Vapalux Lantern

Just picked myself up a Vapalux parrafin lantern and managed to get hold of some parrafin today and I have a few questions.

- may sound silly but can these be used indoors in say power cut situations or will they give off too much CO?

- what is the best and safest way to transport these either without spillage or breakage

- anyone know where to get some useful bottles for storage of the parrafin and meths, preferebly with a spout for the meths

- what should I be looking at for a cost of a bottle of parrafin, just picked some up from a garden centre for £6.50 for a 4l bottle

Cheers,
Andy

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just picked myself up a Vapalux parrafin lantern and managed to get hold of some parrafin today and I have a few questions.

- may sound silly but can these be used indoors in say power cut situations or will they give off too much CO?

- what is the best and safest way to transport these either without spillage or breakage

- anyone know where to get some useful bottles for storage of the parrafin and meths, preferebly with a spout for the meths

- what should I be looking at for a cost of a bottle of parrafin, just picked some up from a garden centre for £6.50 for a 4l bottle

Cheers,
Andy

They are designed to be used inside and outdoors,often inside army 9x9, 12x12, 12x24 ( and so on) canvas tentage, so ideal in a powercut situation, you just need to ensure adequate ventilation.

For transporting the lamps, I made a couple of plywood boxes with hinged lids and some padding, to stop them rattling about and causing damage.
I always empty the lamps of fuel and fit new mantles ( ready for burning in) if I'm going to be transporting my lamps in a vehicle.

It's worth noting that a new glass, will cost you anything from £10-£35 on the likes of ebay, so taking steps to protect your lamp by making a box makes a lot of sense.

as far as the meths bottle goes, get one of these valvespout oiler bottles. They are worth every penny.
http://www.buckandhickman.com/find/keyword-is-VALVESPOUT/product-is-011830

For storing your fuel, either a 5L diesel container like you'd keep in the boot of the car or a larger container, say a 10 or 20 litre jerry can, if you want to buy from the pump.

£6.50's expensive! I paid £4.75 for 4 lt about two weeks ago from a garage.
They sell it from the pump at another local ( to me) garage, for about 96p/ litre ( last time I checked anyway) obviously you need a container to carry it in.

one final point:

Sadly, if you move pressure lamps around in a vehicle a lot, or they get a few knocks and bangs, the mantles don't last very long, so a few spares are essential.

Shop around for these;)

all the best

R.B.

PS: congratulations on buying the "Heineken" of pressure lamps ( probably, the best pressure lamp in the world):pokenest:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. Very handy to know that. The lantern I have is an M320 if that means anything, but yes badger I did go for a vapalux based on the reputation. Its mainly for the house if the power goes out or if I am going to camp where I know I will be staying for a little while rather than a chuck in the backpack lantern.

When are parts likely need replacing and do they require much technical knowhow? I have just put a new mantle which was simple enough for me but I have heard people talking about valves and vaporizers.

I do have oil central heating and was tempted to dip into that for some as it is Kerosene, which is the same as parrafin is it not? there are outdoor pumps at the place where I order my fuel and have been told I can go up with 5 gallon drums if I need extra fuel if they can't deliver for a while so its handy to know. I think I was quoted 59p a litre just before Christmas, so yeh I guess the bottle i bought was a bit expensive but it will do for a one off so I can see it working. :)

I quite fancy buying another just because it looks good....is this a bad sign? :eek:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for the replies guys. Very handy to know that. The lantern I have is an M320 if that means anything, but yes badger I did go for a vapalux based on the reputation. Its mainly for the house if the power goes out or if I am going to camp where I know I will be staying for a little while rather than a chuck in the backpack lantern.

When are parts likely need replacing and do they require much technical knowhow? I have just put a new mantle which was simple enough for me but I have heard people talking about valves and vaporizers.

I do have oil central heating and was tempted to dip into that for some as it is Kerosene, which is the same as parrafin is it not? there are outdoor pumps at the place where I order my fuel and have been told I can go up with 5 gallon drums if I need extra fuel if they can't deliver for a while so its handy to know. I think I was quoted 59p a litre just before Christmas, so yeh I guess the bottle i bought was a bit expensive but it will do for a one off so I can see it working. :)

I quite fancy buying another just because it looks good....is this a bad sign? :eek:

Ooohhh..YES! very bad sign that, nfact; THEE Worst!

You've been tuck now!!

I got hold of one, after using them a lot with the Army, then another and ended up with 5 on the "books" at one point.

I'm down to three currently but I'm probably going to divest ( brilliant word that;))myself of one of these and settle with two.

They don't take a lot of looking after really, I recently spent a happy couple of hours, replacing all the seals on one of my M320's.
Well, all but the non return valve seal on the pump, which I think you need a "special" tool for?:confused:
Then I started cleaning and polishing the bits and bobs,( which is what took up most of the time) splendid relaxation type therapy.:eek:

There are a couple of lamp/stove forums where you can get more info if you need it but I've managed my own addiction quite well really( I can stop buying/tinkering with/polishing my M320's anytime I want:) I just don't want to!)

Have you got a copy of the lighting instructions?

If not, I can pm you a reasonable copy no problem at all.

The main thing is; you have avoided the trap of buying a Tilley Lamp;)
Unless you go for the vintage ones, Tilleys are total rubbish

Oh and kerosene, is indeed paraffin:cool: and at that price it's a steal:)

If you get stuck with anything, give a shout and I'll happily help if I can, If I can't; someone else will be along with answers soon enough.

atb

R.B.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
On another forum that I frequent...

Paraffin

I have 6 containers each with at least 20l in. Is this of any interest at £10 each?
Collection from Leeds area

If anyone would like I can ask of it would be OK for a non-club member to collect some for me ;) if you would like?

Cheers

Grebby

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
This is mine.
5321463190_bde59a1906.jpg

It lives in the caravan and seems to attract thirsty folk after dark!

I do pack it carefully in a box, but I am still on the first mantle after 4 years. One additional benefit of these, especially in a power cut, is the kilowatt of heat they kick out as well as light. An excellent choice. Enjoy!

Z

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Central heating oil will work just fine. All parts and spares packs from http://www.base-camp.co.uk/Vapalux.html

Thanks badger, now I know I am doooommmed, must hide cards now :) .
I do have the lighting instructions, in actual fact I was half expecting the thing to flare up on my first go as I haven't used a pressure lantern before but the instructions seemed simple enough. Only issue is I need to get a small spout bottle as I had to take the lid off to get the meths in, seeing as it was a first try I didn't think it was too bad. Although one of the screws holding it on at the top is a bit too tight that I need pliers to undo it.

I was very tempted to get a tilley but I saw and read about the Vapalux ones being better so decided to gamble and try that.

So what is the output of CO from these, if any? Still a bit paranoid about that. :eek:

Zingmo, i see what you mean about the heat from it, it was rather pleasing in a way :)

Thanks Rik, I will remember that site. Might buy a few bits and bobs later on.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
So what is the output of CO from these, if any? Still a bit paranoid about that. :eek:
Ok I am having to dredge up knowledge from many years ago now. I used to do CO tests for British Gas Reseach lab in a past life. IIRC the CO is only generated by incomplete combustion - that means not enough oxyen for all the fuel to be turned into CO2 and water. In very basic terms, cooler yellow smoky flames tend to produce CO whereas clean hot flames do not. That's why gas appliances are normally safe unless the air inlet is blocked or if there isn't enough ventilation in the room.

So any form of combustion heating or lighting can give off CO, but it shouldn't if used correctly:

Use the fuel it was designed for (Smoky flame = more CO). :nono:

Look after the lamp. If the glass is sooting up it may need some tlc. Check there aren't holes in the mantle.

Don't use it in an enclosed space where the oxygen can be used up. Especially don't go to sleep in an enclosed space with a paraffin lamp. I can't think of many tents which are so air tight that this applies, but I can imagine scenarios where a tent is part buried by snow where it might. I believe that the British Antarctic Survey use them in their tents but they do use CO monitors.

Z

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Vapalux lamps are brilliant PB. I have two and both work perfectly. This compares with my Tilley (dull orange glow) and even a Petromax (chugged so badly I gave it to Warthog1981 to see if he could have any joy). I bought a soft case for mine off Ebay

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE