Ventile - is it warm?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I'm on the lookout for a new wetproof (don't need one, just want one:lmao: ) and am considering a single skin ventile jobby as a possibilty (amoung others). Only problem is, I run warm, so will I find a ventile jacket too warm?

TIA, Mike.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If it's waterproof you're after, you will need double Ventile. I have a BCUK Ventile jacket, which is a single layer, and it's perfect for the vast majority of outdoor tasks. If, however, you are unfortunate enough to be out in rain like we're having at the moment, you will get wet. I run hot as well and, while the jacket doesn't keep you cool, there are enough ventilation options to prevent you sweating your life away as you slog uphill. In fact, the only design fault as I see it lies in the use of a water resistant zipper on the front of the jacket; if they had used a normal zip with a storm flap, the ventilation of it would be yet more efficient.

To get back to Ventile as a warm fabric, it does feel warm but not in that clammy/sweaty way that a synthetic does. It 'breathes' as well as a synthetic and stiffens up surprisingly when wet. It's brilliantly quiet, will outlast any Goretex/eVent alternative and, for nearly all the wear you'll give it, is outrageously comfortable. But waterproof it ain't.

I feel as though I've chuntered on without really answering your question - apologies!:eek:

Hi Mike
Ventile is imho far more breathale than other materials that are on the market, as for is it warm really it depends what you wear underneath, personally I get on well with it and where higher work rates are the norm (cutting wood, clearing brush for a camp site, digging a fire pit etc) I prefer it to the likes of goretex. When it's time to be still sling a fleece on underneath and stay warm. For the hills I still favour goretex or similar in bad weather but rarely wear more than a thermal T under it when physically active otherwise I cook.
Have a look atSASS for bombproof made to measure and reasonably priced kit.
Cheers Tim

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Single skin ventile is ideal for most uses from immersion suits to defeating the ingress of light rain. Double ventile is great for snow and moderate rain conditions. Single skin Ventile with a very light weight totally waterproof micro cag is great for the worst of weathers when you get the comfort of the Ventile and the total waterproofing of the micro cag. When the weather eases pocket the micro and enjoy the comfort of the Ventile!
As to warmth - Ventile is about as warm as a comprable weight synthetic top IMHO.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ventile is cotton so its not really warm, as others have said, pick you under garments with care.

I don't own Ventile now, its too expensive for me to justify it to be honest, so I rely on Gortex in the rain (better than Ventile in heavy exposed rain) and wool jumpers/shirts ect. If I had to pick a jacket for woodland camping then I guess logic would say go for Ventile, its quiet, can be warm, windproof etc, but even at my age, I still like to do some open camping here in Wales, so reality would dictate I replace my Gortex Berghaus with a similar product, I hate getting a soaking:rolleyes:

If you want winter warmth, go for a down jacket:cool: I picked one up here on the forum, old, but responded well to a dose of downwash, and is just so cozy:)

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated. Looks like I'm asking too much of a fabric; I need it to be wet proof (don't like getting cold, been there and it wasn't nice), silent, lightish weight and in a muted colour (hate the dayglo colours a lot of jackets are). Not that bothered about the flame retatrdant bit, as I don't do much sitting 'round the campfire (yet), and have an M65 for that sort of thing.
May have to rethink my wants and needs a bit, set some priorities.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Sounds like your looking for the samething as me, but i'll be adding casual to the mix aswell as i'll be wanting to wear it 'up toon' on cold damp nights :eek:
Have never used ventile but it always gets good reviews, goretex and the like keep you dry but i just don't like the feeling of shell jackets anymore. Who knows what i'll end up getting, probably a casual waxed jacket. I know it won't be that breathable but i'm not running around in it and i can always take it off if it gets a bit warm while making camp.
I always have a poncho with me if i'm out for a night so that'll deal with the heavy downpours.
Then theres the length of time these garments will last versus the initial cost of the garment. A heavy duty goretex jacket last's me about 4yrs barring disasters, lighter shell's last half that. Ventile i'm not sure and would be interested to hear what sort of life everybody else gets. Waxed jackets last far longer if you buy a decent one (although Barbour seam to have let there quality go a bit recently) and look after it.
Anybody got a G1000 Fjallraven jkt? they look real nice, especially the brushed Hilsboro jkt :Wow:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have the Westwinds/Tamarack Clougha and love it. I haven't worn it in serious rain, but have worn it during moderate rainfall for a day and stayed dry - but the jacket did stiffen up a bit.

As has been said - choose you layers carefully with ventile. I tend to walk hot so just wear mine with a merino base layer and when I stop put a hat on. Longer stops require more layers!

"exclusive Single layer ventile long smock designed by Tamarack and produced by westwinds

Long smock with zip opening to top with stormflap over and popper finish. 2 large chest pockets with poppers, large pouch pocket with zip to both sides and drawstring cord for waist contained within. Single adjustment hood with stiff wired peak.

Large cuffs to allow them to be rolled up with velcro adjustment to get them tight when needed. Short side zips to base of garment to allow movement when wet. Supplied with life systems head net with a multitude of uses and waterproof stuffsack."

4000.jpg

The only mod I've done is add a D clip under the flap of the chest pockets to fasten small items to.

Simon

EDIT:- Sizes are generous - I usually take a large but have a medium in this and it is a nice, comfortable fit.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...Only problem is, I run warm, so will I find a ventile jacket too warm?...

Not likely, Mike. It will keep you warm due to its windproof properties (it has little insulating properties against cold air temperatures, unlike wool, for instance), but will allow sweat to permeate through the layers if the ventile is the outer shell. A single layer ventile will not keep you dry in anything other than a short shower of rain, at least from my experience.

If you need a totally waterproof layer this will come at the expense of 'breathability', one can buy a totally waterproof jacket and trouser shell for around £10, but if worn for any length of time (when physically active) will produce problems relating to the build up of moisture in the mid and base layers. Gortex is a good compromise as an outer shell, but if you run hot this is likely to be a problem too if the garment prevents you from venting warm, moist air, that builds up inside the layers during energetic activity.

One of the best and cheapest solutions for keeping dry in prolonged rain is a poncho, this will also allow moisture to escape from the base and mid layers during energetic activity, due to the ample flow of air between the outer shell layer and the poncho.

It’s all horses for courses. You need to think about what you will be doing when wearing clothing and balance that against the experience of you own body’s heat and moisture output during various activities.

Best regards,
Paul.

PS: I can't comment on double ventile as I have no experience of it.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Talking of waxed jackets, I have been dropping the hint about the Barbour Commando Jacket, ho hum, not much response to this idea as an xmas prezzie yet:(

http://www.bennettsirongate.co.uk/o...r-A550-Green/0/barbour-cowan-commando-jacket/

Check out the filson range, same price but better build quality and even more hard wearing, http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/d...tdoor Clothing&filterb=Filson&filterc=Jackets Like the look of the Timberline model myself and i'm past the giving hints stage, we just tell each other what we want nowadays :lmao:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Rab make a good looking jacket called the Bergen which even comes in a relatively subdued, bushcrafty colour. Reviews/crits. seem to be universally favourable too. It might be worth a look.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've got a Fjallraven G-1000 anorak. The Nordli model, if I remember correctly. I'd rate it as being roughly as good in the rain as Ventile. The only thing I miss about my retired Ventile parka is that when it got wet, it stiffened up and to me at least, felt like I was wearing a suit of armour. The G-1000 dries a lot quicker too. And as for the Greenland wax proofing, it's wonderful stuff and very easy to apply. I don't know if its any better to Ventile, but its certainly a viable alternative.

Adam

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a couple of Fjallraven jackets as well - the Telemark II and the Greenland. Excellent fabric which when waxed as per instructions is very water resistant, but not quite (IMHO) as good as Ventile. Also G1000 is poly cotton (65%/35%) so more prone to spark damage with the wax adding to the burn dangers, compared to 100% cotton Ventile.
G1000 seems cooler to wear than Ventile in my experience.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
Anyone interested in this; it looks good, I would have bidded but it is too big for me;
(no connection with seller etc).

Ventile Jacket Ebay Item number: 320181888098

about 2 hours 45 mins left to go at time of this post (19-Nov-07 20:27:37 GMT)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Bought my Westwinds Ventile jacket during the summer and would agree with every one here, single layer Ventile is great in light to moderate rain and as a wind-blocker, so helps to keep you warm in conjunction with a decent base-layer etc. Another thing to mention is the weight increase when it gets wet, it is noticeable but not excessive I find.

I have a cheap light-weight waterproof shell jacket and trousers set at the moment, but thinking of switching top half to a poncho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE