Vegetarian/vegan camp food?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The thread title was kind of straightforward though.

Not a lot of meat in, "Vegetarian/ vegan camp food".

Ah, it's BcUK, the threads and conversations ramble around :D

100kg isn't that heavy these days. I know a heck of a lot of folks in that range and sort of up to 125kgs.

I think it could be hard work to keep that weight though if working really hard and not getting enough calories. It's not just protein the body needs, but it needs calories.
How you get them is up for dispute, especially if you're limited in what you can eat.

OP says he can't eat meat or tofu and isn't fond of fish.
Vegetarian / vegan food's easy enough.

Camping though, that means carrying it, and that's another issue.

Dried foods that cook up quickly, like potatoes, couscous, noodles, are all calorie rich, and if you can manage milk, then the full fat dried milk's an excellent source, it will enrich foods very well, and you can make cheese with it too.
Flour makes flatbreads, bannocks, again calorie high, use the dried milk in the mix and you're adding protein.
Dried egg's pretty dire, but if it's cold and you're only going for a couple of days, make up scrambled egg and bag it. Eat it promptly and it'll be fine.
Garlic granules, crispy fried onions, sundried tomatoes, herbs....all lightweight, all full of flavour and easy to add to recipes.

Agree with this bit completely .

• Haha
Reactions: Cuckoo996 and Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Lupin Flour Nutrition Facts
Calories/NutrientAmount per 3.5 oz (100g)Amount per 1/4 cup (30g)
Calories247 kcal74 kcal
Carbohydrates40.0 g12.0 g
Fiber36.7 g11.0 g
Sugars3.3 g1.0 g
Fat6.7 g2.0 g
Protein40.0 g12.0 g
Sodium30.0 mg9.0 mg

Not sure what that means

Equal ratio of carbs to protein. And that part of the Carbs that is simple sugar is very low. Interesting stuff.

Reactions: Cuckoo996

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
:sleep:

Same old, same old…
At the risk of echoing your petulance, get a mirror... and as for threads, start one yourself in which the first post makes it clear that anyone who doesn't agree with you is unwelcome, and I promise not to participate in it...

Back on topic, the options for someone who wants to eat meat but has not found a way to do so comfortably / healthily, are something well-worth investigating and, for me anyway, are very interesting. Be they entirely meat-free, or of a kind of meat hitherto unconsidered, there really is nothing wrong in offering suggestions which are made with good intent. I am glad to read in some posts of things I've not come across, lupin flour being an example.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I could make some high protein scones with that or drop scones/American pancakes when out and about.

I've never cooked with Lupin flower. Have grown the plant out of interest a few times.

Would be interesting in how scones turn out.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Agree with this bit completely .

Sorry Toddy - I wasn't trying to be humorous. :)

So protein has 4 calories per gram , carbs 4 calories per gram and Fat 9 calories per gram.

Alot of gym bros & teenagers ( not saying the OP is one - just an observation ) focus too much on protein as the key to grow lean mass as opposed to calories whilst in truth calorie consumption is the more critical catalyst for 'dem gainz... '

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@GNJC
That's not what he said.
He commented that every thread that supposedly opens to discuss vegetarian/vegan food attracts the carnivores coming in to defend their meat eating...case in point :rolleyes2:

Reactions: nigelp

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire

So protein has 4 calories per gram , carbs 4 calories per gram and Fat 9 calories per gram.

Alot of gym bros & teenagers ( not saying the OP is one - just an observation ) focus too much on protein as the key to grow lean mass as opposed to calories whilst in truth calorie consumption is the more critical catalyst for 'dem gainz... '

I managed to cultivate 10 kilos of mass without any special diet, by simply moving from an active job to a desk job. Unfortunately it’s all lard.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

I know you prefer on topic.

Well, this thread sure wandered, right from Vegetarian / vegan to the comments about meat, even though he clearly says he can't eat it.

:dunno:

I think you're right about the calories bit....because it's easy to bulk up on calories, just try and make them 'good' calories, and keep a variety in the diet.
My tuppence ha'penny worth :)

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
@GNJC
That's not what he said.
He commented that every thread that supposedly opens to discuss vegetarian/vegan food attracts the carnivores coming in to defend their meat eating...case in point :rolleyes2:
If you read the first post you'll note that the OP wrote the following:

I've recently HAD to become vegetarian due to health issues, (40 years of being a carnivore, not a lifestyle choice I would willingly make) and I'm struggling to find food I can take camping.

I am not a carnivore, I am an omnivore and I don't defend mean eating, because I don't need to, because an omnivorous diet is something we have unarguably evolved to.

If you can offer a convincing case that the words of the OP that I quote above argue against making suggestions of possibly acceptable meats, I'll happily concede the point.

However, a plain reading of it suggests that the vegetarian option is not one of choice; this being so it is entirely reasonable to offer the chance of a preferable alternative.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE