Vango Banshee vs Coleman Cobra??

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Good evening folks!,

I was hoping one of you could help me. I'm in the market for a tent to use when hiking and i've narrowed it down to these two. I orginally looked at the Gelert solo,especially with its very attractive price, however i dont like the fact the inner is pitched first, all mesh, and isn't realistically big enough to have you and all your kit in there. Therefore, i've finally bit the bullet and accepted im going to have to just pay that little bit extra.

So out of these two which would you suggest and why? I know the banshee is slightly more expensive but is that just because of the brand, and the fact its green or does it genuinely do things the cobra doesn't.

I know they are pretty much the same tent, so price wise im drawn to the cobra (80 quid as opposed to the 100 for the banshee) but just double checking there isn't something im missing withthat extra 20 quid.

Even with all the research ive done i might have missed a cracking tent somewhere so if you know of any let me know! i dont like tunnel tents and much prefer this shape so anything you can suggest would be great.

Thanks
Jordan

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I went with the Vango after similar research, its is DofE suggested kit helps, I think the coleman has only one door, but the 2014 Banshee opens on both sides.

If you have the time get to a shop and check them both out, I had seen mine put up, climbed in it (after work in work clothes) and seen it packed down again. Makes me a lot happier to see it up close, I also prefer buying it from a store are happy to spend the time to show me such things.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Has to be the Banshee for me. Great little tent, but little is the word, don't expect too much stretching space!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Neither. Get a luxe sil-minipeak. It may be £50 more but its its also much lighter, packs down smaller and has much more space and you can sit up in it and brew up or cook inside if you have bad weather.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Coleman Cobra....

I have the 2 and the 3. I can't compare with the Vango as I've never used one but...

The cobra goes up outer first or both together. The inner is mesh. The Cobra 2 has one door the 3 has two doors. Both are sturdy in the wind with good ventilation. At 5'6'' I can't sit up in the 2 without touching the inner. I can in the 3. Poles are aluminum.

Hydrostatic head is 3000mm. The Vango is 5000mm. That said I've never had the rain coming in even in some pretty sustained heavy rain. Groundsheet...I don't remember the hydrostatic rating but it's important to have a dry layer between the groundsheet and wet ground. I use a piece of cheapo economy tarp cut to fit as a so called 'foot print'. Pitching the tent on soaking wet ground without it causes serious condensation on the floor and every where else. The tarp also helps prevent tearing or puncturing the groundsheet. These modern material tents are pretty thin and fragile.

My peeing down with rain set up is...Outer up first, tarp down inside so it's kept dry. outer up on the dry tarp.

As for size... Well I go every where on the bike so in winter the 1 is pretty chocka with just me and my kit plus bike gear, leathers, helmet etc. The 3 will take two people with bike gear and camping gear.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have the vango banshee 200 and have had no issues with it, I have not and would never use it as a two man tent as it would be too snug for my liking. I use it quite often with out the inner and a bivvy bag for extra space. The tent has stood up really well to wind and has never leaked on me. I got mine from go outdoors on a price match thing they do. And for the price I think its it a great tent.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
5000mm is essential. Although the Banshee is a put up for the night, move on the next day tent. It's not designed for living in as a base. It's a lightweight backpacking or bike tent.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE