Very old canvas tent that needs waterproofing.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Hello all.

I've got a 60+ year old canvas one man tent I haven't used in about 17 years (it was my grandads, he was a district commissioner for the scouts. This was the tent he used).

I'm going camping in January and wanted somthing that would be better at protecting me from the elements . So I got it out and checked it was still ok as it's been sitting in its bag in the back of the shed (well 2 sheds) for most of that 17 years.

Its still looking exactly the same as the day it was given to me. But it needs waterproofing.

I've never needed to water proof anything before so my question is whats the best stuff for the job?

Here is a quick photo:

I had forgotten just how solid this thing was once put up, even though it hasn't got a Horizontal bar, just 2 wooden vertical ones.

I was actually suprised how much faster than my modern dome tent it was to put up too. It only took about 5 minutes, the hardest part was hammering the tent pegs as they all took about 5 attempts as are whole graden has loads of stones a few inches down.

Also lucky I've got a few spare tent pegs as that actually needs 19! I knew either it needed more or the wodden ones with it were rotten so I sent off for a pack of 10 cheap ones. It'll actually need more if you add a ground sheet and peg that down as I will be doing.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I've got a 60+ year old canvas one man tent I haven't used in about 17 years ... going camping in January and wanted somthing that would be better at protecting me from the elements...

January can throw some rough weather at you, I'd be inclined to take it a few trips in milder airs just to check that it hasn't deteriorated. Canvas can develop invisible weaknesses and suddenly rip from end to end with little warning. Probably the weight of a spare lightweight backup tent wouldn't be very noticeable on top of that one! But I much prefer canvas to most man-made materials, it breathes so much better. Good luck with it.

Amon81 said:
...but it needs waterproofing. ... whats the best stuff for the job?

I used to use a silicone stuff that you just mix with water and paint on but there are loads of preparations that will do the job. Here's an example:

http://www.carters360.com/default.asp?id=514

Never used that particular one, just did a Yahoo search for "tent waterproofer".

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
It is a pretty sweet little tent. I've not seen a modern tent that beats it for build quality, real quality stiching. It makes me wonder how meny of us will have the modern tents that we can get for £50-£100 in 60 years.

A couple of other photos:

You don't get meny one man tents with this much space.

It's 220 x 170cm

The old saying: "They don't make them like that anymore" really fits.

Nikwax is one of the 2 brands I've heard of, the other being Grangers Fabsil. Anyone know which is better or if there isn't much in it. I've only found a couple of reviews of both, but were all 4/5 stars for both.

This might be what I get as I've got a few other bits of kit that could use some treating: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grangers-Fa...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1278344186&sr=8-1

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ive done all my old tents inc canvas with Grangers Fabsil, got it from go outdoors and millets.

It is good stuff, but not cheap.

Thompsons waterseal is ok.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've sent off for the Fabsil from amazon along with ground sheet and more pegs. I've sent off for the stuff you paint on.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Good question, probably classifieds would be your best bet.

Or goto your local scouts and ask if they are getting rid of any old canvas tents.

I'd imagine new ones would be very expensive.

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
I've used the clear stuff sold in builder's merchants for waterproofing brickwork on everything from walking boots to my ancient scout tent and it seems to do the job.

Magicman2

Jul 8, 2010
King's Lynn Norfolk
I don't think you can beat Fabsil, it's available in many sizes, the larger the quantity the lower the price (By volume) also if you're after steel tent pegs, try your local poundshop 10 for £1

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Dunn,

now a question is were would i get one of these tents or is that the sixty nine million dollor question

You could do a lot worse than something like this.
Gives you a bit more room than a single.
Don't go more than 25 on it... as has been said b4... old canvas is wierd stuff.

As a guide; search ebay... sporting goods>camping>tents... then use 'ridge' or 'scouts' as your search criteria
If you've got the dosh , F10s are the DBs

Last edited:

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I did an old combi camp trailer tent last year. I got a gallon with it which did 3/4 (just the folding bit - not an awning) of it. Went to local Halfords (all we've got locally) and used another 2 spray cans (they're own brand) - Not sure if you have to wet the canvas first, it didn't say anything on the tins - I didn't and it sucked the brush dry as soon as you put it on the canvas. I didn't do the awning as it was like some has said previously. Went to pull it taught and it split, from top to bottom, as it looked ok but had rotted

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE