of the centre, so on the Monday morning after a brief introduction to the skills and techniques of canoeing (expertly delivered by Phil, Bambodoggy :D )we packed our kit into the canoes ad set of onto the lake to our new location for the next few days where we would start the course.

The course content was excellent, and I’d like to thank Gary, JP, Johan and Preben for the excellent tuition. We covered a variety of topics such as canoeing, safe knife handling and cutting techniques, camp hygiene, fire lighting, tree felling and shelter building (including an Indian sauna :D ), hunting and fishing techniques, utensil free cooking, and some tracking and plant identification/uses.

Preben, who is 74 years old and runs the Kanot Centre, and also heads up the area’s Search and Rescue team, took us on several tours of the area and gave us unlimited advice on the topics we were covering and at the same time amusing us with his jokes and amazing us of stories from his past. I think the whole group agreed that if any of us achieve a 10th of the experiences that he had by his age we would have lived a full and exhilarating life.

The evenings we were left to our own accords and were able to have use of the canoes to explore the lake, or the forest on foot. The amount of fauna in the area was immense, even if some of it remained hidden from us (especially the fish :D ). Some of the group were lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the wildlife including deer, beaver, badger, red squirrel and osprey to name just a few

Friday afternoon and evening saw us being treated to a day of luxury back at the Kanot centre and we were given access to the Sauna and hot-tub and a BBQ cooked by Preben, what an amazing way to end a week in the most beautiful location I’ve ever seen.

I think myself very lucky to have been able to visit such an awe inspiring landscape and to share the time in the company of a group of like minded individuals.

Many thanks again to all the instructors and also to the rest of the group for such an enjoyable week.

Let me leave you with a selection of my photos from the week which you can access from Here

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Nice one Andy. I was lucky enough to go on last year's course and it's obviously struck the same chord for you that it did for us then. A high quality experience in a wonderful environment....we might be lucky to find something to compare with it..but we'll struggle to improve upon it. :)

Fantastic pics too...you seem to have captured the full range of the experience...the environment, people, training, relaxation...great stuff :You_Rock_

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Thanks for all the kind words and I happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. But I must say that I enjoyed myself as much as the students, there was a very good group that always had smiles on their faces and aleays had questions and wanted to learn more all the time.

Hope to see you on another course in the future Andy =)

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
redcollective said:
Sounds like good fun A. What did you make the sauna out of? Presume you have to get a good coverage of material to keep the humidity in?

We use tarps for the group saunas and poncho for the one man sauna and the lake to cool us down and to wash up. Important to remember whicj side you take your drinking water from ;)

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
hey thanx for the fantastic review and the pics were a real bonus looks and sounds like you had a real good time

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
I had a fantastic time too and the area is very beautyful (and I grew up in Sweden so I have seen a lot of it). I had to paddle the canoe mostly by my own since Andy was busy taking photos :p Preben... what can I say more that I am looking forward to meeting him again. Gary, JP (Mr bowdrill coach) and Johan was doing a very good job teaching. What impressed me a lot as well was the willingnes to do the chores that everyone had.

This course was a nice mix of vacation and learning, I highly recommend it to everyone both experienced and novice.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
DSC00019.JPG

Bumblebee fishing

DSC00037.JPG

On of many nice evenings

DSC00042.JPG

Canoeing late in the evening

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
Those pictures take me right back. There were some amazing sunsets as well as some amazing mornings. The foggy morning was fantastic with everything slowly coming into view as the fog burned off.

All the Instructors were great and the place is stunning to say the least, if you get the chance to go, grab it with both hands and don't let go.

Simon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE