Using unconventional tools/methods for carving spoons (videos)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk

Large 2 handed crook knife, blade is about 3" long, handle is over 2 foot long.

Large scorp (around 2 1/2" diameter) custom forged by Brian Russell of Little Newsham, Co Durham-one of the best blacksmiths in the UK

This spoon bowl was done in around 60 seconds. The wood is freshly felled copper beech

http://youtu.be/uO5TrV_6zHQ

http://youtu.be/ejYMBR4UXEo

2 good things I found about using these tools for this task-speed, and power. Far less tiring and time consuming than struggling with a mora or similar hook knife....

cheers Jonathan :)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Two great video's. I was surprised how effectively them tools work, I take it the two foot handle, gives alot more leverage. Still I can't see them replacing the classic size tools, bit too big to carry, although I think I want a set for my little workshop.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Two great video's. I was surprised how effectively them tools work, I take it the two foot handle, gives alot more leverage. Still I can't see them replacing the classic size tools, bit too big to carry, although I think I want a set for my little workshop.
Thanks for looking.
Yes there is tremendous leverage possible, but more importantly for me, much increased torque, as the knife handle is quite fat as well. Its real easy to get a powerfully controlled twisting motion that still removes material accurately and quickly, without undue straining on fingers and wrist joints. I am getting on in years and aches and pains seem to creep up on you...Being able to brace one hand to my shoulder really helps too. The chips from those scorp cuts were 3 to 4 mm thick.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Nice tools. I like the scorp. I imagine fixing the workpiece i a vice of some sort is a must with these tools though.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Yes, the piece of wood needs to be held firmly. I have a regular bench vise, and also experimented with a ratchet strap to hold a spoon to the chopping block. The ideal would be a shaving horse, or a "shaving pony" a smaller version that works like a shave horse with the facility of a quick release pedal, but is fitted inside a regular vice.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
That scorp looks very interesting, I have a feeling I'll be getting one made next year. :D

The long handled crook knife looks like a bottoming knife. Works well though.
:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for your replies.
I've had that scorp a long time, but really only discovered its value quite recently. Its got a convex bevell, which makes it easier to get smooth chatter free cuts on hollows.
I doubt Brian would be willing to use his time to make a scorp these days, he now does mostly BIG arcitectural work, large gates etc. I have seen a few decent scorps with long handles on ebay (France)
The hook knife was inspired by the carving tools used in the Pacific North West (Tlingit/Tsimshian etc)
It is real nice to use and can do other jobs apart from hollow spoons....heres a couple of old videos

This was very dry sycamore

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE