Using inner tubes for survival kit

I've been making phone cases from old bike and Land Rover inner tubes for a while but someone has just asked for one to use as pouch for a 'fire lighting kit' as a Christmas present for her son.
Can't believe I hadn't thought of it myself as it's ideal material tough, waterproof etc.
Anyway I said I'd put some bits in it to start him off for her, what should I put in? It's for a 10 year old and she has ordered him a firesteel to go in it.
e62b075f1f5ffbdf750dd0970c5ab2a9.jpg

Last edited:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Scrap tube, finely shredded is possible to light with a ferro rod.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The easiest things to get are also some of the best; fatwood, birchbark, honeysuckle and clematis fluffy bark, maybe a smaller container within the pouch containing petroleum jelly-soaked cotton wool, the latter being a great starter for youngsters as they get a good and immediate result and that way they maintain interest and carry on in a positive way.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Another good way of getting a fire going if its driech is to shred up a plastic sodapop bottle. But one of the mountain bike mags did a bit on survival for stranded bikers a few years back where the recommend using your spare innertube to get the fire going.
Good idea though recycling the landy tubes though.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very neat those pouches - great idea. Keep itsimple with the young man. Cotton wool and PJ, candle, cramp balls, birch bark. Include a disposable lighter and some inidividually wrapped firelighters too - I carry them!

91fd987c3612c20d1fe15c4e5fc9d16d.jpg

The Zips are sewn twice, once with right sides facing and then turned over and top stitched, then the three sides are sewn with right sides facing before turning out.
Just got a phone call a few minutes ago from a BBC production company about making my bags for their programme, I did want to be famous for some epic adventure but sewing handbags might do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think they are magnificent, and effective upcycling too.

How much are they?

Wouuld you be willing to do a trade?

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Great idea! Nicely executed too.

Not a bad claim to fame...and who knows what it could lead to. Congrats on the BBC proposition.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hey Neil,

I've pulled your post where you've offered things for sale, I believe that you've been contacted previously about this and told to talk to me if you had any questions about subscribing if you wish to sell stuff on Bushcraft UK, that's obviously been ignored and so I'll post here so that there is no misunderstanding.
Please do not offer to sell stuff on the forums or put in a link to your commercial ventures unless you subscribe like others have to.

I'm leaving this thread in place because the stuff is good, please don't abuse that decision.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Nice looking things, but yea you should follow the rules here - especially seeing's as you're getting free advice.

And on the subject of free advice - Don't trust TV people! - they will want you to do an awful lot for nothing and no return, and will stitch you up and reneage on any and everything. This is based on multiple experiences here at Boot Hall, not just one bad one.

Thanks all,
I added a few bits into the pouch for this customer such as birch bark, cut up inner tubes and a cramp ball and added some info about each.
Received this comment after Christmas.
".... loved his Ragsto survival firelighting kit. The notes on the contents were a great touch. Thanks Neil!"
Thanks for the suggestions (& I've also donated to the forum as a maker to avoid getting in trouble again!).
If anyone wants a pouch or bag made from inner tubes or has an old leather sofa, tent or even jacket that want a bag made from then let me know.

Handcrafted bags and kit upcycled from leather, canvas and even rubber at http://www.ragsto.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE