Viking Chest and a Six board Chest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
I posted a few pics of this project ages ago but never got around to posting up the finished pics. So here they are!

The hinges I got off ebay, I was very happy to find them as I think the style is awesome so I bought 2 sets so another chest will be made at some stage.

You can see how the box is held together in this photo, the bottom is held to the ends with a through mortise and the side have a kind of halving joint, the whole lot is held together with hand forged nails.

To hold the hinges in place I hammer the hand forged nails through, cut them off and then riveted them. I think it would have worked better if I had annealed the nails first as they were a bit on the hard side.
The top is a slightly different colour because it was ages until I got around to finishing it but I am sure it will colour with age and hopefully match the rest.

I have also been making a six board chest, which I am almost finished. I love the design of these chests and have read about them been made for ages in different woodwork magazines, so I finally took the plunge and made one.

Yes I know, more forged nails but I just really like how they look!
All rebate joints and a housing for the bottom, no glue needed really just lovely forged nails.

Above with the lid and in the place where it will stay once finished. I have to fit the hinges and I am going to paint the outside. This is not an attempt to make it shabby chic but was how the originals were finished.

I hope you like and sorry about the photos which were taken on my phone so they might not be the clearest.

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Cheers for the positive feedback!
What am I going to use it for?
Not sure yet, I just wanted to make them. The Viking chest will probably live out in my workshop and store tools and make the occasional camping trip as seat/storage.
The Six board chest is going in the living room as my girlfriend likes it.
If anybody would like the plans I have them drawn up on Google sketchup just let me know and you can have them.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Those are great! ..... I want one! :cool:

Give me a shout the next time you want hinges though mate. ;)

All the best
Andy

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Hi Andy,
I would be interested in getting some chest hinges for a future project that I am thinking of (Dutch tool chest). I will pm you nearer the time.
thanks for the feed back.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Very nice, I'm guessing you read Chris Schwarz. He's doing a Dutch Tool Chest course at the moment just round the corner from me, i really wish i was on it. Where did you get the nails from?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Love the chests, having seen some in the flesh, like them. I do like the design and they are very practical. Last time I made anything out of wood it was ok and was a bush saw but I did burn it during our trip to Norway as it was made form cheap wood. The time before that I was 12 and I "made" a cassette rack which was wonky and fell to pieces as soon a a tape was put on it, that had mortise joints in it. I only hope that i get better with age and can try one of these some day :)

thejollyroger

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2010
england
Yea I've read Chris Schwarz, the Anarchists Tool Chest (it is a book about tools, in case anybody is wondering about the title) is worth a read. His blog is really good and I've seen him on the Woodwright's Shop a few times as well.
I would have loved to gone on that course, the recent resurgence of hand tools and their use is something I'm really into.
I got the nails on ebay, I just searched for forged nails.

Cheers Tinkypete! I made a cassette rack in school as well, every school kid must have been making these at one time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE