'Viking' Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I went on a Woodsmoke Axe Workshop last weekend, very good course. We used loads of different tools and axes, but one that I really liked was called a 'viking' axe. It's very similar to a carving axe, but has a notch taken out where you 'strangle' the axe so your first finger goes through and has a curved handle. It's a bit lighter than the carving axe.

Anyone know where I can get one? I'm going to ask Ben Orford, one of the instructors when I see him next but was wondering if anyone here knows where I can get one?

Toby

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Toby - I'd accept Ceggas offer to look at making you one if I was you - thats a great offer!

If he does it before my double bit though........;)

Red

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
"Sounds a little like the Swedish Carving Axe"

It is, except that the head is quite a bit lighter and a 'sharper' design with a finger gap at the base of the head next to the handle...I think I need to attempt to draw it...

Cegga, will send you PM once I've done a suitable drawing, thanks for the offer.

Toby

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
It's kind of a combination of several.

It has the ears/lubs (is that the right word?) of the Battle Axe Long Handle (but which I'd like to change to rounder),

The finger hole of the Bearded Axe with Eye-Socket (almost flush with the handle)

The handle of the Swedish Carving Axe, but a little more curved.

But I've not seen anything yet with the same blade, It's like the carving axe but a higher toe and less metal on the heel with the large flat area cut away a bit.

Gransfor Bruk don't do one (unless its a special).

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
red, It's not mine, but I will be making more axes in the future. Not having a power hammer or press, I tend not to do them often :rolleyes: Though when my new workshop gets sorted I'll be building an oliver (foot powered sledge hammer basically) ;) then I'll start on the axes

ToneWood

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2012
Wessex
Are you thinking of the Ronnqvist Viking axe (featured in Wille Sunqvist's book)? Quite fully discussed here: http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2328
That discussion also includes info. on similar axes by Gransfors (it's Viking axe is uncommon though - not normally shown in catalogs/web-stores) and viking influenced axes by others, including Hans Karlsson, as well as museum axes that probably influenced them.

Matt at Woodland Craft Supplies often has some Ronnqvist axe heads available but they not cheap (I would say v. expensive but perhaps the amount of work required is high). Didn't realize Ben made axes - they don't feature on his website.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE