Using a bill hook to carve with.....

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I left the axe indoors a while ago, and couldnt be bothered to fetch it, and there was only the billhook available in the outdoor carving shed, so I tried carving with it-and quite liked it! It gives a fiersome penetrating bite, but isnt as manouverable as the roselli axe I generally use, and can take thin full width shavings if necessary. I got to thinking maybe build a custom carver tool, something like a small goosewing/seax shape, with a thin slim blade, an extended point for reach and accessibilty....:confused:
any way here is a short video of it (suffolk pattern)
http://youtu.be/t320ZdSHEII
cheers Jonathan :)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I solely use a billhook to carve with and I also love, the extra weight is also very useful for quick wood removal..

But strangely enough I've ghad almost the exact same idea as you, a long narrow blade for manoeuvrability..if anyone had anything like that which they can report on maybe?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was making the start of a burnt out bowl, about 40cms long, from a split log of silver birch, and the billhook was to hand. It did a brilliant job of trimming the base and ends and starting off the inside cavity too.
The weight was all in the right place and the curved inner hook was perfect for shaping too.

Might not be it's primary purpose, but it's an incredibly useful tool is a good billhook :D

cheers,
Toddy

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Might not be it's primary purpose, but it's an incredibly useful tool is a good billhook :D

Massively agree with that, such a useful tool, mine gets so much use...plus buying a well made antique and restoring it is massively cheap as well in comparison with something like an axe. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Excellent video Jonathan,

You're preaching to the long ago converted here. My billhook was always at hand in my forestry days such a useful thing and for bushcraft a brilliantly adaptable tool. Don't know why they aren't more popular (well I do it's because certain celebrity bushcrafters don't use them:rolleyes:) But I think if I had to survive with one tool it'd be a toss up between my billhook and a good knife and I think the billhook may win.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
These are the "before" and "after" shots of my billhook, which I was given by a friend who is a hedgelayer.

yDiyw6Nl.jpg

aQIUHDBl.jpg

I know nothing about it other than I know it isn't as sharp as I'd like; I must keep working on the edge with that stone. I've not really used it but I'll have to try it for roughing out spoon blanks; thanks for the tip.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for your comments :)
I solely use a billhook to carve with and I also love, the extra weight is also very useful for quick wood removal..

But strangely enough I've ghad almost the exact same idea as you, a long narrow blade for manoeuvrability..if anyone had anything like that which they can report on maybe?

One thing I found was that the "weighted forward" blade shape made it harder and tiring to exert fine control. After all the primary task of a billhook is to sever poles in coppice and hedge's, so fine precision isnt so important there. But the sharp penetrating bite from the thin blade was definately impressive, more fierce than the roselli. Maybe the gansfor carver axe is thin bladed too? Then again the roselli can split if necessary....Perhaps the solution is just as simple as a billhook with the round nose modified to a seax or goosewing type point?
cheers Jonathan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tapanga/ panga's are pretty good :D In the W. Indies the cutlass is the agricultural labourers cutting tool.

The Brazilian's have taken it a stage further though.
"The Brazilian Army's Instruction Center on Jungle Warfare developed a machete with a blade 10 inches (25 cm) in length and a very pronounced clip point. This machete is issued with a 5-inch Bowie knife and a sharpening stone in the scabbard; collectively called a "jungle kit" (Conjunto de Selva in Portuguese); it is manufactured by Indústria de Material Bélico do Brasil"

cheers,
Toddy

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
On a slight sideways thought does anyone know the origin of the name Billhook? I don't know just interested in how some things get there name.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I think that a Billhook/Machete. Is the most versatile useful bushcraft or survival tool, you can get. Obviously different ones have different ergonomics, blade geometry. Figure out what it is you want from your blade and go from there. There are some name brands that do terrible blades. You will often hear, use what the locals use. Good advice, but take into account the economic conditions the locals are in. Ie a couple of dollars a day, they spend a couple of days wages on their kit. Still the quality can be lacking.
A good quality, billhook or machete regardless of who made it, where. The best wilderness tool you can get in my opinion.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE