Using a tarp with a hammock stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Hi
A bit of a newbie question, so sorry about that.
I would love a hammock in my back garden, just to try before going a bit further a field, the problem is I have no way off hanging one, I did consider setting some posts in the garden, but then I came access the Dd hammock stand which I thought great, but the problem is how do I use a tarp with the stand?
I contacted DD Hammocks and they said you can't use a ridge line on the stand, so can I use walking poles?
And videos you could suggest to show me how to do this?
Thanks
Conrad

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Walking poles won't be long enough, and with the pegging out of both stand and something to run a tarp from, I'd seriously consider setting some posts deep into concrete in your lawn. The set up looks a right faff, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. Have you read the PDF about setup?

https://www.ddhammocks.com/images/p...ght_hammock_stand_Instructions-Aug-17_Web.pdf

If possible, you could run one end off a rawlbolt from your house to a fixed pole. At the previous place we lived, that's what we did.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Walking poles won't be long enough, and with the pegging out of both stand and something to run a tarp from, I'd seriously consider setting some posts deep into concrete in your lawn. The set up looks a right faff, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. Have you read the PDF about setup?

https://www.ddhammocks.com/images/p...ght_hammock_stand_Instructions-Aug-17_Web.pdf

If possible, you could run one end off a rawlbolt from your house to a fixed pole. At the previous place we lived, that's what we did.

Thanks for the advice, my first idea was to have about 3/4 posts put at the end of the garden for some hammocks for me and the kids, but I not too keen on setting wooden posts, I want something that'll last, wasn't too sure if concrete posts are the the best for a hammock, well the hammock slip down it?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for the advice, my first idea was to have about 3/4 posts put at the end of the garden for some hammocks for me and the kids, but I not too keen on setting wooden posts, I want something that'll last, wasn't too sure if concrete posts are the the best for a hammock, well the hammock slip down it?

Concrete posts are no different to thin trees, you just have to make sure the webbing you use on it grips well by perhaps wrapping around twice.

The other thing you have to consider is the forces being exerted the posts when you suspend a person between them. The higher up the suspension points the greater the leverage and more chance of pulling the posts over if they haven't been set deep enough. You could end up going down 3 ft or more in light soil.

The alternative to all the hassle of digging etc is to build yourself a hammock stand based on Seoras's design. That way you can move it around the garden and use a tarp on it.

I would have linked to the article on BCUK but couldn't find it with a quick search.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

I was thinking more of setting wooden posts in concrete rather than concrete posts, they'll look a lot nicer. You'd need to go fairly deep of course. To fix the hammock, you could either set some ring bolts through the wood, or use a prussic loop of rope and attach to that. Timber hitch would work too.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, have done fences/posts/styles like that too, particularly when in the middle of a field in nowhere.
Lie a flattish stone against the post, another against the side of the hole. And a drive a wedge shaped stone between them with a sledge. Then fill & compact.

Was thinking something like these http://www.earthanchor.com/duckbill/what-is-duckbill/ to keep the posts vertical when get in the hammock.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Duckbills are great earth anchors. I've anchored a 3 tonne Tirfor winch off a couple of them in the past when there wasn't a convenient tree.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
I'm really liking the look of the turtle dog stand, I'm not great at making stuff but it looks quite easy, I'm just unsure about what sort of metal pole I'm looking for? Where would I get it from?
Thanks
Conrad

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I used a fence top rail, which you can get from DIY stores over here. A bit like scaffold poles, maybe a bit lighter. Think aboutthe forces involved. The six tripod legs have your weight spread across th2em, pressing directly down (perpendicular) on them. SO they don't need to be all that thick I am using 1/2 inch diameter (1.2 cm) bamboo poloes. The top rail("ridge pole") haqs much greater forces. The hammock is tied to the rail, not the tripods. If yo use the approved 30 degree angle, the compression load on the rail is equal to about twice you weight. When you jiggle around to get comfortable, the compressive load can easily double, or even treble. Looking at some of the You Tube videos, some people are using what looks like 2" softwood dowel, so maybe a 3 metre length of 2x2 (sorry, wood over here is sold in feet and inches) (5x5 in cms) would be sfficient. Obviously, the fence rail/ scaffold pole will be quite a bit heavier, but yo are not going hiking with it.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've made a turtle dog stand out of some pipe from fences. Instead of hinging them I've just lashed the poles together using this knot...

tripod.jpg

My kids trampoline has given up the ghost so the poles which hold the netting up round the outside are going to become some new tripods, these break down into two sections each with swedged ends, they are still quite heavy but as they break down can be chucked into the car easier in case there are no trees.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I also thought that was a good idea. However, it buckled and collapsed to the ground as soon as I put my weight into the hammock. They are made of very thin walled tube Remember, it is not just for the tarp, The hammock (in a Turtle dog stand) hangs on the pole, not the tripods. The compression weight on the tube (or rod, dowel scaffold tube etc) is approximately twice your body weight.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I think sandbag was suggesting using the washing poles as a separate device purely to hang the tarp over and above the hammock / turtle dog stand [which will need to be fairly substantial - making it quite heavy / in-transportable]

The lightest I've thought of was broom handles, I did buy a pack of cheap broom handles and lashed together in a tripod does support my weight but they aren't long enough to for a sufficiently high tripod for a comfortable lay. - maybe better quality broom handle would cope with being sectioned and in conjunction with some sort of metal sleeve joint could make a packable turtle dog stand. - there is also the handy hammock for a portable hammock stand. _ But I digress as the OP is not looking for a portable solution.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Thanks yes that is what I meant :)

I think sandbag was suggesting using the washing poles as a separate device purely to hang the tarp over and above the hammock / turtle dog stand [which will need to be fairly substantial - making it quite heavy / in-transportable]

The lightest I've thought of was broom handles, I did buy a pack of cheap broom handles and lashed together in a tripod does support my weight but they aren't long enough to for a sufficiently high tripod for a comfortable lay. - maybe better quality broom handle would cope with being sectioned and in conjunction with some sort of metal sleeve joint could make a packable turtle dog stand. - there is also the handy hammock for a portable hammock stand. _ But I digress as the OP is not looking for a portable solution.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE