Vargo Ultimate Fire Starter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have to admit that the ferrocerium rod/firesteel is an essential for me - much the preferred way of lighting a fire or even my stove, if I have one. I've found that the car radio aerial 'bellows' is also very useful for encouraging reluctant fires to do a little better - they are far more efficient than planting your face on the loam and puffing at your dwindling coals.

The Vargo trick of combining the two looks interesting, though I'm not that keen on serrated scrapers for the ferro. rod. I wonder if the scraper is replaceable? It's that or filing it down to a reassuringly aggressive right-angle...

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have to admit that the ferrocerium rod/firesteel is an essential for me - much the preferred way of lighting a fire or even my stove, if I have one. I've found that the car radio aerial 'bellows' is also very useful for encouraging reluctant fires to do a little better - they are far more efficient than planting your face on the loam and puffing at your dwindling coals.

The Vargo trick of combining the two looks interesting, though I'm not that keen on serrated scrapers for the ferro. rod. I wonder if the scraper is replaceable? It's that or filing it down to a reassuringly aggressive right-angle...

When it gets here I'm going to see if the scraper can be changed out and if the Ferro rod can be replaced ( once worn out )

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've received this now.

First impressions are it well made , not much bigger than a Large Ferro Rod

The Ferro Rod that comes with it 45 mm long whilst the internal chamber of the bellow ( when closed ) is 110 mm , this means there is a volume of space that can be used for storing some tinder material.

If one puts a piece of duct tape over the exit end of the Bellows ( its capped in a black material with a small circular aperture ) you would have a water resistant ( proof? ) container for tinder storage.

I'm not saying its an exciting new product until I've field tested it enough to warrant carrying it - but it provides some useful functions and I think may make burning out bows , Kuskas and getting resistant fires to start just a little bit easier.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE