Vietnam/SEA - anyone done a trip there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
So, wife and I are looking to head to Vietnam and/or South East Asia for a bit of an adventure...

Thinking of doing a bit of motorbiking (semi-auto biking), backpacking, camping, snorkelling, camping...

Just wondering if anyone has done anything similar?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
My cousin did a motorcycle tour (well moped really) from north to south, but that was probably a good ten years ago now. He did say it was an incredibly easy place to get around though and that people were friendly and helpful when the said hairdryer broke down.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I did 4 months in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malysia and Singapore.
Before going on to Australia, New Zealand then the Americas.
Travelled for 12 months in total.

Is there anything specific you want to know?

Best advice would be wherever you are in the world - don't eat boiled chicken feet.
Unless you are seeking adventures in having an Arsre Like a dragon's nostril for a week.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@Muddy Boots
Noted about the chickens feet... I grew up in Asia and managed to avoid eating them then, but as an adult, who knows what I'll do...

I think I was after any info about things to pack, any suggestions on must visits in folks opinions, any suggestions on must avoids (chickens feet noted).. Vietnam is on the list due to it being v cheap (not to get too, but to live in), but open to a lot of the surrounding countries.

We like to figure stuff out as we go (translates to being sheeeet at organising), but feel that with S.E.A we probably need to have some loose itineries...

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
We like to figure stuff out as we go (translates to being sheeeet at organising), but feel that with S.E.A we probably need to have some loose itineries...

Absolutely yes to this.

Most of countries we visited in South East Asia were easy to find accommodation in. No need to book in advance - unless you hit somewhere there is a festival/ celebration going on.

Our trip was a little macabre as we visited areas affected by wars.

Death Valley Railway in Thialand
Plain of Jars and MAG visitor centre -Lao
Vietnam war museum and Tunnels
S21 and Genocide Museum - Cambodia

But there was loads of non war stuff as well that shouldn’t be missed

Ankh Watt - cambodia
Bamboo Railway - Cambodia
Halong Bay Vietnam

Really find things that interest you.

Have a time frame is a good idea and a budget.

The more frugal you are the longer you travel. Shimples!

We never really camped to be honest as accommodations were cheap.

Had a bike out in Vietnam and Malaysia but wouldn’t advice it in any Capital city.

Eat the street food and visit the wet markets anywhere!

Cambodia was cheaper that Vietnam

I’ll try and most more later

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
So we're back!
It was amazing. I'd thoroughly recommend it...

Didn't quite fit in with the bushcraft/camping side of things...although some of the accommodation wasn't so far off :lmao: but the karrimor sabre sf 45 was amazing and comfortable!

Vietnam was interesting, nature wise, it was either dense jungle, or well trodden paths, so it sort of didnt lend itself so well to us finding a lurking spot.
Cambodia was lovely, a lot more relaxed than Vietnam, but we found it a little more pricey, not by loads, but a little more.
We avoided a lot of the war based stuff in Cambodia, it's of some interest to me, but at the same time there was so much more I wanted to do and I've read and seen many many pictures before.

We got mopeds from time to time, first time ever on a bike for me, loved it!

I'd recommend it!!

Reactions: Muddy Boots

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE