Vietnamese Coffee Filter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I have that filter and the coffee. Its great, but just make sure you don't want to sleep for 48hrs! lol
Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It looks tidy, but does it not make kind of cold coffee ? By the time the boiled water drips its way through that filter, and it's in stainless steel, it'll have lost a 'lot' of heat.

Fine if you don't mind cold coffee :eek: but otherwise I think you'd need to reheat the cup when it's filtered through.

Interested to hear how you get on with it though.

cheers,
M

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
nope for me at least ( not tried out in the bush), it was plenty hot. As I normally have decaf due to high bp, I can only treat myself to the occational cup lol.
Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It looks tidy, but does it not make kind of cold coffee ? By the time the boiled water drips its way through that filter, and it's in stainless steel, it'll have lost a 'lot' of heat.

Fine if you don't mind cold coffee :eek: but otherwise I think you'd need to reheat the cup when it's filtered through.

Interested to hear how you get on with it though.

cheers,
M

No more than a standard drip filter going into a cold ceramic mug or glass pot I suspect, I'll let you know when I try it. They are something to play with at home and I suppose they will go in the gizmo cupboard along with pasta makers, electric salt & pepper grinders and salad spinners which I obviously use every day;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, I thought you meant them for camping, and I know how fast mine cools down when I'm out. One of the reasons folks like the crusader cups; they can be hooked onto the firebowls and reheated :D

cheers,
M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Camping = kettle of water, fresh coffee and pour brew through tea strainer at home I use a Gaggia or press most of the time, sometimes a percolator.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi Rik, I've had the Vietnam one a couple of years now and it works great. I also found a similar item in a local charity shop for 40p, and with the inner top filter having a notch and the main body having x2 pips at the bottom you can compress the coffee and hold it to swell up
coffeesetup-1.jpg

but for both types the tip is :- just a splash of boiling water at first not enough to pour through into the cup but wait 20 or 30 seconds then fill with the water which will also have just gone off the boil, as your not making Tea, and the Coffee swells up and acts even more as it's own filter slowing the water down. I’m using a Colman double walled cup and have not had cold Coffee,
here it’s in use but it’s also on most of my trips out http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2011/03/crumpet-after-breast-pits.html
cheers Danny

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cheers Dan, looking forward to getting them now :) I have a set of double walled stainless steel demi tasse cups and saucers, do you think that would be OTT for bushcraft :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Double walled cups certainly give folks a chance to drink the coffee with some heat in it :D

Demi tasse ? maybe for bushcraft, but I'm sure they'd suit your civilized camping :D

I must admit I'm a one-mug-to-do-it-all, from cooking to drinking, when out. At home we use one of the Ocaree ones......I thought you'd have loved them Rik, they come with a wee meths burner :D Like this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OCAREE-SY...pt=Coffee_Machines_Makers&hash=item19c78f3fc8

cheers,
M

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
It looks tidy, but does it not make kind of cold coffee ? By the time the boiled water drips its way through that filter, and it's in stainless steel, it'll have lost a 'lot' of heat.Fine if you don't mind cold coffee :eek: but otherwise I think you'd need to reheat the cup when it's filtered through.Interested to hear how you get on with it though.cheers,M
cafe sua da is a really nice form of Iced Coffee drunk in Vietnam.Vietnamese filters work well. We have. Bunch of the aluminium ones here from various trips. The Vietnamese drink there coffee very strong. I suppose this is a hang over from the French colonial days.

Cheers

John

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Indian/Pakistan folk are the biggest consumers of this glourious fluid, I loved it from childhood and these days they once again supply in in squeezy tubes. I love it in camping tea, coffee at home and camp, and in rice/semolina puddings amongst other things :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Over here there is a Mexican recipe that uses it (sweetened condensed milk) in "tres leches cake" which come to think of it goes very well with a hot cup of coffee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE