Vango Banshee 200

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Some thoughts here: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/vango-banshee-200/35411.html and a search on OM brings up more. Seems a decent tent, but when I looked a two man tent for myself (because 1 man tents are tiny), I went for the Zephyros 2. Its was a little bit more expensive, but was 1.79kg. The Banshee is 2.25kg, and I really dont want to carry more weight.

Millets are having one of their 10% sale things, so its down to £91 on their site http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/101122-vango-banshee-200-mid-tent-green.html , with the Tempest down to £105. Millets/Blacks will do a click and collect to the nearest store, so basically free delivery ish.

Getting a decent and lightish tent for less than a ton is always going to be tough. You just have to decide what you really want, and perhaps sniff out the best deal. A quick look on the net did bring up the fact that Nearly New Tents on Ebay is the outlet part of Vango/Force 10, so worth a look, although its all a bit of a mix. They do have some Trangia 25's bidding at about £12 at the moment, so certainly worth a look!

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I went for a Banshee 200 for my 8 week trek across Spain last year. I bought it as it's not that much money.

It served it's purpose very well and was fine for me though is a squeeze for two. I used it for 6 out of the 8 week trip. Construction is fine and putting it up is less than 5 minutes! A couple of nights were very stormy and it stood up to the wind and rain well.

f34db20823262d905872c42ac0904c15_zps10d8b266.jpg

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Had one for as few years now and it's served well. Only drawback I've found is lack of porch for cooking in bad weather

Andy

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Thanks for the info and the links guys, I knew I could count on some sound advice on here. I don't mind spending a bit more to get the right tent, there is just such a massive selection out there i didn't know where to start. I'm liking the look of the Hexpeak and the Minipeak, that style of tent is one that i haven't really thought about, It says that the pole is not included, does that mean that any type of walking pole can be used? I also like the fact that they have a large porch area which the Banshee doesn't, Thanks ADz for that suggestion i will be looking into those 2.
It will only be used for myself not 2 people, its just that standard 1 man backpacking tents that i have been looking at look tiny and awkward to get in and out of.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
too small for two and no real porch.

But I love mine, used it several times, though not in bad conditions...yet.

If I had the money I would get something better, but, hey, I dont.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
its just that standard 1 man backpacking tents that i have been looking at look tiny and awkward to get in and out of

Yep! Thats why I went for a 2 man tent - 1 man tents are OK if you dont actually move or have any kit.

there is just such a massive selection out there i didn't know where to start

There's lots of choice out there, which can be a problem. Have a look over on OM for advice about tents, I'm sure that this kind of question has been asked before! And get yourself a copy of the Cotswold catalogue - its free with their Explorer card, which gets you 10% off your first purchase, etc. Its blatently a data grabbing exercise, but thats the way it goes.

That way, you can see whats in the market, and whats important to you - cost v weight v quality v features. There is a whole thing about inner V outer first (just look at the tread on Alpkits version of the Golite tents..), and porches, etc. However, 'buy cheap, buy twice' is great advice, and its worth looking at them carefully bcause you'll want to use them long term. There are loads of reviews and comments about tents - and a lot of them will cancel each other out! You can only go on what the general drift is, but its your tent, not anybody elses.

As I said, I went for a tent which got good reviews, was within my budget and wasn't too heavy. However, the most important thing I did was to try one out (at a Cotswold tent event). You can look at the diagrams, etc, but its not the same as actually sitting inside one, and checking it for size, shape, the porch, etc. Perhaps see if a store has one assembled, or see if you can borrow one, just tyo see if it suits. Its a lot of cash to spend on something that might not be right for you.

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Thanks Old Bones, I really do appreciate your advice, I'm in no massive rush to buy and if I'm paying £100-150 I'd like to get it right so I think a lot more research on my part is required and visiting some stores and events too will help.
To start with I was set on the Vango but you guys seem to have thrown a spanner in the works and made me realise that there are a lot more options that I need to look at first, I didn't really think about the lack of porch space, especially in bad weather.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
if I'm paying £100-150 I'd like to get it right]

Thats how I saw my choice as well - I've been needed a decent tent for years, and money is tight, so its something you have to think about. The Vango seems a perfectly fine tent, if thats what you want, and getting it at a good price is even better. However, there is always a tradeoff, and its up to you to decide what you want. You've had 4 or 5 other suggestions on this one thread, and its not going to get easier!

Best thing to do is to have a look at whats out there, what your budget realistically is, and what you want to use it for. If your going to basically car camp, then something big, relatively cheap and sturdy is fine. If your thinking of wild camping/walking/etc, then weights far more of an issue. The maxim is you can have it cheap. you can have it light and you can have it effective/durable - pick any two. Thats doesn't mean you can't get a real bargain (The Tiger Paw tent from Argos had a big fan club a couple of years back, and its was about £50), but its best to think what works for you. And getting inside a tent, even in a show room, can really help.

You have a big advantage - time. You can gather data, listen to others, and you can keep an eye out for real bargains. Ebay outlets, the Bargains thread on OM/classifed sales and flash sales from Cotswold, etc can all help you to buy better than you would normally be able to afford. You might get something decent 2nd hand, from someone who trading up or going lighter (in which case, buy Kristin Hostetter's Dont Forget the Duct Tape or the newer Complete Guide - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Backpacker-...IES_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424388680&sr=1-3 - £3.75 plus postage is excellent value - and might have you a lot of money).

One you know the field, its much easier to get whats right for you, and at a good price. Good luck.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Can't go far wrong with the zephyros 1 or 2 depending what you are after, used mine with no problems other than the tent stakes need an up grade, they are to flimsy.

Last edited:
May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
Can't go far wrong with the zephyros 1 or 2 depending what you are after, used mine with no problems other than the tent stakes need an up grade to flimsy.

That looks a bit like the Banshee in shape, I think i'm leaning more towards the Sil Minipeak now after spending last night looking through reviews and youtube vids, they look like they will suit my needs and amazingly quick to set up.

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I've used a banshee 200 for years and it served me very well. The porch is really only big enough for a small bag and your boots but I used to just sleep next to my guitar and rucksack. It's really a 1 man tent, extremely cozy for 2 and you would need a small tarp to cover your rucksacks outside of the tent at night if you did take someone with you.

I think I bought mine in 2008, you pitched the inner first which was great on warm buggy nights, looking up at the stars insect free. My ex bought a newer model.. possibly 2012 and the outer was pitched first which had its merits on a wet day but never seemed as versatile to me. I don't know which way round they have the pitching these days.

A word of warning though, my ex's poles after 2 years started showing hair-line cracks and one eventually shattered, we managed to rig it with some string and a stick but was difficult to get a taught pitch. One of my poles also broke but that was because someone fell on the tent at a festival, I bodged a repair with a piece of tubing cut from an old golf club and some gaffa tape.... 2 years later an the repair is still holding strong :D I don't know if she got some dodgy poles or if something changed with the manufacturing, which I suppose is likely given the 4 years gap between models.

As much as I enjoyed my Banshee I'm leaning towards either tarp and bivvy or hammock to experience life outside of tents this year :)

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
I have the 2014 Banshee, was lucky to get it at the same price as the 2013 as it has a couple of handy mods. Its a fine tent, OK for money, weight and all the rest. You can pay more and get more, but that is the way of the world. The fact that it is DofE suggested kit kinda backs this up. I use mine for just myself and could at a push fit one of the kids in.
As part of buying the tent the staff in Cotswold put it up for me, I have also seen them setup in go outdoors and another one of the outdoors stores I use, going to see one and climbing in, is always a good way to pick a tent.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Bought a few for school camp and D of E, they are a good tent for the money but I would always ask if its worth saving a bit more ang spending a bit more, the gain in quality for say another fifty pounds will probably seem like a good deal five yeras down the line.

Pockets

Jun 19, 2014
United Kingdom
Not had any experience with the Banshee but the Vango Blade is a decent solo tent. Not much in the way of porch space but light enough and roomy enough for one.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
We've been buying a load of pre-vango force 10s. Very good and orange they are too. £50 each from eBay 2nd hand. Kids love them

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE