Viking Market Norway Trip 2016

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey folks,

Once again, I didn't make it to the moot as it coincides with my market in Norway which is my yearly getaway, though after having Ruud staying with us this week telling us moot tales I'm even more gutted about never having made it...yet ;)

I was asked once again if I would run a stall and have courses at Gudvangen Viking Market in Norway again this year (you might remember my trip from last year here) so I had been planning this for a while. Due to SWMBO having studies, I decided to take my best mate along with me this year as he really needed a trip away and I knew I could count on him for a good laugh and to help as my assistant on the market. He could also carry more in a rucksack ;)

So 15th of July we flew out to Bergen for a boys weekend on the town before taking the bus out to my friends farm in Flåm. Whilst in Bergen we took the cable car up mt Ulriken (bergens highest mt) and done the horseshoe shaped trek around the other mountains and down to mt Fløyen. Sadly the weather was so driech that we didn't see all that much but it was a good laugh nonethe less

Bergen 2016 6 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Bergen
Bergen 2016 8 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Bergen 2016 10 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Bergen 2016 11 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Bergen 2016 14 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Bergen 2016 16 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

We spent a long night on the farm in Flåm drowning ourselves in whisky before heading over to Gudvangen the next morning, to set up my stall for the market. All the furniture I had made on the farm last year was still there, so we ended up with a nice comfortable set up which quickly became the place evreyone wanted to hangout all week.

The week was spent mostly teaching throughout the day for me and relaxing with friends around the fire at night with plenty of booze and food in between as is always the case. Ryan was great at keeping the stall running whilst I was busy with students, and he had also brought along some of his fathers leatherwork to sell which really added to things.
There was Glima (viking wrestling) each day outside my stall, and every morning I had to get up on the podium with the Chief and one or two other fellas with courses to announce to the public who I was and what I was doing. It was great fun :)

Setting up.

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

My trusty sidekick!
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 5 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Gudvangen
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 7 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 8 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 9 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 10 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

A wee bit of hnefetafl
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 12 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 16 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 17 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

viking puppy!
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 18 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

hnefetafl
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 19 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 20 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 22 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 23 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 24 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 25 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 32 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 33 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Spectacular view from my stall tent
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 34 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

hard at work!
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 35 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Ryan helping out with some stitching for one of the 7 yr olds
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 37 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

This is one of my bags based on the Haithabu finds. tooled with recreation of a runestone found in sweden.
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 39 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 40 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 51 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 55 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Good friends and happy students with their new belt pouches
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 57 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

What happens when your assistant drinks too much
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 66 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 69 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 71 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 72 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Opening ceremony on the podium with the Chief
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 73 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 74 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 76 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 78 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

A french armourer I met doing some really interesting things
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 83 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 84 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

no idea why...
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 86 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Another opening ceremony
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 87 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

On the last day a Danish lad we came to know very well over the week decided to get out his kit and tattoo me in the traditional hand poked style, what a blast!
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 91 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 92 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 93 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 94 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 95 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

I made Ryan a pair of viking high boots tooled with his signature fox, as a way of saying thank you for coming with me and helping out. Though it was so hot we ended up barefoot most of the week anyway and left our boots in the shade
HalfGoat Gudvangen Viking 97 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

The chieftan of Gudvangen Viking Market, Georg, has now realised his 20 year dream and secured funding and designs to turn the market into a full viking village. Construction has already begun, and they hope to have most of it completed by next year. So next year is going to be bigger, better, and hopefully longer. I can't wait!

After the market Ryan had to fly back to Scotland for work but I stayed for an extra few weeks to spend some time helping out on my friends farm, and then a brief holiday in Bergen as SWMBO flew out for our anniversary and we celebrated her 30th and spent a few days with viking friends.
Whilst on the farm I mentioned to my friend that I fancied making some bone tools, to which he led me to the barn and handed me a load of deer legs. So a few hours and I had them cleaned up enough to get in the pack and take home so going to have plenty of projects to keep me busy this year (as well as the seax blade I traded for at the market that I have to handle and sheath).

Bergen 2016 27 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

the farm
Bergen 2016 26 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Thanks for reading, especially as I just dumped pictures in here in a rush as I'm trying to catch up to 'real life' Now to start planning for next year... :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Smashing adventure, Hamish many of us are a little obsessed with our hobbies but you live the life of a leatherman and you do it in style

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Amazing location and heart warming to know stuff like this is happening every year !
Artisans and craftsmen enriching all of our lives.
Thanks for sharing H.

Dreadhead

Thanks everyone :)

The boots also look fantastic!
Wonder how much they would cost...?
:)

They are soooo much work so would be 300-400 but I don't actually sell them as they are so much hassle to get 'right'. Easy to make for myself but making them for ryan was a bit of a stress. I took a course with a friend to make this style properly so when asked for orders I just point everyone in his direction as he is the master at making viking boots. If you are interested I can give you his details :)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Wow, thanks for quick reply.
At that price I'm not quite ready ... :)
But when things change , you shall be the first to know...
Much appreciated, and thanks for sharing that great event.
Beautiful location too...

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Wonderful! I hope you are planning on upgrading your camera equipment soon, because you have have a good eye for photography!
I´ve always wanted a tattoo made the old way, and your turned out great :) I will have to smash my piggy bank soon, to purchase my own tattoo.
Oh right, I don´t have a piggy bank...

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Now that is one special report and with so many delightful pictures. Thanks and well done.

Never thought I'd say it but I rather fancy having one of those deer tattoos.

K

edjuh

Jan 27, 2015
Haarlem
Wonderful scenery and friends.
Seems you enjoyed yourself quite a bit.
Vikingmarket is coming to Holland, looking forward to visit them myself.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Picture #20 is funny and a little unnerving...

Wouldn't want to upset that little Viking , that's for sure...
Trick or treat around there must put the fear of God into you...

Dreadhead

Wonderful! I hope you are planning on upgrading your camera equipment soon, because you have have a good eye for photography!
I´ve always wanted a tattoo made the old way, and your turned out great :) I will have to smash my piggy bank soon, to purchase my own tattoo.
Oh right, I don´t have a piggy bank...

Thanks, it was Ryan my trusty assistant who took most of them as I was always busy teaching or selling. But I agree, he should get some proper equipment as we only had our phones with us

Picture #20 is funny and a little unnerving...

Wouldn't want to upset that little Viking , that's for sure...
Trick or treat around there must put the fear of God into you...

aye, this picture putme in mind of 'Zelda' though she is really a wee sweetie. She took my course last year at age 6 and this year again, and on both accounts did just as well if not better than some of the adults

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE