Using a Magnesium Firestarter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
These are differnet examples of how a magnesium firestarter can be used in your kit.

They can be carried in a small shoulder bag, a back pack, carriend in your pocket, even stone pouches on some knives will hold them.
PICTURE-01.jpg

Small ones like these handy little neck kits from Wildertools can be bought if you want to travel very light or have a back up for contengencies.
PICTURE-02.jpg

I split on in half and carry part of it and a Swedish firesteel in this knife pouch
PICTURE-03.jpg

While everyone tends to develope their own individual styles and techniques with pieces of kit this is what method works best for me here in this environment when starting a fire with a magnesium firestarter.

First I gather the smallest dryest tinder I can find, best to get it of the ground here as I live in a deciduous temporate rain forest.

PICTURE-04.jpg

Then I gather some larger twigs
PICTURE-05.jpg

Then I break up the smallest dryest part of the tinder and make pile ready to use
PICTURE-08.jpg

Then I gather a handful of the dryest leaves I can find, it there is a breeze you'll want to place a twig or something with a little wieght to it on the leaves as it won't do to be distracted chasing leaves during the rest of this.
PICTURE-10.jpg

Then turning my back to the wind or using a wind break if there is a breeze I use one of the cupped dry leaves as a "collection bowl" and start scraping off shavings holding the knife edge at roughly a 90 degree angle.
PICTURE-11.jpg

untill I get a good sized pile
PICTURE-12.jpg

Then I arrange the dry leaves on top of the magnesium pile with just the edge of the pile of shavings exposed and pile some tinder on top.
PICTURE-13.jpg

Then holding the magnesium bar at an angle as such that I am sighting along the line of the ferro rod at the shaving pile I hold my knife at roughly a 90 degree angle or a little less..., best if not more to the ferro rod press against the rod and push forward. The sparks are pretty bright so it's best if your hand and knife are between the sparks and your eyes at night you may wish to close your eyes or turn your head just like with a fire steel as it is the same material
PICTURE-19.jpg

The pile of shavings ignites the leaves
PICTURE-20.jpg

The leaves ignite the tinder
PICTURE-21.jpg

Add some of the larger twigs
PICTURE-22.jpg

Then you soon have a nice fire going.
PICTURE-23.jpg

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
NIce wee thread for beginners, I like the way you explained the setting out of tinder and fuel before starting the fire. I personally have not been successful in shaving off the magnesium from the block and just keep it at the bottom of my sack as a spare striker rod, incase I forget to take one with me. I now prefer the flint and steel having just got one, and use char cloth to get the tinder going. Thanks for your thread .

This thread was primarily for the benifit of people like johnboy who have questions about using a magnesium firestarter to use as a general guideline as to how to use one. I like having the option but I usualy just use a firesteel and some fatwood shavings because I prefer the natural materials.

If people are going to store magnesium shavings, before placing them in just any old container you should probably read up a little on magnesium power's sensitivities and reactions to moisture.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
If people are going to store magnesium shavings, before placing them in just any old container you should probably read up a little on magnesium power's sensitivities and reactions to moisture.

It's not that sensitive on it's own. Will give off hydrogen gas, but it's not going to be a lot. I remember coating it in linseed oil or potassium dichromate solution when I was using it alot in making pyrotechnics. Used to be fun stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE