View Changing/Enlightening Book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Brave new world,
Catch 22

These books were read in that order over 15 years. Starting with 1984 as an English GCSE course book. This and the teacher who taught the class combined to turn my thinking about society from that of a child to that of an adult. Quite simply the book was a tool for a very talented and experienced teacher to awaken our abilities in critical thought. I think that's a real mental revolution!

Brave new world I bought because I thought it was like 1984 dystopia. I read it as I travelled by train to get to my postgraduate course at Liverpool. It was an interesting book and woke the politics in me.

Catch 22 was a great holiday read for me. It's a book that completely polarises people. There's no middle ground only live it or hate it. I loved it. Don't really know why. I don't even remember whether it's an anti war book or made a political point. I just loved the book for the surface of it, the story and characters. But I have no doubt it triggered thoughts on relevant matters.

Reactions: Redhand Jack

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Very important one was "The only way" Allen Carr. Rid me of the evil ciggies after 20 years of 30 a day.

More recently its various long form pod casts. More so their expert guests on various subjects. Book wise very recently its Marcus Aurelius and Miyamoto Musashi.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Very important one was "The only way" Allen Carr. Rid me of the evil ciggies after 20 years of 30 a day.

More recently its various long form pod casts. More so their expert guests on various subjects. Book wise very recently its Marcus Aurelius and Miyamoto Musashi.
If you want a modern take on Stoicism can I suggest the works of Ryan Holiday.

Reactions: dwardo

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If you want a modern take on Stoicism can I suggest the works of Ryan Holiday.
SBREBrown on YT's series Talking about Stoicism is great at explaining the philosophy, the historical setting and expanding with modern examples. Start at the beginning and work your way through (currently 218 episodes and counting).

Reactions: dwardo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE