On Being made Homeless

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
(Right area? I dont know)

And of course now you are going to say that I have a home, -what with relatives, several, in fact.

But...They are 500 miles from my job.

So I need something in West Perthshire.

I have already applied to the council.

What do I do? I have until the end of the month.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I know you say you have until the end of the month, and not wanting to pry too much but-

The council here (wales) will only offer a house if you have been evicted by a bailiff. End of tenancy, landlord then has to go to court to get an eviction and physically turf you out, otherwise they say you've made yourself homeless by leaving at the end of the agreement. I have a friend who rents a property and had to go down the courts route otherwise the local council wouldn't help the tenant.

If that doesn't apply to you the other option would be Citizens advice, rent a room, hostel or homeless project Scotland (24hr I believe)

emergency social care service: 0300 343 1505.
emergency homelessness services: 0800 838 502

Sorry to hear about your issue and wishing you the best

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
I gather Shelter are the folks to go to for any housing problems. Not just for emergency bed for the night help, but anything and everything.

Hoping you get sorted, Tengu.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I’m not sure about Scotland but English councils won’t consider you homeless unles you have absolutely nowhere.
Their first suggestion is to stay with family or friends. Emergency accommodation can be anywhere.

Depending on your circumstances would a flat/house share work?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi Tengu,
Where have you been living up to now? What has your agreement been with the owner or managers of where you have been staying?

I am afraid I didn’t keep up to date on what you did with your home that you were in before diving into the Scottish Iron Age.

Personally I am doubtful that you will make headway with councils to give you somewhere to live. The problem of people being able to find places to live, local to their work, is practically universal. I would expect the onus will be on you to find something. If you were a nurse or other key public sector worker who they wanted in a place, maybe they would help, but I don’t see much reason for a council to help out someone who has travelled to their area for work. :( not when there are bound to be a list of people with stronger ties to the area also in need.

I have been in a similar situation only the once, 23 years ago for first job. Started with a week in a hostel, not nice, then spent three months renting a room in a country home, very odd and not a good fit. No kitchen access. Finally found a chap at work in similar boat who would share and found a house we could rent together. Found all listings in local papers. These days people probably use Facebook or some such social media.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Think this needs far more detail as above
Where have you been living for the last 6 months a your main residence?
How has that been paid for?
Has a reason been given why you need to move out?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Most of us have been through this scenario when we took up jobs away from home. I lived in a tent (rough camping), then on the floor of my mates place (he found digs before me), then in a room with shared kitchen in an old estate house, then in a small, shared, rented house.

The usual process was (before internet) searching the papers for adverts and placing 'accommodation wanted' small adds in the papers (often free). I never used any 'organisation' to find me digs; I always searched myself. Also, ask around - you've built up a contact list up there now whereas most people know no one when they first move for a job. The management team should also see it as part of their responsibility to help find accommodation IMO.

Good luck.

Reactions: gibson 175

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
HelpX is a useful organisation helping individuals exchange some basic labour for basic digs/accommodation.

Maybe worth having a look in your area and seeing if a deal can be done depending upon your motivation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE