usual axe question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Ok so this has probably been asked about a million and a half times before but this time it's slightly different I guess. So, I'm wanting to buy myself an axe. I'll be using it for some carving and splitting. I don't think I'll be chopping any trees down but I'll be splitting firewood. I got myself a crook knife and so I want to get started with axes and maybe eventually make a spoon or kuksa (how do you pronounce kuksa by the way?) too. The different part is that I'm buying a bunch of other stuff from woodlore so I figured I might as well get my axe from there too but the axe I had finally decided on was out of stock. I'm trying to decide between the gransfors wildlife hatchet and the small forest axe. The small forest axe was my first choice but then I read some posts where people seemed to prefer the wildlife and it sounded more like the tool for me but now it's out of stock. The question is: Should I just wait and buy the wildlife hatchet whenever it does get back in stock or should I just go ahead and get the small forest axe because it might be more useful or equally useful and I could get it right away? I was planning on ordering in three days and I still am so I'll either be getting the small forest axe with my order or ordering everything else and then buying the wildlife later which kinda sucks as I want to get started as soon as possible and I'll have to pay an extra shipping fee. Your thoughts please!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
A roselli all round axe does both jobs pretty well. It has a fat wedge profile, with no secondary or micro bevel. yet it is fine enough to carve spoon blanks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28752139@N08/3349548814/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28752139@N08/3349558604/
I was initially disapointed with this £60 axe BUT have since found it has grown on me a lot, I am more likely to reach for it than my other ones now. Its downside is the steel being a little on the soft side it doesnt hold up quite as well as the sandvik does, but it is designed for Finland where they mostly cut birch. I never owned or used a gransfors axe so cant comment on them. I guess in canada you would be using soft cedar/pine etc? Might be worth a look any way:)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I'm sure that people on here have imported axes from your part of the world before, someone might be able to save you a fortune on an imported gransfors axe if they chip in. Hudson bay axe, perhaps, someone?

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
mr dazzler said:
A roselli all round axe does both jobs pretty well. It has a fat wedge profile, with no secondary or micro bevel. yet it is fine enough to carve spoon blanks
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28752139@N08/3349548814/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28752139@N08/3349558604/
I was initially disapointed with this £60 axe BUT have since found it has grown on me a lot, I am more likely to reach for it than my other ones now. Its downside is the steel being a little on the soft side it doesnt hold up quite as well as the sandvik does, but it is designed for Finland where they mostly cut birch. I never owned or used a gransfors axe so cant comment on them. I guess in canada you would be using soft cedar/pine etc? Might be worth a look any way
Well if it's 60 pounds then I can't afford it. The Canadian dollar is about half of the british pound so that's a little out of my price range. As for which wood I'll be using, I think I'll use birch and willow for carving because I have access to some and I have some apple right now for firewood. I found a U.S. dealer of gransfors axes but they're more expensive than the ones on woodlore, so I'm sticking with woodlore as it'll just be easier and maybe cheaper to order everything from one place. OH and I just checked and the wildlife hatchet's back in stock so I think I'll stick with that because it'll be easier to carve with, carry and apparently I can split good sized logs with it if I use wedges, oh and it's cheaper too.

Thanks anyways guys for your input, sorry I didn't really use any of your advice...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE