Vikings take Raglan Castle!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was asked by the staff at Raglan castle to do a public guided walk on the topic of bats this weekend just gone. This I did on Saturday night, and it went very well. Being bats, I didn't turn up until 7pm, so I was surprised to find a bunch of vikings in residence. On learning that they were going to be there on the Sunday as well, I went back the following day. Raglan castle is worth a visit in its own right anyway.

It turned out that the castle staff had invited some Tudor reenactors to have stalls for the weekend, but they only brought two stalls, so there was lots of room to spare. Therefore the vikings were invited at short notice, and in true Norse fashion they brought 8 stalls worth of gear and completely took over :)

I was greeting on arrival with cries of "Hello batman!" and was made to feel very welcome. Sufficiently theat I spent all afternoon with them, and they asked me to take some pictures for them for future publicity, which I was happy to oblige.

First things first, make friends with the people who have control of the food. I was of course fascinated with the fire kit, and the spoons and bowls, and ingratiated myself with the kitchen women by flirting (though they started it), and by donating some of my surplus wooden spoons to them. They responded by feeding me a wonderful bacon and veg stew. :)
20597984993_9ed51b4dbd_b.jpg
[/url]Viking kitchen by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

21031327928_595cf4b2ea_b.jpg
[/url]Kitchenware by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Being vikings there was some deadly combat. Viking women are of course notoriously fierce, but in this instance the warrior maiden was overcome by the superior prowess of her doughty opponent.
21219127805_f068187206_b.jpg
[/url]Deadly combat! by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Viking archery was on show as well, with fire arrows as well as ordinary ones, and an impressive array of tools.
20596503584_d3c9ae671b_b.jpg
[/url]Viking archery by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

The fishing kit was fascinating even to a non fisherman like me. Bone and iron hooks, and nets and traps. Check out those gorgeous birch bark floats left of shot.
21031233238_743fe15b86_b.jpg
[/url]Viking fisherman by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Other fierce battles were fought over the board in games of Hnefatafl. I have played it before, and it is not easy despite the apparently simple rules.
21031179688_fd7e9662e3_b.jpg
[/url]The viking game by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

There was a tent of fabric and furs, and the comely wenches here persuaded me out of my normal clothes and into some viking garb.
21227229221_a2bae23205_b.jpg
[/url]Viking seamstresses by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

I'm not sure that the result was an improvement :eek:
20573821483_0d72196290_b.jpg
[/url]World's least scary viking by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

I put the axe back with the other weapons on show.
21219207545_5814b54ee4_b.jpg
[/url]Viking weaponry by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

I would like to thank the Svartland Viking Age Living History group for their hospitality, and heartily recommend them to anyone who gets a chance to meet them. I'm now tempted by the viking reenactment thing myself, and apparently, my wife is quite keen on the idea too :)
21030966200_4b217ccf98_b.jpg
[/url]The Svartland Vikings by Michael Kilner, on Flickr[/IMG]

Further information here: http://svartland.webs.com

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Interesting. One of the last royalist strongholds burnt down by parliamentarians. Alexander armstrongs ancestor lived there. Interesting fellow who owned it. He was a scientist, and built the first early steam engine, a bumbling spy, and bankrolled Charles against Cromwell, only to end up in the tower for getting caught. From the BBC's 'Who do you think you are' Series

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cracking report and pictures Mike. Really enjoyed it and it looks/sounds like you really gelled with the folks there. Must admit that I quite fancy a bit of re-enactment again and they look a good bunch.
Cheers again for posting.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Oct 30, 2015
West Midlands
Mike,

As Secretary of Svartland Living History Society, Id like to thank you for the nice review of our Raglan Castle event and for taking the photos.

We hope that we will be able to return to Raglan in 2016 for an event of our own, when we can take our full camp and all of our members.

As for you taking up Viking Age Living History, we always welcome new potential members ;)

Regards,

Andy.

svartland.webs.com

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Lovely report! Looks like you all were enjoying yourselves, and even got brilliant weather.
Thank you for sharing!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Mike,

As Secretary of Svartland Living History Society, Id like to thank you for the nice review of our Raglan Castle event and for taking the photos.

We hope that we will be able to return to Raglan in 2016 for an event of our own, when we can take our full camp and all of our members.

As for you taking up Viking Age Living History, we always welcome new potential members ;)

Regards,

Andy.

svartland.webs.com

Andy, I apologise for having not sorted out the pictures yet, and lots of them didn' come out properly. It is still on my 'to do' list, and you will get them eventually. Feel free to pester me about them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE