Victorinox Penknife Scales

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Hi There,

I have had a Victorinox Climbers penknife for quite some time now and after five years of battering and carving and other such things, one of the scales has come loose. Could I replace these with something like wood or is there something else that I could do to sort this problem out.

Cheers

HHazeldean :)

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Hears a couple that I did last year. Looks better in the hand.
Knives006.jpg

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
@Hugo: Did you carve the slot into them for the tweezers and toothpick?? :)

What wood is that also??

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I carved the slot for tweezers only.
If you do the tooth pick one it makes that side of the wood prone to breaking a bit, where the corkscrew rests.
You could put the toothpick on the other end of the knife mind you, I'm going to do that on my next one.
I used araldite to glue them together after a little rub with emery paper.
As to what wood is it.
I'm unable to say as it was a box in it's earlier life, it is hard wood as it does not get marked at all.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A few years ago one of the scales fell off my Victorinox (also after many years of hard use) I sent it back to the company and they repaired it for free. They have a life-time warranty and an excellent reputation for customer service. I'm sure you can find the UK address on-line; it should be an in-country address so that postage is minimum.

Of course if you want to do the project yourself there are great suggestions on the thread already. As for aesthetics the home projects shown look good but then again there's something to be said for their trademark red scales too; they just scream, "VICTORINOX!." It's a matter of personal preference.

Last edited:

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
they all look nice, verry nice even, but i would brand the victorinox shield with cross in the scale
imo that would make them even nicer

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
How would you be able to do that, you could always take the silverey sticker off the original one and stick that on, pretty hard though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE