Value for Money Stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
It's not a strict rule, just that homemade stoves are the top of value-for-money so there wouldn't be much said about other stoves - but please - feel free to add any comments about any stoves you feel like.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
My best value for money stove has got to be my Ghillie kettle.
I bought it in a group buy from sandbag47 a few months ago, I paid 30 something pounds for it including the cookset that goes with it, since then I have used it for about 20-25 days, I have cooked 3 meals each day on it for either myself and sometimes 3 of us in all sorts of weather and all the hot water we needed for washing and cleaning up, so it is slower than some other stoves but do you need food or hot water that quickly that 3-4 minutes make a big difference, it is completly eco friendly and so far the running costs have been £0-00.
Now that is good value for money and at night it is a real light show.
However if you need to pack small forget the big one!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you like stoves, join spiritburner.com !

I have been there a few times, very good site;)

Hobo stoves for me means wood, no good up open moors/Snowdonia etc, restricting your options. The meths burners can work OK, but not great. I like wood fires, now have two folding fire grills, but I love good pukka stoves as well. Yes you can mount stoves in a Honey stove, I did when I had the Mk1 for review, but then its a compromise, not a great match as it is with the real Trangia setup.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Coleman F1 Lite.

Pros:
Lighter than a Pocket Rocket.
As efficient as a Pocket Rocket.
Cheaper than a Pocket Rocket.
At least as well made as a Pocket Rocket.

Cons:
Not as fashionable as a Pocket Rocket.

Jim

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Sirex
Let me know how that Brunton Flex works. I wanted one as I like the wider flame head on it. But it was a special order job and I needed a small canister stove right away. So hence the Raptor.
Jon R.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
Sirex
Let me know how that Brunton Flex works. I wanted one as I like the wider flame head on it. But it was a special order job and I needed a small canister stove right away. So hence the Raptor.
Jon R.

ok, i was asked and it turned up today, so here's my quick notes on it having used it for a bit.

Size:
I really like the fact it slots under a gas can, much like the optimus crux, but as i posted earlier, that one didnt have much in the way of pan support, so i went for the flex. It is very small indeed, but once its put together the thing is fairly solid, you dont feel like its going to wobble where the neck collar is on it.

Pan support:
Pretty good. I also got a brunton IB cookset to replace some noname stainless mess tins, and i'm glad i did as the pan supports on the flex fit it perfectly. The new cookset is round which makes it a little less stable than a square/rectangle pan, and i would have to be a bit careful while using it, but given that this is a stove designed to be fairly high off the ground being on top of the canister, i'd have to be a bit careful anyway. Also, the pan supports would fall short on a mess tin or bigger pot, but given the size of the thing packed up, its understandable. My old cooker had better support footprint, but that thing is *heavy*.

Value:
Well, originally its very good value. However, i got screwed by customs and postage charges and it ended up costing me quite alot. However the main contender was the jetboil and i feel its worth the extra over it as it has very nice simmer.

Heat:
The thing *chucks* out heat. It really does. I dont think it'd be an exaggeration to say it puts out more heat than our kitchen gas hob. On full whack it really does crank it out. In tests i believe it boils only slightly slower than the jetboil system.

Weight:
Its very light, in my opinion. The stove im replacing however is a really cheap £3 lump of metal.... the type that have a little auto-light clicker switch on the side.

like this one: http://www.iosss.com/shopping/images/sg1057-s.jpg and its *really* heavy :) I think the flex is 3.4oz, which is plenty light for me. The cookset, stove, spork, and gas is about 2-3 times as light as the old metal mess tins, stove, KFS set and gas that they replace, so im happy :)

Robustness:
The pan supports feel a bit flimsey. I dont mean this in a "wobble wobble" way, but due to the ease that they slip open they feel a bit brittle. Once i'd used the thing though i realised that this first impression was incorrect, and actually their quite strong and well built, and even after heating they flip closed again fine.

Notes:
- In the youtube link im going to post below, the guy seems to have really stiff pan supports to fold out, mine arnt like that at all, and they fold out easy as pie.

- I think i'd be ok stuffing it into my bag directly without the IB cookset to protect it, as once its tucked away its pretty robust.

- The IB cookset is great by the way, if you get the flex, id recommend it alot, as they fit together really well (as shown in the youtube clip).

Overall, im very impressed. I've yet to use it anger, but im sure it was worth the money, particually if you can get it without being ripped off by customs and postage ! One thing that might be of note to you bushy types, is i dont get the impression that it'll lend itsself well to being bodged should it break or need repair, but i think this is goes for all hiking aimed gear over rugged bushcraft gear. Treat it well and it'll love you back.

If you have any questions, give me a shout :)

as promised, link to youtube: This guy does a pretty good review, and now i have both items i can confirm he's pretty spot on with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q92VJdgK3A0

edit: the guy on youtube isnt me, by the way :) - but thanks if your the guy that made the video and you get to read this :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Are we missing something here, chaps?

The phrase 'Value For Money' doesn't just mean 'cheap'. If it did, the coke can stove or any number of the wacky works of art people make in their sheds from old tin cans would be 'the best'.

However, I value functionality and reliability. I have a couple of gas stoves (inc a Jetboil and a teeny-weeny job). Neither have ever let me down at a wide range of altitudes and in very poor weather. I don't worry about having to find dry sticks or play about with meths and matches and the Jetboil works incredibly quickly and can be held safely in the hands while its working. As the pot and burner are integrated, the Jetboil doesn't take up much more space than a pot and meths burner. The teeny weeny gas stove is even smaller and lighter!

As I'm quite clever and can plan ahead, I ensure that I have enough gas for my trip and carry a lighter in case the piezo lighters break or disaster strikes and I have to light a fire.

Granted, there's not a lot to go wrong with a coke-can stove type thing, but often fuel is an issue (quantity and quality), and particularly speed if you want to heat more than a thimblefull of water.

So, in terms of value for money, I would propose that my Jetboil or mini gas stove kick a**e because they are reliable and work quickly! Yeah baby! :headbang:

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I use and love my JETBOIL.
Over time i have added to my setup so i now have the Jetboil frying pan and 1.5 litre pot. This means I can take a different set up depending on what I need.

Although i love cooking on an open flame if i have the time and I am in a set location consistantly.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
Sirex
Thanks for the heads up and review.
I have used the heck out of my Raptor already. But I'm thinking a Flex will be in the works
That shipping and duty is a never ending drain. If I see something good on a UK site I usually have my sister buy it then ship it to me over here.
Again thanks for the review.
Jon R.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE