very nice looking knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
F

Fiddleback

You should look into Himalayan Imports too. Great knives. If you get a DOTD the price is quite competitive too.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
1136800454.jpg

Looks rather nice indeed. Not sure what those split pins on the baltloop will do the the handle over time - probably easily remedied though.

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX
Woods Wanderer said:
hi all iv brought from this company before and i can say the quality is very good and the price is briliant (the nepalese knife makers are paid next to nothing) nut look at this http://www.thekhukurihouse.com/Content/Catalog/ click on beond khukuri the one im talking about is the small one looks woodlorey

I have the Bahadu, and it is very nice, but I have been looking at getting the Churi, which, I assume, is the one you are talking about...

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Cooo, what a strange coincidence, I have just come back from a month walking in the Everest region of Nepal. On my return to Kathmandu I bought an armful (literally) of knives from the Khukuri House in Kathmandu.

I visited just about every Khukuri showroom in Thamel and can definitely confirm that this was the most professional retailer and certainly the best quality Khukuris that I came across in several days of poking around the city.

For myself I bought a Service No. 1, and a couple of Biltong Khukuris (Pocket Knife), For my brother who works maintaining and running a Tropical Butterfly House I bought a Mini Jungle (not too big to frighten the punters if he's seen wielding it!), and I bought two full size Jungle Khukuris for my Dad and a friend for use in the Garden. The whole lot only came to about Rs 3,800 about $50 or £30. Outstanding blades, quality and value.

I'll try and post some pictures tonight of the blades I haven't given away !
(there is a Jungle Khukuri in my work drawer waiting to be picked up…and the longer I have it here the less I want to give it away !!!!)
I also have some pics for the tracking forum of a big cat

The average weekly wage for someone working in Kathmandu is about Rs500 or about £4 - a miniscule wage by Western Standards, however, if you don't buy the Khukuris - then they'll be out of work and on even less. The Khukuri House is owned by a former Nepalese Gurkha and their display shop showcases the craftsmanship of the manufacturing process - Their professionalism and pride in quality blades gave me the distinct impression that they value their Smith's skills greatly.

If you are planning to visit Kathmandu you HAVE to check them out in person !

Paul

Reactions: 1 person

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
P Wren said:
Cooo, what a strange coincidence, I have just come back from a month walking in the Everest region of Nepal. On my return to Kathmandu I bought an armful (literally) of knives from the Khukuri House in Kathmandu.

I visited just about every Khukuri showroom in Thamel and can definitely confirm that this was the most professional retailer and certainly the best quality Khukuris that I came across in several days of poking around the city.

For myself I bought a Service No. 1, and a couple of Biltong Khukuris (Pocket Knife), For my brother who works maintaining and running a Tropical Butterfly House I bought a Mini Jungle (not too big to frighten the punters if he's seen wielding it!), and I bought two full size Jungle Khukuris for my Dad and a friend for use in the Garden. The whole lot only came to about Rs 3,800 about $50 or £30. Outstanding blades, quality and value.

I'll try and post some pictures tonight of the blades I haven't given away !
(there is a Jungle Khukuri in my work drawer waiting to be picked up…and the longer I have it here the less I want to give it away !!!!)
I also have some pics for the tracking forum of a big cat

The average weekly wage for someone working in Kathmandu is about Rs500 or about £4 - a miniscule wage by Western Standards, however, if you don't buy the Khukuris - then they'll be out of work and on even less. The Khukuri House is owned by a former Nepalese Gurkha and their display shop showcases the craftsmanship of the manufacturing process - Their professionalism and pride in quality blades gave me the distinct impression that they value their Smith's skills greatly.

If you are planning to visit Kathmandu you HAVE to check them out in person !

Paul

Paul,

Did you take any pics? I'd dearly love to see you post some of them :You_Rock_

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Just tried ordering one over the net, works out at £32.04 delivered.......................but thats as far as i got, even after several attempts, it's just not having it. Will try tomorrow :(

A

andyman

does anyone know what type of bevel the churi knife has?
thinking of getting one :rolleyes:

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I came across a guy at our recent hedgelaying competition using one, I must admit it's not the best use of the khukri, not really what it's designed for. It seemed, and was way too light for the job he was intending to do.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Adrian M said:
I really fancy a Kukri, has anyone had any expereance of using one ? (in a bushcrafty way, not a choping bad guys to bits way!). Whats the most usefull size?
It depends on the user. For me the best all round kukri I've used was the MKII british army issue one. it's about 25oz in weight with a 13.5inch blade. The design was refined slightly for the M43 pattern kukri which acording to the guys on the tora forums tended to be better made and they now do a repoduction. For me tasks which would benifit for a bigger kukri with more weight are axe jobs really

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE