vegetarian

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
Is any one on here vegetarian?

Being vegetarian doesn't seem very "bushcrafty" and people on here probably think its stupid.

Im just wandering what people think, ive always been vegetarian and I like being vegetarian but it probably woudn't be good in a survival situaion.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Not at all stupid, there are quite a few veggies about - Toddy makes a mean stir-fry wit them, as I sampled at last years Eglington Park meet.. :)

In a survival situation you'd really have to take what you could get to live, if you had a glut of something, you could stock it up, but chances are you'd have to think very much on eating an animal if you could get one. However depending on where you are, it could be very easy to eat only veggie stuff and been fine for quite a while. More easily if you are be the sea and can harvest seaweeds.... not that tasty but full of goodness.

Cheers,

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
As an experiment I've been vegetarian for 12 months, got my blood tested and all was fine so it certainly isn't unhealthy for me to eat no meat (quite probably the opposite).
But because I don't want to be too annoying, I do eat meat when visiting other peoples places, which makes me veggie for about 5 out of 7 days now.

I'm not experiencing any problems eating no meat when hiking but in a survival situation I would have to eat animals because my knowledge of plants is not great enough... Did get a small book of poisonous plants, so that's a start at least ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been vegetarian for most of my adult life.
It really never occurs to me to be otherwise tbh.
These days I'm pretty much vegan since I can no longer digest milk. That seems to run in the family though, my Grandmother was the same.
I do eat honey though, so that makes me not vegan.

Out of all the edibles on the planet I only don't eat mammal, reptile, fish, fowl or insect. Everything else is fair game :D

Folks get too hung up on the must catch, kill and consume. It's not needed and in a survival situation it's not always the best course of action anyway. It's possible to expend way too much effort and energy hunting that would be better used for shelter, water, warmth and foraging.

...........watch the fur fly now :D :D

cheers,
Toddy

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Yep, me too - 12 years now. I think in a true survival situation I would eat whatever would keep me alive but in the meantime, perfectly happy as I am.

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
I am a veggie, in day to day life it is fine, if your living in the winderness it would be just about impossible imho. There is next to nothing that grows in this country that would provide you with a good range of amino acids. Even if you were farming you would still struggle, quality sources of protien include lentils, soy etc, which as far as I know arent grown in this country. Even high calorie veg, such at potatos are very low in protien(2%), you might survive, but your health would suffer.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Broad beans, which apparently have the second highest protein content in the plant kingdom, are very easy to grow in Britain and store very well when dried.

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
Oh im not the only one then, I quite like being a veggie.

If I was in the wilderness (I wish...) I could eat fish which is probably allot easier than hunting deer with a bow.

One day I might catch a small fish, cook it bushcraft style and eat it just for the
experience.

Do you reckon you could harvest pigeon eggs?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
As said earlier, get yourself to the sea shore, apparently only 35 miles from anywhere in the UK.. lol easier said than done though. Gutweed and any of the lavers are loaded with protein, with laver having up to 25g of it per 100g - dry weight. Quite a few other useful minerals in there too. Grows all year round, combine that with any plants you can gather, and you'd survive nicely.

Cheers,

im assuming by vegaterain you mean some one who dosnt eat the flesh of animals, fowl and fish etc but will eat their produce and dosn't mind them being killed to produce it etc ie milk n eggs etc.

I dont see it as a problem for bushcraft, in the old world of survival plants where the most abundant and easiest to catch form of food freash meat being a difficult to get luxury that you could if not careful expend more energy catching than you got etc Fungi are the bit in between

plus theres a lot more to Bushcraft than food :D

ATB

Duncan

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
I dont eat meat
I dont drink milk but sometimes have butter
I love eggs though!

And why would you have to kill a bird to get its eggs??

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't eat egg, really can't see why anyone would want to ? :confused: though I'm assured that there are *no* poisonous eggs, they're all edible.

I miss good cheese, but I have become used to the vegan cheesly. Not the same at all though :sigh:

The *problem* with amino acids is no problem. Modern research shows that so long as the range is acquired somehow there is no necessity to consume them at the same time.
The only thing a vegan diet misses is one of the B vitamins and that's provided by yeast.
My mate Marmite :D

There are masses of edible plants in the UK, it is access to them that is restricted.

cheers,
Toddy

I dont eat meat
I dont drink milk but sometimes have butter
I love eggs though!

And why would you have to kill a bird to get its eggs??

for bought eggs you need females to lay them

50% of the chicks hatched are males and no use (dont lay eggs and arnt meat birds) so are gassed or minced as chicks

same for milk 50% of the replacment female calves are born male arnt any use for meat so a lot are shot and skipped every cow has to calf yearly to produce milk and is replaced about every 5 years so a 20% replacement to get this you bread 40% with milk type Bulls half will be usless as males the other 60% you bred with meat Bulls these are all killed but used for meat male or female.

unfortunatly us males arnt much use :rolleyes:

wild bird eggs would be different

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE