Very 1st Canadian canoe outing on Derwent Water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I decided last week, for me and the young un,to get some basic Canadian canoing tuition under our belts, before actually going out and buying a boat. So I made a few inquiries and booked up with Platty + on Derwent Water.

We arrived a little late, due to tractors on Hartside pass and a little old lady, driving a nearly new land rover, at around 35-40mph all the way from Threlkeld to Keswick! (bless her )

Anyway we arrived, parked up at the Lodore Falls Hotel car park, notified the porter etc. then made haste to the Platty + boating center, which just happens to be at the end of the Derwent Water ferry jetty.

We were met by Sarah Platt, one of the partners and then got changed into our waterproofs, were sorted out with pfd's and then introduced to John Platt; who was to be our instructor for our introductory lesson. We were also introduced to a young couple who were, just like us, taking part as absolute beginners.

We were taken through some very basic stuff about the paddles, pfd's safety etc and then we moved on to the boats themselves.
These were Old Town, Discovery 158's and as soon as I sat in the boat, I felt both comfortable and strangely confident .

Anyway, we tootled about in the small bay, by the jetty ( alongside a beautiful replica viking long boat!) and began to get to grips with the job in hand. John had already explained that normally, the heavier body goes in the back and that the rear passenger did the steering etc but I was surprised at how much the breeze blew the boats around at first and wondered how on earth we were to make any headway at all!
Then with a little coaching and advice we were up and away, admittedly, in the wrong direction! but moving non the less!
We corrected our direction of travel and rejoined the others fairly swiftly, soon picking up the knack of "making it go"Then we covered proper steering, turning the boat, forming a raft for safety and stability and making the boat move sideways etc. To be honest, we covered all the basic skills which me and the youngster used later on, to go where we wanted to go.
We were soon able to make the boat do, what John asked us to make it do and I can only put this down to Johns patience and skill as an instructor, because in no time time flat we were all paddling in the same direction, able to form a raft quite quickly when needed and all the time we were learning new skills.
Some of the "how to" seemed to come naturally but an awful lot of what later, seemed obvious, only became so, after it being explained by John.

We learned about using the wind to our advantage and how to trim the boat. While we drifted with the wind in a raft, John shared with us a load of historic details about the lake itself and the surrounding fells, much of which, even though I have been a keen fell walker for 35 years on and off, still came as a surprise.

Then it was time to make our way back, across the breeze, to the jetty and the end of our introduction to the Canadian canoe.

I had planned all along, to hire the boat for a few hours after our lesson, so after collecting our grub, camera, etc we set off again, after some more cautionary words from Johns wife Sarah.
Suffice to say we made it to the island we chose as our target but found we continued to learn for ourselves as well as develop and put to very good use,what John had taught us.

Us posing for a quick picture! we didn't sit in the boat all the time! (faces blurred to protect the innocent!)
P4190001copy.jpg

This could be us any other time!: a few folk wandering around the top of Catbells.
P4190016copy.jpg

this shows some of the choppy conditions south of the island, Oh and Great End/Sca Fell Pike:
P4190017copy.jpg

I'll post some more pictures as well as a description of the, rather hairy, paddle back down, later on!

I hope this hasn't been too boring, it was a fantastic introduction for me and the lad and I would whole heartedly recommend ANYONE, who is thinking of getting in a canoe for the first time, to consider some professional, basic instruction, before you go.

AND, if you fancy a trip to Derwent Water,in the Lakes,then I would also Recommend John and Sarah Platt's center: "Platty +" for very friendly and professional service.

Just to be clear: I have absolutely no connection with Platty + other than being a very satisfied customer.

More later in the week!

All the best
R.B.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sounds like a great trip/experience RB!
More folk should try open boats - the best fusion of watersports and bushcraft possible!
Anyone wanting canoe coaching in West Wales?
Give me a call and I will try and sort something out for you - discounts for site members....
Not August though......I will be on exped again!

rancid badger

Great R.B may go and have some tuition there myself!
Any thoughts on your first vessle?
dave

Thats the problem, I can afford a Pelican but I want a Mad River Explorer 16!
I'm in a quandary now; I've had a few hours in a "proper" boat so will the Pelican be a total let down?

I think I'll have to go with the Costco battleship, because I'm looking at having to fork out for a full outfit, including: roof bars, pfd's, paddles, straps and of course the boat. The advice I have had from pretty much everyone ( in particular notthose trying to sell me a boat!) is buy the best you can afford.

I may yet hang fire and try to get some cash together by selling some kit on here:rolleyes:
Mind you, it's sod's law that anything I sell to help finance my boat will probably be needed if I start going camping with the canoe:11doh:

We'll just have to see:(

best wishes
R.B.

rancid badger

Sounds like a great trip/experience RB!
More folk should try open boats - the best fusion of watersports and bushcraft possible!
Anyone wanting canoe coaching in West Wales?
Give me a call and I will try and sort something out for you - discounts for site members....
Not August though......I will be on exped again!

Your right about more folk giving it a go!
The paddle back down the lake was quite choppy but with the knowledge learned from John, we knew what to do and when, although I did forget the bit about letting the wind do the work for you when possible!

It was a cracking day out and invaluable experience for the future.
R.B.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'm in a quandary now; I've had a few hours in a "proper" boat so will the Pelican be a total let down?

You'll enjoy your paddling much more in the long run if you buy a canoe that's the most suitable for your needs ( and wants... ). It's like the old adage about walking boots: Buy the best boots that you can afford and economise on everything else ( except your safety gear ).

As for roof bars, I had none for years. All I used to do was rest the canoe on four closed cell foam blocks and tie the canoe down with some ratchet straps that I liberated from a skip through the open doors of my car.

If you go fellwalking, you have all the clothing that you need to start, so that's a saving there too.

Cheers, Michael.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Haven't done alot of myself. But I do think it is the finest way of travelling, without doubt.

rancid badger

Can I ask how much you paid for the tuition? It sounds like something I might do with Cameron sometime soon.

Eric

We paid £15 each for an hours tuition, which was really more like an hour and a half, so that was £30
then another £25 to hire the boat for another two hours which turned into two and a half hours. That was enough for our first go mind you, especially after drifting to the wrong side of the lake and having to make our way back across into the wind!:twak:

Seriously Eric, it's far and away the best £55 I've ever spent on anything, in fact I consider this pretty cheap, if not underpriced and I'm as tight as a fishes backside when it comes to spending my own money!

if you want to book it up the numbers are:
017687 76572
017687 77282 (waterside office)

As I said in the original post; I have no other connection than that of a seriously happy customer and anyone fancying a go at open canoeing could do much worse than start here.

rancid badger

You'll enjoy your paddling much more in the long run if you buy a canoe that's the most suitable for your needs ( and wants... ). It's like the old adage about walking boots: Buy the best boots that you can afford and economise on everything else ( except your safety gear ).

As for roof bars, I had none for years. All I used to do was rest the canoe on four closed cell foam blocks and tie the canoe down with some ratchet straps that I liberated from a skip through the open doors of my car.

If you go fellwalking, you have all the clothing that you need to start, so that's a saving there too.

Cheers, Michael.

Oh Michael!:(

I know I need to buy the best I can, I'm swinging around between the Costco battleship, with enough left over for roof bars,decent pfd's, strps, paddles and buoyancy bags etc.

Blow the lot on an Old Town Discovery 158 the same as we were hiring but have to scratch for the rest of the gear over the next few months.

Or A Clearwater Kawartha with decent paddles, ok ba's and then scratch for the rest.

I know the Old Town will pretty much last me out with some care but, honestly, what a dilemma!

Buxxer buxxer buxxer:(

cheers R.B.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Heheh - just to throw my oar in (sorry) I'd get the good boat and cheapo paddles, etc for now. Does mean that all your pressies are going to be predictable for the next while though ;)

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Probably no help in your dilemma but I rate my pals Pelican as a better tandem flatwater tourer than my Nova Craft Prospector(which isn't a million miles away from an OT Disco 158 in design).

:p

rancid badger

Could you not buy one second hand from Platty+? They must replace their stock on a fairly regular basis.

Eric

I did ask if they sold boats but the reply was negative, although I didn't actually specify secondhand/ex hire etc.:bluThinki

It's possible that they lease their boats but just as likely they don't!

I'll tell you what though Eric, how about we organise a training /hire session for bcuk members with Platty +?, we could at least "test the water" (sorry couldn't resist that one:D ) to see if there is any interest.
What do you reckon?

R.B.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I did ask if they sold boats but the reply was negative, although I didn't actually specify secondhand/ex hire etc.:bluThinki

It's possible that they lease their boats but just as likely they don't!

I'll tell you what though Eric, how about we organise a training /hire session for bcuk members with Platty +?, we could at least "test the water" (sorry couldn't resist that one:D ) to see if there is any interest.
What do you reckon?

R.B.

Yup, Cameron and I would be up for that. If I could only get my canoe plans back from you know who, I'd be up for a group build of decent plywood prospectors. Then we could decorate them in a bushcrafty sort of way. You know, bulk buy the plywood, bulk buy the resin, filler and other stuff and all get tore into making our own craft. I'd even tear the guts out of the poly tunnel for the duration so we'd have somewhere to build them in peace and quiet.

Eric

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Iv'e got the plans for a cedar strip canoe if you want them Eric, was gona make one myself but the weight put me off,been looking about myself and i think the pelican from costco is the best way to go,as the apache they say is really a one man with your kit.

Bernie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE