Very Cheap Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Hi guys, I want to start camping using a hammock and tarp and was wondering if there is really any point spending around £100 on a tarp like this:

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/81-Australian-Waterproof-Hootchie-Flysheet/

When I could get one for around £8 like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMO-CAMOUF...WPGW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1357236602&sr=8-6

If they are both waterproof and both able to be tied to trees, then would I be paying 10 times the price just for weight / build quality? Or am I missing something completely?

Thanks! :)

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
There is a lot to be said for using cheap kit when you are starting out. There is a good thread on the Frontier Bushcraft blog about this. I'd post a link but my PC is being grumpy, but Google "Frontier Bushcraft" and you'll find it I'm sure. The tarps Woodlore sell are quite well made and you can fasten two together BUT I think that they are overpriced. The reason some bushcraft schools use them is because they are tough and they get a great deal of use (abuse?). There are better options. The most significant problem with very cheap tarps is that the eyelets pull out. You can get a used British Army basha for around £20, I've got one I use sometimes but it is too heavy really and not a great size. Many folks on this forum use a DD 3m x 3m tarp which is pretty good value for money.

The key thing with using a tarp and hammock though is tarp size. Make sure you'll get the coverage you need, the woodlore tarp and British army tarp are both too small, some would say the DD 3x3 is on the small size too but I use one with my hammock.

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have used one of the cheep taprs, they russtle like hell, well mine did, spend a little bit more,

I like my DD's but would not buy the 3x3 as for hammocking I find it a bit small for the lentgh of the DD hammocks, I ve got a XL, but think I'll be going for a 4x4, just would give me a bit more head room when its folded down to the ground.

dont get me wrong the 3x3 is a great Tarp for the summer warmer months... when its nice to have the edns open...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I started bivi-ing under cheap builders tarps, blue plasticy nasty things, but they were very cheap and I wasn't too bothered about mucking them up - they did have grommets re-inforced with big plastic triangles in the corners so no pulling them out! Then bought some nylon and made my own light weight 2.8x3.2m [I think it could do with being abit longer when hammocking] tarp for around 6 quid [plus some other things I had handily lying around], had to proof it myself and I haven't been out in any really serious weather but has kept a little rain at bay so far - light weight and packs down pretty small - I deal to chuck in the bag for 'just in case'.

But then again if you've got enough money to burn on a 100 quid tarp why not?? - but I think the sorts who could/ would spend that on a tarp would rather be in a posh hotel somewhere instead.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The Mears ones are bomb proof and feel like they will never ever fail. I recently sold one.

I don't think they are worth £100 though, not by a long shot. They are small.

There are plenty of tarps around for a lot less money, companies like Tenth Wonder selling on ebay make a decent tarp and the price is good too.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I have the latter and I did have a DD too.
The previous one is dirt cheap, rustles like hell as has been stated, keeps you dry and out of the wind and doesn't cost you an arm and a leg, so you don't get too mad when sparks burn small holes in it.
The DD is not as cheap, rustles a bit, but no where near the level as the first one, keeps you dry and out of the wind and you'll be seriously pee'd off when sparks land in it.
If you start out and have a tight budget, I'd go for the first one and later decide if you are indeed a hammock&tarp-guy or maybe are more of a grounddweller, liking canvas tarps/shelters...

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
In addition to comments re cheap tarps they are also heavy and take up a lot of room. I started out with a poncho, then went to an army one which are fine if it doesn't rain or there is no wind. I use a 3x3 DD now and very happy with it. I picked mine up on Ebay for £20.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i would go for the cheap one first see if you like hammocking, if you do you can then upgrade to a better/lighter one. the important thing is to make sure its big enough to cover your chosen hammock and extend to at least a foot bigger either end. if you later decide you would rather sleep on the floor...its no great loss.

good point about the tie outs though, the cheap metal eyes will pull out. put a small round stone in the material instead and lash onto that or get half a dozen cheap tarp clamps.

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Personally I think the army basha is as low a base line that you can comfortably use. Cheap tarps are just to cumbersome and noisy for backpacking for me at least. I do wish the basha was a foot longer and wider though as it is a bit close to the bone size wise especially when the weather turns on you.

The best thing about the basha though is that they so often turn up at boot sales for a tenner or so.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Personally I think the army basha is as low a base line that you can comfortably use. Cheap tarps are just to cumbersome and noisy for backpacking for me at least. I do wish the basha was a foot longer and wider though as it is a bit close to the bone size wise especially when the weather turns on you.

I have an old army tarp- i've never camped under it, I tend to take it with me to shelter under if the weather looks like its going to get a bit crappy...I know a few have mentioned that they can be a bit small to sling a hammock under...but brilliant for days out in the woods

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
Last edited:

Binxie

Tenderfoot
I've got a British DPM tarp which I've used alot and never had problems with. Think it cost me 20 quid brand new but you can get them cheaper elsewhere. I personally can't see the point of spending a ton of money on a tarp which you may end up losing or tearing but each to their own.

If you are just starting out I would recommend spending a small amount and just trying it out before parting with any more of your money.

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
is that quecha really 2.5kg??

Nah, the poles are quite heavy - it comes with a bag, two poles, lots of guylines, 8 steel pegs and of course that tarp itself - I'd say the tarp on its own is about a kilo, but if really interested I can weight it when I get home.

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
Yeah, tenth wonder & DD both do great tarps.

As for them being a bit small... use a hammock ridge line to bring your hammock down to 8Ft, & you get a great diagonal lay.

hammock-basics-new.gif

H

Harry_H

I go camping quite often and use tarps a lot for shelter, etc. I get mine quite cheap and they always do the job, especially if you get one a bit bigger than you need then your less likely to tear it for when you're putting it over your hammock and securing it. I have the plain blue one from this site, but I found this camo one here: http://www.qvsshop.co.uk/camouflage-tarpaulins-49-c.asp. I use ground sheet pegs, sometimes bungee too to secure it down or up. Fairly light too, but if you secure it well it shouldn't rustle as much. Hope it helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE