Using a 1 micron filter bag as a Millbank bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Your link didn't work for me but I reckon the filter will do fine. A Millbank only removes sediment and particles anyway so there's still a need to boil the water. I used a buff on my last trip as I couldn't bothered messing about with my filter which was packed away, anything to get the lumpy bits out is good enough.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Hayden, I should think the flow rate on these would be slow at 1micron without a good waterhead to push it through. As Shewie says the millbank is solely to remove debri so that when chemical treatment is applied there are no 'bits' that could protect cysts etc.
A millbank bag is also very durable being cleaned by turning inside out and flushing. Wouldn't 1micron take some cleaning to prevent reduction over time of the flow rate?
If you know this already please excuse my comments. Alan

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
one of those would work fine, i micron might take some time though, you can use an old t/shirt to filter water, as above it only gets rid of the bits...

you could even sew an old t/shirt into a tube shape with one end closed, and that would const next to nout, maybe double layer it just to make sure...

you could also bung it in the washing machine when you get home to clean it up...:)

jobs a fish.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Would something like a coffee filter paper be OK to strain the bits out the water and then either boil or chemical disinfect?

I have a mill bank bag and also a Katadyn combi-filter which gets the water along with some chlorine as near to tap water as possible but am trying to reduce my pack weight a bit for a potential Lake District visit.

I would not have the fuel to boil all my water so most of it will have to be chemically treated after filtering.

Steve.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I picked up a 1 micron filter bag a few weeks back for about £2. It was my intention to use is a pre filter. It has a really slow filter rate which I found could the imporved by first thoughly soaking the bag but this still hgave a rather slow flow rate. In the end I cut a circle out of the bag folded it to form a cone then filled a 1 liter plastic bottle with water and user a length of rope to tie the cone filter to the neck of the bottle and then queezed the bottle forcing the water through in a matter of seconds. while I doubt the filter will will be very long lived it is a cheap easy to use and light weight.

Last edited:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not really.

As has been said Millbank bags are a "pre filter" to remove the larger debris. A 1μm bag will soon clog and will need a pre-filter anyway.

μm isn't fine enough to stop all the biological nasties ie virus, some bacteria. Also these filters take an age to dry and go mouldy very quickly

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE