Vegetarian/vegan camp food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My typo error November last year it's been 3 months. 2023 I meant to type, will edit post now. Apologies to all

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Oh, not quite so bad, but still bad enough.

I think you really do need to see if you can get this looked at again though; this is impacting your job fitness (well, it must at least be a concern for you) and if it can be fixed/supported properly somehow, it's got to be worth the effort.

I am the world's worst at refusing to pester my Doctor, but sometimes it really is necessary.

Best of luck sorting it out; you're too young to thole this for the rest of your days if something can be done about it.

Reactions: Cuckoo996

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
@gibson 175

I think so too.

That's over a year, I'd be trying hard to get to see a doctor. Hernias can be repaired, or ameliorated. Old joiners, cartwrights and the like, they wore 'belts', heavy leather belts for their hernias. Used to be a common workplace injury when folks did a lot of heavy lifting.

Not for hiatus hernias they didn't! These aren't like stomach hernias. (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hiatus-hernia/)
They no longer like to operate on hiatus hernias because the result is temporary.
The OP must get a GP appointment. They are well controlled by medication though, as suggested, cutting things like caffeine, sadly malt, spicy foods, and other stuff helps. So does a Gaviscon before going to bed :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I understood that hiatus hernia could be repaired using keyhole surgery these days.

The belts men used to wear weren't only to support a hernia though, like the weightlifters, they give support that stops the hernias.

Had a looksee, and the NHS says,
"Surgery for a hiatus hernia. Keyhole surgery (also called a Laparoscopy) is usually used for a hiatus hernia. This involves making small cuts in your tummy ..."

I think honestly, we can talk it around and around, but everybody's different.
I still think getting something like this looked at by a Doctor is a good idea though.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I understood that hiatus hernia could be repaired using keyhole surgery these days.

The belts men used to wear weren't only to support a hernia though, like the weightlifters, they give support that stops the hernias.

Had a looksee, and the NHS says,
"Surgery for a hiatus hernia. Keyhole surgery (also called a Laparoscopy) is usually used for a hiatus hernia. This involves making small cuts in your tummy ..."

I think honestly, we can talk it around and around, but everybody's different.
I still think getting something like this looked at by a Doctor is a good idea though.

Agreed :)
I won't point you to the article (with pictures) that explains the complications and why surgery is not recommended in most cases.
Anyway, we are drifting. The OP really must get to see a doctor before he worries about how he needs to change his diet to go camping :)

Reactions: Cuckoo996 and Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Agreed :)
I won't point you to the article (with pictures) that explains the complications and why surgery is not recommended in most cases.
Anyway, we are drifting. The OP really must get to see a doctor before he worries about how he needs to change his diet to go camping :)

Self Acceptance is the first step.

:)

• Haha
Reactions: Cuckoo996 and Broch

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm sure Mr Cuckoo regrets not splitting the post up into at three different topics...

Whilst I agree that getting the issue sorted is the best idea I also understand how difficult it can be to see a GP and when you do and get referred you can wait months/years to be seen and then months/years to get an opp.

So, the original post for vegie options seems perfectly fine to me, and useful for others.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have a hiatious hernia, and all I got was some meds which are not great in the long term, as they reduce stomach acid, which is nessasary for proper digestion. I got no diet advice, except, stop smoking and don't drink alcohol!
Diet is important. I find that apple cider vinegar has helped, along with a good diet of mainly veg, and very occasional lean meat works pretty well.
Protein from beans , nuts, eggs, cheese and milk. Plenty of veg, this time of year, there are plenty to choose from, and I'm coping well, not loosing weight,(oh I wish I could kick a stone, and get into my old fjalravens)
Food doesn't have to be fancy to be nutritional. A good stew is fantastic, beans and mushrooms instead of meat work well. In the not so distant past, meat was a luxury rather than a normal part of a meal for many manual workers , such as farm hands, so I base my diet on what my great gran would cook , she lived to 103 yrs old. Meat for her was not what it is today. Plenty of offal, which is lean, no fat, and veg up to your ears! I could get away with not eating meat, as that could be eaten cold in sarnies or put in a stew or pie, but I had to eat my veg, no argument! As a kid, I hated it. Now I see the wisdom of it.
I base my food choices on veg, and it's done me fine so far. We can get away with a lot less protein than we are led to believe from those that profess to know what's best for us.
I use olive oil as my fat of choice.
I'm no expert, but just someone who has been dealing with this very problem for the last four years.
Another trick, is smaller meals so your tum has less to deal with at once. Porridge in the morning, then a light salad lunch with a veggie meal in the evening, not eating past 5 or 6pm so you have time to fully digest your meal before you lie down to sleep.
Cut out caffeine, particularly coffee, I do find my beloved chocolate can be a problem too, I like some at the end of the day, so I've just moved to eating a small amount after lunch instead.
I know the hairy bikers veg cook book has been suggested, try also the river cottage veg cook book. And then there is my favorite book of all, cranks cook book. I still use that for most of my cooking. Cranks is a vegetarian restaurant and produced their own cook book in paperback. I've never had any complaints, or leftovers, even from meat eaters when I serve cranks food, (though they could just be being polite,)

Forgot to add to my waffle, that things like sauerkraut, kimchi, keffir and other gut health inducing foods and drinks have helped a lot, its taken about a year to get back to where I feel mostly comfortable, though I still have the odd playing up of the system!

Last edited:
  • Love

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Quinoa is good for proteins and carbs and in flake form it’s super fast to cook, so great for a camp breakfast in the morning.

Otherwise, just plenty of vegetables and root veg, as well as pulses and beans, and nuts and seeds. Cheese and eggs are very good options too.

Frozen veg are cheap and easy to dehydrate at home if you want to cut down on weight, or you can buy dried veg of various sorts in bulk and not have to do it yourself.

If you save weight by bringing dehydrated veg and carbs, then you can take the hit on bringing tinned lentils and beans (transferred out of the tin preferably).

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
If you want to find "interesting" pulses etc, you could look at Hodemedods: https://hodmedods.co.uk/

A lot of UK-grown stuff (including chia seed, lentils and chickpeas grown in UK) and a wide range of flours (pea flour, fava bean flour etc) and such like.

Their roasted fava bean snacks really are moreish.... and if you don't mind carrying tins, the tins of pulses are very convenient (cooking pulses from dry takes so long without a pressure cooker).

I am currently following a very low carb (and calorie restricted) eating plan to get rid of a lot of lard and resensitise my glucose metabolism, but when I eventually get to a "maintenance" phase, it's their stuff I will be looking at.....

GC

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, yo will have to tell us a bit about that; I too am avoiding stodge

(And The Practice Nurse is very pleased with me).

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
There are many options, but much depends on the circumstances. For instance will you have abundant access to fuel and water? If so lentils are easy to cook from dry. They don't need soaking. Add some fat/oil, salt and ground spices, onion/garlic, and you are off.

A tube of tomato purée goes a long way too.

For carbs, rice, couscous, quiona, pasta.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Oh, yo will have to tell us a bit about that; I too am avoiding stodge

(And The Practice Nurse is very pleased with me).

Assuming it was my post you meant..... sorry this is a bit of a screed........

..... all of my father's family developed t2 diabetes in their early 50's. I had put a lot of weight on and had all the signs of metabolic syndrome....... was the right age...........

There's a whole background I won't go into including recent significant weight gain, but I decided to go back down the low carb route.

There's much more info out there about healthy low carb these days, my favourite is the Sarah Flowers "eating to beat T2 diabetes" cookbook (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eating-Bea...705832394&sprefix=sarah+flowers,aps,78&sr=8-6)

I based my eating plan on that. It's what I would term a "real food" low carb- so no artificial sweeteners. I'm also highly lactose intolerant these days which creates other limitations.

Basic plan is only 2 meals a day and NO SNACKS AT ALL. One meal mid-morning, the other in the early evening. Not quite intermittent fasting (I did that initially but if I fast too long I get gut issues when I do eat) but minimum 12 hours after evening meal before any further calorific intake. Plenty of greens- pak choi, chinese cabbages, baby spinach, broccoli etc, and choosing nutrient rich foods such as good quality free-range eggs, UK-grown chia seeds (from Hodemedods), good quality meats (organic if possible), organic butter, proper traditional cheese (hard cheese only). I also make my own yoghurt from local milk (I use lactase enzyme to split the lactase, then ferment for 48 hours then strain). A controlled amount of berries- rasps, strawbs (the frozen aisle is your friend). Brazil nuts are good- 3 or 4 nuts a day only though. Also a few squares of 90% dark chocolate each day.

I always have at least 2 eggs a day (2 or 3 eggs scrambled with chia seed and add Vit D/K2 oil to the mix is a good breakfast). If away and maybe food might be difficult to get, I hard-boil 2 or 3 eggs and leave them in the shell to take with me. That will get me through a full day away working, with no temptation to eat the biscuits around me in client offices or buy junk from a service station.

Whilst the foods sound more expensive- they are- I eat a lot less in quantity, and NO SNACKS so overall the cost is less.

I don't specifically count carbs, but I do limit berries, nuts and the dark chocolate. Works out at around 20g net carbs a day. I can fine-tune my fibre intake using the chia seeds and greens so my gut works happily.

I have a couple of rules though: absolutely no snacks of any type between meals. If I think I'm hungry I ask myself: could I eat a hard-boiled egg? If the answer is no, then I'm not actually hungry, I just think I am. Perhaps I'm thirsty- so try a glass of water or herbal tea. That was how I got out of the snacking/constant grazing habit and in turn got the overall food intake down.

Alcohol: whilst limiting to dry wine means I don't gain weight from it, I don't lose weight either if having alcohol, so I have to minimise alcohol intake to the occasional glass of dry wine (sparkling wine in 250mL cans is a good option for occasional drink).

Current status: lost at least 6 inches from all over and dropped 3-4 dress sizes so far in a year. That's a decent sustainable rate. Need at least another year to get to a healthy size, but feeling much better. Experience tells me that once the body food system is retrained and a healthy size reached, an amount of pulses and occasional whole oats can be tolerated in a miantenance eating plan- but quantities of them and food in general needs remain small, and sugary things must remain off the menu as I find them too addictive to only have a small amount.

Overall: I guess that I have peasant genes from the north of England, evolved to live on pastoral products and survive famines.

This is not an easy option as you need to make clear rules for yourself and stick to them. And do so long enough to totally change habits and metabolism. For me, that's a minimum of 2 years.

I cannot say whether this would work for anyone else; it is what works for me, done in a way which works for me. But if this is of interest, the Sarah Flowers cookbook I mention is a great place to start. She's UK based and is a medical practitioner working for the NHS, so has a UK focus and level of credibility.

GC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE