'Viking' shoes tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I found this and thought it may be of use to someone :rolleyes: -

http://earthandliving.blogspot.com/2008/08/viking-shoes-tutorial-sort-of.html

and part 2 -

http://earthandliving.blogspot.com/2008/09/shoe-tutorial-part-2.html

It is to make these.... :D

Viking_shoes_by_huldremor.jpg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've made shoes in this style before and they work very well.

I should probably mention that they pre date the Vikings and would be more accurately described as "Iron age" up to circa 600AD.

Having said that they are a great project and would be acceptable for anyone coming to the Dark age meet.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
These are traditionally known as Cuarans. They are what I knock up quickly for people who need footwear in a hurry (like on site at the last minute). A more stable and permanent pair can be made - exactly the same way, by adding an inner and an outer sole of thicker leather, same shape as the foot, glued inside and out of the main shoe. To prevent the sole from de-laminating, I punch small holes all the way round the edge of the soles and glue wooden nails (cocktail sticks) all the way through the three layers. Then I trim the wooden nails with the shoe wide open and give the whole lot a good splodging with neets foot oil before lacing them up. They last for ages. If you're going to make a pair for Wayland's meet in Feb, make a pair of blanket socks first then draw round your feet with them on. The blanket socks will keep your feet nice and warm but make up a whole extra size on the shoes.

Eric

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Another quick method for reinforcement and OK post Roman is to glue the bottom sole on then nail through the bottom and the mid layer with short tacks onto an anvil to clench them over with the tack heads on the bottom like worn hobs.

The inner layer of leather is then glued in to protect your feet from the nails.

The last pair I made like that have lasted years.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
What a good little project. Any ideas what type and thickness of leather would be required and where such leather could be purchased?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
You want soling leather for the outer and inner sole if you choose that option. If you do, any thin leather will do for the shoe itself - like leather salvaged from an old leather settee or chair etc, or even an old leather coat or jacket. If you are buying new leather, then 'kip' or 'european buffalo' for the shoe itself.

If you just want to make a plain unsoled shoe, then a thicker veg tanned leather would do.
Be aware though that if you go for the unsoled variety you will walk over the heels. By that I mean you will start to walk on the side of the shoe at the back after a while. You need something to stiffen the heel part. In modern shoes that is provided by a half circle of leather or plastic to keep your heel in the shoe where it's supposed to be. By adding an inner and outer sole, the stiffness of the soles help prevent walk over.

I can only recommend LePrevo in Newcastle as that's the only place I buy my leather from.

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I'm not sure if it is actually buffalo, but it's what lePrevo sells and is a lovely soft leather - slightly thicker than 'kip' but great for shoe uppers. It's also brilliant for possibles pouches and knife sheaths, although with sheaths I find it needs waxing to stiffen. It wet moulds beautifully and is a true veg tan. Best of all though, is it's only half the price of kip. Absolutely perfect for the above project.

Eric

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I'm not sure if it is actually buffalo, but it's what lePrevo sells and is a lovely soft leather - slightly thicker than 'kip' but great for shoe uppers. It's also brilliant for possibles pouches and knife sheaths, although with sheaths I find it needs waxing to stiffen. It wet moulds beautifully and is a true veg tan. Best of all though, is it's only half the price of kip. Absolutely perfect for the above project.

Eric

Woe, that sounds really nice! I'd love to see some one day.

I've got some actual buffalo around the house that I was thinking about making into a pair of these viking shoes, but I think it's probably too thick for this style of shoe. I had set the buffalo aside to make a bag from anyway, so I'll probably stick to that

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE