USGI mug and cooker

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
(let's see if I can get this post in the right forum :))

Hi all
Just one last bit of help for this morning. I like messing around with stoves, trying to get the best mix of kit for the trip. What I don't have in my collection is the USGI cook system that fits into the waterbottle pouch. I have seen them around of course but all the ones I have seen lately have what appears to be a pretty cheapo version of the cooker stand. The one I'm after has a solid base with drilled holes/perferations and looks to be made of sturdier alu stock.
Any help much appreciated as usual

Thanks
Sack

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven't personally tried either myself but from all the comments on BCUSA it appears the older one is more liked. The older one is the one without a bottom. It's also the more rare however.

I wish I could post a link but I don't know how so I'll advise how to find it instead. Go to Buscraft USA and select search; then enter "Anyone Use The New Issue Canteen Cup Stove" There's a good discussion there with several links for both the old type and the new one you're looking for as well as mods some users have done.

Good luck.

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi gang..hey santaman2000 i think the G.I. version with the fully closed bottom is the 1st model , the 2nd model is the newer version and has no bottom and has vent holes and the one we see most often at the surplus store...by the way the Canadian Army also use the 2nd model stove to heat thier meals as well..yes thier is a cheap thin chicom/tiawan knockoff stove base being sold at surplus stores lately,i guess now in the U.K. aswell as supplys of both models of the stove base are starting to dry up..i do'nt think the U.S. Military use the stove base any more because we use the heaters in the MRE's for the meals..any way be carefull when you buy any surplus item and make sure it's the real deal..vince g. 11B Infantry...

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Thanks you lot...you never fail to impress...
But the winner is shortymcsteve. That is the exact set up I am after...now to sell a child ;)

Cheers shorty

Sack

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Thanks you lot...you never fail to impress...
But the winner is shortymcsteve. That is the exact set up I am after...now to sell a child ;)

Cheers shorty

Sack

No problem, a lot of the US guys always talk about Canteen shop and they seems to have a good service.
You should watch a few of their videos regarding the stand, they also give a list of uses for it.

I started a thread here before asking about the US kit and a guy called Mike from Texas chimed in with a really useful post, he seems to have all the kit including the canteen shop grill and heavy lid.
Check out his post here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66825&p=857378#post857378

The original US stove has a stamp/serial number on it to tell you its the real deal, so if anyone reading this is after one then watch out for the fakes!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think most of you already know but for those who don't the following may or may not affect your decisions. When you see references to the capacity of the US gear remember the differences in US and Emperial measure as well as the conversion to metric.

US Volume.............................................................Emperial Volume
1 US cup=8 ounces ..............................................1 Emperial cup=10 ounces
1 US pint=16 ounces.............................................1 Emperial pint=20 Ounces
1 US quart=32 Ounces..........................................1 Emperial quart=40 ounces

I don't mean to give a math lesson rather just remind everybody to allow for the differences before deciding on gear.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE