Vaseline in torches ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A

appletree_man

Is there any advatage in smearing a spot of vaseline on the internal contacts in torches ? Would it attack plastic ?

I've read various DIY tips over the years about using vaseline to protect exterior electrical contacts (doorbells, lights, etc).

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I've no idea about the effect on plastics (although it would be minimal, I expect, and I've never seen evidence of any problems) or the advantages of using it on electrical contacts, but I can say that I always use the stuff on the screw threads of my Maglites. Helps with the waterproofing and reduces wear and tear, particularly important given the rotary switch of the AA and AAA torches.

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
The best thing to use on contacts is Deoxit Gold to clean them and ProGold to keep them that way.

Vaseline can be used with some o rings, but not others, and it's hard to tell which is which.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Vaseline can be used with some o rings, but not others, and it's hard to tell which is which.

From personal experience (and avoiding a descent in to smutty jokes :D ) it's been fine with the Maglites. I've been using it for over ten years and haven't had any problems. It's certainly fine with some plastics since it is commonly sold in plastic jars, but of course that doesn't mean that problems will not arise with others.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I wouldn't do it (use vaseline).

Use silicone grease for o-rings and leave the electrical contacts alone, they won't corrode during regular use. A leaking battery will corrode them in which case you would need to lightly sand them clean. Some propriety cleaners sold for the purpose of cleaning corroded contacts might work well also.

Vaseline has been used on car battery terminals to supposedly create a better contact due to the corrosion from the elements. Vaseline isn't a good conductor of electricity though and it can only help to seal the contacts from moisture and dirt. A better solution in this case is a product like copper grease. Copper grease is designed to conduct electricity and it also helps to protect the contacts to some extent. I wouldn't put it in a torch though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE