Value for Money Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I'm a bit mad when it comes to stoves and fire related stuff, and would like to take the opportunity to gain a bit of an insight into what you believe to be the best value for money commercially avalible stoves, and also what stoves you believe you should stay well away from.

Just to start off, I would recommend (In no particular order):

*The Jetboil Personal Cooking System ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uxtYZQAiRA )

*The Kelly Kettle ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFDDVPkx8AY )

*The Bush Cooker ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBWLlgJD2Ec )

*The Trail Stove ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkQ0-Qa_RlA )

I would stay away from:

*The Wood-gas stove ( http://www.woodgas-stove.com/ ) or any other electronically powered stove

Disclaimer: None of these videos or websites are by me or belong to me and I am not responsible for any of the content, and the list - with the opinions expressed are solely my own.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
For a fast brew I like using the Jetboil system - that is always in my car

Nowadays, when I have the time, I prefer to slow the pace down and either use my hobo stove or an open fire.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The best value stove for me would probably be a wood burner of some sort. After the initial outlay on the stove there are no more fuel costs to incur.

I've got a kelly kettle which is the mutts nuts for doing what it supposed to do i.e boil water. I've got a new Honey stove which is essentially the same as Waylands inspired Hobbo stove but which packs down flat.

For speed and efficiency I've heard the Woodgas stoves are hard to beat although I've never tried one myself.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The Israeli Pocket Cooker is pretty good value, especially as you can often pick up seconds cheap on eBay. It's also a lot more portable than a lot of other wood stoves.

ManOtheWoods

Jan 25, 2008
Winchester
I have also heard that the honey stove is very good its almost like a hexagonal version of one of the collapsable stoves discussed on here, I here it is also good value for money.

In addition to a multitude of other stoves (trangia, gas, hobo etc) I think its worthwhile pitching in with my MSR XKG II.

This is a bombproof, multifuel stove that will burn almost any liquid, and is easily maintained in the field.

And as it will burn almost anything it means you could use it anywhere in the world (even land / sea) - wherever you can get your hands on some type of fuel.

I know its not the cheapest, but then tbh neither is the jetboil / kelly kettle in comparison to some.

I guess it depends on your definition of ' best value', I value it for its performance, its adaptability, and its ease of use / maintainability in the field.

That said, I use my hobo set-up as often as I can, as I enjoy the slower pace and atmosphere associated with a wood fire.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I define value-for-money as very effective for the price, for example The Bush Cooker/Bush Buddy is a very expensive stove but is extremely effective and wouldn't mind paying that price again if my current one got damaged.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Gotta say the Brunton Raptor. If you are solo and not into below zero F camping.Their customer service is second to none.
Most of the plces I go have a no open fire no ember policy so wood burners are out unless at an approved camping site with metal fire grates. A lot of folks complain about hauling canisters but two don't weigh any more than a pint or so of meths.
Jon R.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't think we should include wood burners because they are not multi fuel so in terms of 'value' loose out (although there are some super ones out there)

The MSR XKG II is a grand stove, very reliable but looses out IMHO to the Primus Omnifuel which burns all your liquid fuels plus standard gas canisters; it also simmers better. The Optimus Nova range come a close second because of build quality but won't burn gas.

If you want a fast gas stove, pick up a cheap stove for a fiver off eBay and use a Primus ETA pot with it, very fast indeed and cheaper than a Jetboil.

A second hand Optimus 111T will burn liquid fuels including alcohol and you can pick a good one up for about £50

Best value and performance for me is a Nova or Omnifuel mounted in a proper Trangia, burns all your fuels and you can use the pots over a fire. Not cheap, but just about the best winter stove combo going, you have the best of all worlds:)

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
I do rate the Honey stove though as a multi-fuel number - got one in the recent group buy. Folds down absolutely flat, and I've tried it with twigs and a Whitebox meths stove - works brilliantly. You can also use esbit tablets, hexi blocks, a Trangia and practically any other type of meths stove - I think you can even use gas in it as well. Set it up as a little open fire, put grills on it for meats/ fish and finally even use it as a windbreak for any other stove. I think it's fantastic value for money when you consider all of the different ways that it can be used.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
i just ordered a brunton flex stove, so i'll give you a note about how it performs once ive used it. I didnt like the optimus crux as it seemed a bit lacking in pan support, but i loved the idea of a stove that'll fit under a gas canister.

I looked into the jetboil too, but ive heard they dont do simmer very well, and are a bit bulky once you've taken into account the pot etc. I bought a brunton IB cookset to go with the flex (a gas can fits in the pot set perfectly, looks neat and tidy...... i like neat and tidy :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I don't think we should include wood burners because they are not multi fuel so in terms of 'value' loose out (although there are some super ones out there)

I dunno, man - having free fuel available on-site stacks up pretty well on the "value" side for me.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Just out of interest, why does it have to be a 'commercially available stove'?
Any reason why it can't be a home-made one?
I made myself a hobo stove (who didn't?) and really liked them. But I was always a bit disappointed with the space they took up (yes, I know you can store things inside them - but I found the inside got really sooty, and that soot transfered onto the things inside, which got onto hands, onto everything).
Anyway.
So I looked into flat-pack stoves. There are loads commercially available, but at a cost. Then I discovered the Nimblewill stove. You can download the plans for free and make your own! It works exactly the same way as a hobo stove/honey stove, but has the advantages that you can make whatever alterations you like (I added about 1" all round) and it packs flat! Love it.
You can get plans for it here:
http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE