Vango Ultralight 200 ...tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thats a shame Beefy, Vangos reputation preceeds them mostly. Single skins do have issues with moisture build up and dependant upon local condtions I reckon it could get quite wet.

You could maybe sell it of see if somone wants a swap or something.

I know how annoying it is when something does not quite cut the mustard as you thought it would do though.

Andy

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I have had issues with Vango when I returned a tent that was so badly made it was not fit for use. I then had to chase Vango for 6 months to send the replacement they promised within a week.

Neither the tents or the company are what they used to be.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
bugger! i was contemplating buying a vango banshee 200 as the one i saw in my local camping shop seemed a cracking tent.
does this mean their quality control has gone a bit pete tong as of late?

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
IMHO Ultra-s**** (love that) is about right for Vango's modern products. They copy designs of excellent tents (eg Hilleberg), give them excellent showroom appeal but then manufacture them down to a budget with real design flaws (poor venting, poles that bend in light wind and wrong guying point placement. Some people are very happy with theirs but I wasn't and I sold it and bought a proper tent ! Also their customer service is non-existent. They just couldn't care less.

Unfortunately the grand old Vango brand has been bought up and no longer stands for quality and service.

To be fair, some people are very happy with theirs

NS

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Yeah i agree the vango stuff now is crap ,:dunno::dunno: the tent's r getting cheaper awe the time , and they are'nt the same quality as the old :(:(force ten's... vango used to be a name not any more ...:confused::confused:

Dirk Diggler

Jan 19, 2009
Stockport
bugger! i was contemplating buying a vango banshee 200 as the one i saw in my local camping shop seemed a cracking tent.
does this mean their quality control has gone a bit pete tong as of late?

I bought the Banshee 200 over 12 months ago and am very pleased with it, it does have an inner and the ventilation is very good, i have used it in all conditions bar snow, i used it 2 weeks back on a particularly wet night in the lakes and had no issues with leakage or condensation, am i just lucky ?
Maybe this is just a problem with the ultralight.

Dynamite_1303

Feb 25, 2009
North Yorkshire
Have had a Vango Banshee 200 for a few years and have never faulted it. Relatively Lightweight (easy enough to carry on a 15 mile mountain stretch if you want a little more comfort than a bivi bag), easy to pitch and have had it through all weather (including snow). Built like a brick-beg-your-pardon, but can't say anything for more recent vangos. Was contemplating on getting a larger one with a built-in bathroom, attic etc to keep the other half happy!

rcastillo

Jul 10, 2009
London
I've got an Ultralite 200 and I bought it eyes-open. There's always going to be a compromise; size, weight, dryness, cost, weather protection. Vango could have used Gore-Tex but it would about 2.5 times the weight. They could have given it a flysheet but that would have pretty much doubled the weight AND the size.

It's smaller than my Hennessy hammock, stores my kit (I don't consider this tent 2 man!) and there's room to dress.

Overall I think it's an acceptable balance and I accept it as it is. :)

TyroTarper

Jul 17, 2007
Loughborough
I have a Force Ten Race tent - single skin, detachable groundsheet, weighs under 1kg. Never had an issue with condensation or rain ingress. If only it wasn't orange it would be perfect!

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
This isnt the review of a poor tent, its a poor review of very poor operator error.
You highlight all the vents etc,but look where you pitched it,tight up to a hedge and in a small garden! the vents are for air flow and what sort of air flow have you got in the pitch you had?.What people dont understand as well is that the UK is a humid country and you will ALWAYS get condensation problems if you use single skin tents (double skin tents get condensation but the inner keeps it away from you) If you want to do a proper review of your tent, instead of doing it in your garden go out onto the hill and try it there.

I have alot of tents from the hike lite to Hilleberg and have found Vango to be much better than alot of peoples veiw and alot of them dont even own them!.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi boiledbeef i have the vango vapour 100 & is similar in design too this ultralite but has no vent at one end..i bought it last year and havent used it..from your review it dosent look too good i will try it out soon...cheers shogun

this the vango tent i have...force ten vapour

vapour100_MED.jpg

Last edited:

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
You started the flaming by posting your Youtube views,all I have done is point out your operator error.
How can you make valid opinion's based on a single night in your back garden?
Now if you had been out on the hill and you had the same or simular probs then it might hold water,but this is simply not the case,your review IMO is absolutly worthless and should be removed.

And about slandering you in public?What have you done with your review on the tent?

It is simply your lack of experiance that is at fault, not the tents.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
On Vango tents:

I have two Vango tents. One is an old Hydra 200 - heavy but bombproof. The other is a newer Spirit 200+ There is a noticeable quality difference between the two tents, with the Spirit being much shoddier.

The Hydra worked great from day one.

On the Spirit, the guylines were too slick for the line tensioners, and wouldn't hold tension. They got fuzzy very easily. I swapped them out for better quality lines and tensioners. The clips holding the inner to the outer are very weak, and I've replaced most of them with simple cord loops. I now have a serviceable tent. I sent Vango an email outlining all the problems with the tent and got back an email that was polite enough but didn't offer any remedy. In fairness, when the next years models were released, all those issues were addressed, but I was still stuck with my bodge-job of a tent.

On the other hand, I agree that single-skin tents will always be problematic in these islands. And smaller tents are more prone to condensation too. I also have a Hilleberg Akto, which is an awesome lightweight tent, but has occasional condensation problems. When this happens I just light my candle lantern - the tent dries up in 20 minutes or so.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Relax guys, it's just a tent, once you've said something you don't need to repeat it. It's a review based on someone's opinion, it's just like any review, you judge it how you want. It must be noted though that posting up a review is asking for comments both good and bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE