Views and Opinions on the Web-Tex 3/4 PLCE (90ltr)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

edschembri

Dec 1, 2011
Malta
Well, ive been looking around for a sturdy rucksack with adjustable carrying capacities, and waterproof material for a good price, and came accross the Web-tex 3/4 PLCE which has 20ltr side packs that can be removed and also made of cordura. I havent seen one in real life (only on the internet). i wanted to get the opinion of people who have had experience with it, it would be a great help.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Got the full size one. It's ok, but not the best shoulder straps I've come across and the waist bands don't sit right for me. Wouldn't trust it to be waterproof, but then I don't trust anything to be. I like the side pouches and have the yoke that means you can take them off for day use. They are great if they are the water pack ones as they have holes to feed your tube through. I would definitely say find one in a shop and try it on as I didn't and the back isn't quite the fit I need. Beware other clones too. I got one and found the webbing loops were too small to allow the webbing through.

Hope that helps in some way. Still use mine if I'm overloaded with kit, but have so many bags of different sizes don't use it that much.

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
for the same price or less you could also get a berghaus vulcan or crusader. You can get a back length to suit yourself, and I think berghaus build quality is likely to be better. I've got a vulcan and love it.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
+1 for Berghaus. I'm about 6 feet tall and have a size 3 ROC. I love it and it cost less than most bergans. From my limited experience of Web Tex and similar I'd say avoid spending money on it! Buy something decent once as a bergan is an important piece of kit, right up there with sleeping bags and boots in my opion. No room for failure. I think I paid about £40-45 for mine off ebay and it was money well spent for one of my favorite pieces of kit...

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Generally speaking Webtex has a very poor reputation for quality, which judging my the equipment failures i've witnessed, is entirely justified. If you are humping stuff from a car 100m or so, then you may get yourself a bargain, but to be honest, for the money you can get far better. The above mentioned berghaus offerings would be good, as would be an ex Dutch army issue Lowe Alpine Saracen (if you want big) ay £59.99 this is just one place that sells them:
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...bags/genuine-dutch-military-issue-988456.html

or slightly smaller, an ex dutch army issue lowe alpine Sting at £49.99

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...s/genuine-dutch-issue-small-molle-988463.html

They won't of course be new, but they will outlast the webtex offering ten times over, be much more comfortable with a decent adjustable back system and a few more features.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I have to agree with the others, avoid Web-Tex, why pay more for an asian made copy when you can get the real thing for half the price.......the other suggestions of Berghaus & Lowe Alpine are a much better alternative...........But NO rucksack is waterproof ( except those used by speleologists :) )

Last edited:

edschembri

Dec 1, 2011
Malta
wow guys, a big thank you to each and every one of you! this is a huge eye opener :p i will deffinatly check out all of your sugggestions. surprised how quick this post got replied to xD
cheers guys

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If you like the army bergen, you can get one in good condition with side pouches off ebay for about £30.....................It'll be a little bigger than the Web-Tex thing you had your eye on but you don't have to use all the space........they come in 2 sizes, long & short back..........if you're not wearing belt kit then the long back is best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE