Vango force 10 cheap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

I got mine, scrubbed both sides of the groundsheet/inner with bleach and fairy.
Then put both the outer and the inner through the washing machine on the hottest setting.

Isn't the groundsheet sewn in, or did you put it through the wash as well?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Groundsheet is sewn in. Yes. Was filthy though, so scrubbed the thing, then shoved it through the washing machine. Its quite a heavy duty bathtub floor. The only thing missing on mine is one of the black plastic feet from the end of one pole. It had two small holes in the groundsheet. Patched up. Outer a bit faded.

N

Nomad

Groundsheet is sewn in. Yes. Was filthy though, so scrubbed the thing, then shoved it through the washing machine. Its quite a heavy duty bathtub floor. The only thing missing on mine is one of the black plastic feet from the end of one pole. It had two small holes in the groundsheet. Patched up. Outer a bit faded.

Alrighty. What was the wash temperature? Did both bits fit in the machine? (I've never washed a tent before.) Dried naturally or in a tumble dryer?

I won't see mine for a week or so yet. If I decide to keep it (and I may well do if it's decent quality, especially if they're giving 10 quid refunds), I might look into dying the outer green. If it's a bit smaller than a Force 10 Mk4, I can live with that - was just looking for decent space for one person in a tent for car camping.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Alrighty. What was the wash temperature? Did both bits fit in the machine? (I've never washed a tent before.) Dried naturally or in a tumble dryer?

I won't see mine for a week or so yet. If I decide to keep it (and I may well do if it's decent quality, especially if they're giving 10 quid refunds), I might look into dying the outer green. If it's a bit smaller than a Force 10 Mk4, I can live with that - was just looking for decent space for one person in a tent for car camping.

I think it would probably dye very well, with just a couple of packs of Dylon. [Although dont take my word for it!] And I may do that myself. The inner is seperate from the outer, and I put both in the washing machine seperately. Hung to dry in front of a radiator. It'd be perfect for one person car camping.
I could get my foldup bed in it if I wanted......[just!]

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Quality is good, my major quibble is that I paid for a 3-man tent and received a 2-man tent.

Trev.

Size wise is it like a Mk3? Vango were a bit misleading; the Mk3 is 2 man, Mk4 three man and Mk5 five is four man so perhaps the seller was a tad confused describing them as three man?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The Inner measurements are:

Length 198cm
Height 138cm
Width 220cm
Ive not had it up yet, only put the poles together, to measure it.

It'd take a green dylon dye quite easily I think, but having had a Tentipi, there is a lot to be said for spending time with the the light coming through in a 'warm coloured' tent.

I think im gonna Pre dye it to remove the colour, then have a go ay dying it pebble beige, very much like the tentipi, and let you know how it turns out:

The orange isnt bad. It's just pretty faded.

Last edited:

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Size wise is it like a Mk3? Vango were a bit misleading; the Mk3 is 2 man, Mk4 three man and Mk5 five is four man so perhaps the seller was a tad confused describing them as three man?

Not had it up yet but you make a good point about the seller confusing mk3 for 3-man, confused me too so no bad feeling there. Tent weighs in the same as a mk3 so assume it'll be a similar size. If so it's on the big side of 2-man tents.All in all still a very good buy.

Trev.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think you've all done well and grabbed a tent that will serve you better than a tarp when the weather goes breasts up on you.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It'd take a green dylon dye quite easily I think, but having had a Tentipi, there is a lot to be said for spending time with the the light coming through in a 'warm coloured' tent.

I think im gonna Pre dye it to remove the colour, then have a go ay dying it pebble beige, very much like the tentipi, and let you know how it turns out:

Yeh............dont bother trying to use dylon dye on it............:bluThinki

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
IMG_20130118_135458_131.jpgIMG_20130118_135441_737.jpg

Could have gone better............:yikes:.:banghead::tapedshut:bluThinki:(

Never to be deterred, Plan B will involve boiling x2 packs of brown i-dye in a metal dustbin, with a primus.......fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
N

Nomad

Just got back from a business trip and given mine the once-over, although not inspected every inch yet. Overall, seems to be in good condition, a bit grubby but not too bad at all, and smells of cotton tent rather than something nasty. All zips are nice and smooth, and the rubbers and other fittings look fine. Poles are all present and correct and have a bag in good condition, although one of the apex pieces is slightly misshapen. Doesn't look like damage (the vertical pin and the loop for hanging the inner are at an angle rather than vertical, but the welds look okay), so I suspect it was made wonky. The little bag for the apex pieces has seen better days -stitching has gone along the bottom, and some of it looks a bit rotty. I'll probably make a new one. There seem to be loads of pegs, several of which look more like corkscrews, so I might replace those. Peg bag is fine, as is the main bag for the tent.

Unless I find something during a more detailed inspection that renders the tent unusable and/or is too much hassle to repair, I think I'll be accepting the offer of 10 quid back for it not being a Vango. The sewn-on label says it's a Conquest Medina MkII, incidentally.

Oh - there is one guyline in the apex piece bag. Should there be more?

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE