Various Carvers.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
A batch I have finished this week. Needed to make the oval one for delivery at the Bushcraft Magazine Meet this weekend so did a few more as its a rare event my hands are clean enough for woodwork.

Two blades in laburnum with bolsters are bearing steel laminates. larger one in Mulberry is bearing monsteel with a forged/ integral bolster. s
Smaller is a detail carver- mystery wood but it looks good to me. I have been really enjoying octagonal (ish) axe and adze handles and have been making detail carvers in this style occasionally and thought it wold be good to see if it works for bigger blades. Also wanted to see if a wider blade has any benefit over a narrower one in a wide handle. To my eye it look better, but that is not on overiding concern for a blade that is intended to be used. comments welcome.
Mike- fill your boots; they are on the other foot now!

blades.jpg

bladesoblique.jpg

Last edited:

mikew

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 25, 2005
West Yorkshire
Ha ha. They all look cracking mate.

I like wider bladed knives. Purists may say the extra width gets in the way, but then I'm no purist. What are the dimensions?

I don't believe I've seen a knife of this type with an octagonal handle before, be interesting to see how it works. I have a kitchen knife with an octagonal handle and I love it but then I don't use it with anywhere near as much force as a wood carver.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Blades are around 75mm, two have big beefy handles much larger than I would usually try. Did have a go with one of Jon Macs Knives at WG , massive handle, felt odd but lots of control . I'll try them out this weekend- will see if the form works scaled up, is fine for detail carvers. Is a fairly common form in Scandinavia.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Very beautiful Nic and also well thought out whilst still being experimental.
Always a pleasure to see your work. It gives the rest of us something to aim at.
Simon

belabear

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2008
Austria
great looking handles nic, not to mention the blades!

by the way the spoon knives i got from you work a treat!

cheers from austria
belabear

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Nice clean lines, almost Japanese look. I am a fan of octagonal handles, most of my axes and many knives have them.

I am aware of octagonal Japanese kitchen knife handles, and I think chisels but wasn't aware of knife or axes. I am a big fan of Japanese tools though so is good to hear.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Thanks for the kind comments - Hopefully the commissioned knife will go down well. Was a good excuse to actually finish a few for once.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE