Viking Shield Possibles Pouches (2 left) PRICE DROP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I have made a batch of three pouches, dubbed my 'viking shield' pouches. I have never seen anything like these before, they are my own twist on a pouch and a wee experiment just to see if it works well or not

Each pouch is made up of a normal soft drawstring pouch, with a hard flap in the style of a viking shield. Each flap is made of veg tan leather, carved to look like planks of painted wood. The edges have been stitched with piping as viking shields were often rimmed with leather or rawhide. They also have a copper rivet in the centre to act as the shield boss. The flap is secured via a strap which is rivetted to the pouch. The strap loops under the pouch around to the front which is secured with a celtic buckle hand forged by Everything Mac of this parish. The looping strap allows for things to be tied/strapped to the pouch as required which is handy.

These pouches are in three sizes. one large. one medium. one small. Pictures include a swiss army knife for scale. Each has been hand saddle-stitched with waxed linen thread and artificial sinew. All rivets are sturdy copper rivets done by hand (which means bashed to hell)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Group shots

hso8.jpg

x6b6.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------

LARGE viking shield pouch.
price: SPF

Made with very tough 4mm cowside predyed oxblood red. Knotwork shield design. This pouch is very large and may work better as a satchel with a braided leather or rope strap.

ko5k.jpg

jfmk.jpg

ifxz.jpg

to see how it hangs...

urg4.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------
MEDIUM viking shield pouch
Price: SPF

Made with very soft and supple veg tan merino sheepskin. This pouch is more plain, a pouch for those who prefer things less busy

cwub.jpg

js2f.jpg

lvn1.jpg

to see how it hangs...

wvnb.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------
SMALL viking shield pouch
price: SOLD

Made with soft and supple veg tan merino sheepskin dyed black. Small, but with a black and red swirl theme typical of viking shields

kwi3.jpg

qqks.jpg

1hme.jpg

rx4q.jpg

to see how it hangs...

czsq.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------
Prices include postage and any fees which i pay. Can accept paypal or bank transfer

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hamish, I'm beginning to hate you!

You're going away, producing stuff like this that I love to bits and I'm skint. You'd better set up shop in Norway or promise to come back matey.

Lovely, lovely work especially this one - stunning.
js2f.jpg

We'll miss you while your gone.

ATB,
GB.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
how much more can be said..... and you keep doing it mate.. once again great bits of leather work..

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Another +1 for that plain wood grain one. Truly stunning. Still playing with mine to pack all sorts in.

Good luck with the sale - to anyone looking, buy it, buy it now :rolleyes:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Gotta hand it to you Hamish, those are quality. Right up my street too with the styling. Love how you have produced the plank effect. Is it just a case of deeper grooves with lighter groove inbetween? I can't draw for toffee, i cant even draw a damn knife :D but i reckon i could manage that as it doesn't need to be straight and symmetrical.:)

Dreadhead

Thanks everyone :) Have just made three viking sword scabbards this week so needed to finish these pouches and get them shifted!

Gotta hand it to you Hamish, those are quality. Right up my street too with the styling. Love how you have produced the plank effect. Is it just a case of deeper grooves with lighter groove inbetween? I can't draw for toffee, i cant even draw a damn knife :D but i reckon i could manage that as it doesn't need to be straight and symmetrical.:)

Yeah i cut deep grooves for the planks, then the grain is just lightly scored in with a few knots marked here and there :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks everyone :) Have just made three viking sword scabbards this week so needed to finish these pouches and get them shifted!

Yeah i cut deep grooves for the planks, then the grain is just lightly scored in with a few knots marked here and there :)

PM sent for the small one!

Dreadhead

thanks again fellas :)

Yeah i do love the copper rivets. When i do them on the boat my work surface isnt very sturdy so takes about 15-30 minutes to set each one. Currently house sitting and found an anvil, what a joy! they take less than two mins to do on an anvil and much more fun even if they are still bashed to hell

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE